Damaged metabolism !

Options
13»

Replies

• NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Science seems to suggest that yo-yo dieting with very low calorie intake can do unpleasant things to a person's metabolism. But even then a person in that category can still be healthy and can still lose weight. You don't seem to be in that category.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    NancyYale wrote: »
    Science seems to suggest that yo-yo dieting with very low calorie intake can do unpleasant things to a person's metabolism. But even then a person in that category can still be healthy and can still lose weight. You don't seem to be in that category.

Whats yoyo dieting exactly?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »

Whats yoyo dieting exactly?

Losing and regaining weight repeatedly.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm a 6' tall guy who netted less calories per week for 6 months. I'm safely eating 4k per day now. Your metabolism isn't damaged, promise.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    One of the big problems with yoyo dieting is that most people who do it lose weight in a manner that does not optimize muscle retention. They then regain the weight in a manner that optimizes fat rather than muscle gain. Then they repeat the cycle over and over again. A few times of doing that can really affect your overall bf%, which has an effect on how many calories you burn.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

I thought this had been debunked?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »

I thought this had been debunked?

See what jemhh said. The effects on body composition based on how people are doing the dieting can have an impact.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    So I'm confused...I thought that once you begin putting weight back on you regain whatever muscle you lost during the weight loss.

ETA- If you are eating enough protein and doing resistance training muscle loss is minimal and usually bounces back after calorie deficit is stopped. Is this correct?

Not to be confused with yo yo dieting slowing metabolism. Two separate things correct?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    So I'm confused...I thought that once you begin putting weight back on you regain whatever muscle you lost during the weight loss.

ETA- If you are eating enough protein and doing resistance training muscle loss is minimal and usually bounces back after calorie deficit is stopped. Is this correct?

Not to be confused with yo yo dieting slowing metabolism. Two separate things correct?

Yes, two separate things.