Scale question

Options
When weighing stuff like Speg. sauce "liquid" type foods do you weigh the bowl first then put in sauce and subtract the bowl weight? (oh please tell me I make sense)

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    On my scale, I can "tare" (zero out) the bowl, so I put the bowl on first, tare it, then pour in the sauce. If I couldn't do that, I guess I'd subtract the weight of the bowl as you said, though.
  • militarywife100
    Options
    yes thats how i would do it...
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Either that, or use a measuring jug for liquids, since most liquids are measured in fl oz, and not grams or oz.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    yes that is right if you cant "tare" it to zero
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    Hmmm I wonder if I can do that Must go look now LOL that would make things SO much easier!
  • Horuke
    Horuke Posts: 11
    Options
    Yes you would subtract the weight of the bowl. Newer scales can cancel the weight of the vessel this is called the tare function.
  • georgiag111
    Options
    Thanks again everyone been here 30 days and I swear I learn something new everyday with all my dumb questions!
  • sheryl3424
    sheryl3424 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Most scales have the ability to be adjusted to zero WITH the weight of the bowl. If you have a spring-loaded scale (non-digital) look for a little button that you can turn to reset th scale to zero when the bowl is on the scale. For digital scales, there should be a TARE button that will reset to zero with the bowl in place.

Good luck!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Liquids I measure in a liquid measuring cup. The weight in ounces will be different from the volume of FLUID ounces.

Sauces I'll use measuring spoons to measure.

I want a scale for measuring other things. Most higher end scales will have a zero calibration to push after you put the dish/bowl on then whatever you add is weighed. Some are glass and you can just put the stuff straight on scale and clean it off.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I use measuring cups for liquids, or measuring jugs as someone else referenced! Much simpler.
  • georgiag111
    Options
    Thanks everyone Main question was the Bowl part and YAY I just looked I have that option and just played with it lol TY!
  • Justcallmejenny
    Options
    I put the bowl on then I turn on the scale.
  • DavidForthoffer
    Options
    Tare is great!

For example, if I want to add 10 grams of olive oil to a frying pan that's too hot or heavy for the scale, I put the bottle of olive oil on the scale, tare it, then alternate between pouring olive oil into the frying pan and weighing the bottle. When the bottle weighs -10 (minus ten), I know I have added 10 grams to the frying pan.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Tare is great!

For example, if I want to add 10 grams of olive oil to a frying pan that's too hot or heavy for the scale, I put the bottle of olive oil on the scale, tare it, then alternate between pouring olive oil into the frying pan and weighing the bottle. When the bottle weighs -10 (minus ten), I know I have added 10 grams to the frying pan.
    I never thought of doing this before. I have had the problem of certain pans being too heavy to weigh and this is a great solution! Thanks!