New here - feeling pretty weak and hungry - could use some support.

Hi there:

I am working on losing about 5-8 pounds over 7 weeks or so. I am 12/13 days in and almost 2pounds down.

Looking for some support/suggestions. I am feeling pretty shaky/hungry by meal time. I am doing 3 meals a day. 2000/2100 calories. I am eating better quality carbs - oatmeal,quinoa (instead of white rice), and sweet potato to increase my fibre.

Im eating like: 45% fat, 30 Protein & 25% Carbs.

I'm eating lean, high quality protein with each meal (chicken/fish/beef/eggs/bacon) all grass fed/organic/pasteurized, vegetables, broccoli/cauliflower, squash.

How hungry do you feel while reducing calories - are we suppose to suffer and feel weak? I wasn't for the first week/10 days. But last few days I am just dying for the next meal and it's all i can think about.

I am upping my water intake since yesterday as that's the only thing I can see may have changed since I started to feel hungrier.

Replies

• Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Are you exercising? If you are, make sure you are eating back at least half of those calories. If not, you may still want to increase them. Being shaky/hungry/weak is not good! Your food choices seem fine to me, but you may want to add a snack or a meal if there is a long stretch between meal times. I need to eat 4 or 5 times a day, I just do 3 meals and a snack or two.
  • luv2teez
    luv2teez Posts: 5 Member
    Heya, yes I am. So, eating back half of my exercise "earned" calories?
  • luv2teez
    Also, what type of snacks do you eat. I am newer to eating 3 meals a day have always been 5/6 never concerned with calories either. :/
  • whizbang52
    whizbang52 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi there... shaky/hungry happens for me when i have low blood sugar....cold sweat too....almost a feeling like i had a few drinks. Im type 2 diabetic so it's something i have to watch closely. Ive started to do exercise since July...regularly...like every other day....oddly i got hooked. The hungry feeling started when i just took in less calories....but over time (say 2 weeks) that started to subside when i started spread out meals/snacks. And since i started using this app...ive been able to really track my intake better. A real eye opener. Im operating on a 1400/1900 calorie a day goal.... a target i try for....but i do not get discouraged if i blow it here or there, I just get back on the horse (so to speak). Cycling to get my HR up for a good 45m/1hr each time i go out on the road, or the gym..has been the best for me as i have terrible knees so running is out of the question for now. Hydration is always important...but just dont go overboard with that....too much and bad things can happen. Just keep trying! You'll find your groove.... it took me about a month to find it..... and now 4 months in..... I feel great....so glat i kept at it.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,633 Member
    maby you're not eating enough times. Why not spread those calories throughout the day & have several small meals? My hubby feels like that if he doesn't eat every 3-4 hours.
  • luv2teez
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to add a 4th meal and see how it goes. Looking back over the past few days too I do wonder if coffee has been partially to blame. I haven't drank it for years but have had some over the past few days. I added a small snack in today and will see what happens.
  • Showthyme
    Showthyme Posts: 23 Member
    Try eating a meal or two without the oatmeal, rice or sweet potato. I am not suggesting that you eliminate these things from your diet. Instead, I am suggesting that you only eat one of these things each day. You may have a sensitivity (gluten) to one of these. Add back one of these every few days. See if helps.
  • kkrober25
    kkrober25 Posts: 16 Member
    Showthyme wrote: »
    Try eating a meal or two without the oatmeal, rice or sweet potato. I am not suggesting that you eliminate these things from your diet. Instead, I am suggesting that you only eat one of these things each day. You may have a sensitivity (gluten) to one of these. Add back one of these every few days. See if helps.

None of the things you listed contain gluten...
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    luv2teez wrote: »
    Also, what type of snacks do you eat. I am newer to eating 3 meals a day have always been 5/6 never concerned with calories either. :/

It might just be because you're used to eating more frequently. Like a previous poster, I sometimes feel a bit shaky if I go too long without food and my blood sugar dips. I have also found that sometimes I feel hungry when I'm really not, just because counting calories makes you think about food a lot! ;)

Is there a particular reason you want to eat three meals a day? The number, timing and frequency of meals doesn't matter for weight loss, although it might make a difference to your hunger, cravings and/or satiation. All that matters purely for weight loss is the amount of calories you consume in total, not when you consume them. :)

I also want to add that depending on your current weight, height, etc. you may or may not be able to achieve your goal of 5-8lbs in 7 weeks. If you're already close to a good weight and that's all you want to lose then it may take longer, so have patience. :)