Help needed please

Options
Can someone please help me figure my maintance calories I'm 4"11 39.5 years old sedentary and 85 pounds I can't get a consistent number please help me thank u

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Have you been tracking your calories in for a while?
  • ajonetteg
    ajonetteg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The constant is about 1,342 to maintenance your weight. I can figure out of my calories it would be to lose your gain weight if you like
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    cnjg420 wrote: »
    ajonetteg wrote: »
    The constant is about 1,342 to maintenance your weight. I can figure out of my calories it would be to lose your gain weight if you like

What?

The calculator I used came in at 1159 to maintain HOWEVER your BMI was only 17.2.

If you have been tracking for a year you should be able to use your own data to calculate your TDEE. I had a quick peek through your diary and see you eat between 1100-1200 per day. Have you gained/lost/maintained over the last say 2 months. I didnt notice any exercise adj so not sure if you dont exercise or dont track exercise.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options

What?

The calculator I used came in at 1159 to maintain HOWEVER your BMI was only 17.2.

If you have been tracking for a year you should be able to use your own data to calculate your TDEE. I had a quick peek through your diary and see you eat between 1100-1200 per day. Have you gained/lost/maintained over the last say 2 months. I didnt notice any exercise adj so not sure if you dont exercise or dont track exercise.

I don't track exercise I just do weights 20 min a day three days a week. And I have lost weight only ounces in the past couple months

If you have lost only ounces and not pounds in the past couple of months then you are pretty much at maintenance now.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

What?

I don't track exercise I just do weights 20 min a day three days a week. And I have lost weight only ounces in the past couple months

I'm not understanding why you don't you think you already know your maintenance calories?
    No calculator could be more accurate than your own results.

Are you happy at just 85lbs ?
  • ahoy_m8
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Have you been tracking your calories in for a while?

Yes I have about a year

Great! Next question: has your activity/exercise been pretty consistent for a stretch of 2-3 months during that year?
    If so, you can calculate your observed TDEE rather than estimating with an online calculator. FWIW, the Scooby calculator is within 10 calories of my observed TDEE, but if you are confident in your tracking, using your own data will give you the most accurate result.
  • ahoy_m8
    edited November 2016
    Options

What?

oops.... missed this. Congratulations! You have in fact already observed your maintenance calories!
  • sijomial
    Options
    So I need to stay eating 1100 calories and under 1200

The only way to test if you can eat more is to actually eat more, not for a short time either as a minor fluctuation masks a trend.
    Add 100 cals and if your weight trends ever so slightly upwards and in 35 days you have gained a pound you have your answer.

If you don't gain, increase again.

You might be surprised and find that a period of eating very low has down regulated your activity.
  • sijomial
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

The only way to test if you can eat more is to actually eat more, not for a short time either as a minor fluctuation masks a trend.
    Add 100 cals and if your weight trends ever so slightly upwards and in 35 days you have gained a pound you have your answer.

If you don't gain, increase again.

You might be surprised and find that a period of eating very low has down regulated your activity.

Increase 100 calories daily or weekly?

Add 100 to your daily goal and stay at that new goal for a month.
  • sijomial
    Options
    How many pound fluctuation is ok for maintenance in a month

That's very individual and you have to learn your patterns and triggers for yourself.
    I can fluctuate 3lbs in a day, 5lbs in a week.
    A colleague of mine rarely fluctuates more than a few ounces.
  • ahoy_m8
    edited November 2016
    Options

There are a couple reasons using your own tracking history is more accurate than calculators. One reason is it accounts for the way you personally track. E.g. you may habitually underestimate something. If you use your own tracking history to ascertain TDEE, you will be underestimating it the same way going forward, so the inaccuracy nets out even. In this case, your *real* TDEE might be higher than 1100, but for the way you personally track, it is effectively 1100. You are petite, so if your tracking is very accurate, this may be the correct number, but it sounds low. I think you are underweight?

Similarly, weighing yourself daily (first thing upon waking after using restroom before drinking anything) and tracking that will show you the fluctuation normal for you. Personally, a 28-day moving average is most accurate for me because it encompasses a whole menstrual cycle, netting out those associated fluctuations.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Am I blind or something? So many replies...
    The OP has 17 BMI!! They are dangerously underweight! Why is noone comenting on this?

OP, why are you trying to maintain on 85lbs? You should be trying to gain OR/AND consult a doctor.
  • Heart_Fit
    Heart_Fit Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Am I blind or something? So many replies...
    The OP has 17 BMI!! They are dangerously underweight! Why is noone comenting on this?

OP, why are you trying to maintain on 85lbs? You should be trying to gain OR/AND consult a doctor.

My guess would be because the OP is only 4' 11 ....