Eating Out (Sushi) Plan

Options
I am going out for sushi with a couple of girlfriends to celebrate the midway point in the school term. It's the first time I'll have gone out for a meal since I starting losing weight. I was wondering if it is a good idea to have a salad at home before dinner? Or should I just reduce my eating over the day (no snacks) to accommodate having 2 sushi rolls instead of one? I don't want to mess up my progress too much and sushi is one of my favourite meals.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    When I'm going out to eat with friends I exercise more earlier in the day. However, these are BIG meals - how much higher in calories is sushi than what you normally have for dinner?
  • Baxie23
    Baxie23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Having two sushi rolls would be around 600 calories when I usually have about 350 for dinner.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You could also look at your weekly goals and adapt a little bit each day to fit in the sushi- and maybe some miso too :)
    I love sushi too.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Why not just enjoy the extra roll of 250 calories?

This would still keep you in a deficit.

We are only talking 14% or 1/6 of a single pound of weight loss difference. Not really much to worry about, unless you feel that 250 cals would derail you.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    You could also eat sashimi instead of sushi or rolls if you are really worried about calories.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    When you forsake your favorite foods in the name of dieting you are setting yourself up for failure. Eat a salad, drink water, eat in moderation. Sushi is delicious.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I eat light during the day when I go out for sushi. Although I quickly learned I can't eat as much as I used to!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Get some miso soup to start. It's delicious, will add hardly any calories to your meal and might help you feel a little fuller. But, honestly, 600 calories is completely reasonable for a dinner out and will have basically no effect on your weightloss. Enjoy your meal out and don't freak out when the scales jump up the next day; it's just water retention from the sodium.