Clothes shopping after weightloss

Options
I'm having a hard time with shopping for new clothes. I automatically go to the size I used to be and feel uncomfortable looking at the smaller sizes. And it seems like every brand fits different. What brands are the most flattering? I don't want pants that squeeze my tummy or skinny jeans. Just regular boot cut.

Replies

• Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I like Old Navy, but everything fits everyone differently. You'll just have to try a bunch on until you find the ones you like. ;)
  • KatKat1209
    KatKat1209 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I like Esprit and Levis for pants - Though not sure if the first is known/available where you live :)
  • Brittanypomales
    Brittanypomales Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had that same mission this weekend. The trend is skinny jeans so I kept seeing them everywhere but I just wanted a simple bootcut. It took a bit but I finally found something. Good luck!
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I have luck with Macy's Charter Club jeans.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    It's hard work at first but you will get used to it. I found myself confused because of the sheer amount of choice when you are smaller. you just try everything on until you see what's suits you best. I usually go for jeggings instead of jeans
  • meierhofer21
    meierhofer21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • HollyMGT
    HollyMGT Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've always had good luck with New York and Company.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Cmon you skinny thing .. you need some hardship now that you're thin. :) I like Limited Express ..stores like that ..they have mannequins with different styles of jeans with labels right there to look at .. so they have the skinny..then boot leg.. flare ..and curvy.. so you can grab a pair of each.. try them on and see what you like for your shape. Have fun with it!!!
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have a long way to go still but down 60 and I always hit under big clothes....now I don't know how they should fit. do they look too tight or are they just fitted? I have a hard time shopping g
  • ejb499
    ejb499 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to get used to the fact that I could shop for smaller clothes. I remember the moment actually: I was at Costco and there was an awesome Seahawks hoodie that I liked. I hadn't bought any clothes in awhile because I was on the fence about what size to buy. I hoped that I could wear an XL but I guess part of me didn't want to try it on because I would be a little devastated if it still didn't fit. After some wavering I decided to buy the XL, not the XXL or the XXXL that I am used to. I took it out to my car and immediately tried it on and it fit great! That was a big moment of triumph for me and ever since then I cannot stop buying clothes LOL. I've pretty much replaced my wardrobe now but I definitely look and feel better!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I love Old Navy for jeans. They have a bit of stretch and are comfortable to wear.
  • fairviewim
    fairviewim Posts: 8 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    One thing that's handy and has lots of different brands is Goodwill. I've lost 71 lbs., 264 to 193, with about 55 - 60 to go) and I've gone from size 24+ to 18 on the bottom and 2x to L on top. Thrift stores are great when you're looking for new pants and tops every few months and can't afford to spend hundreds for every size change.

I used to (and still like) Gloria Vanderbilt, Liz Claiborne, and even bought my first pair of Levi's in years. Of course, it also depends on your age on what style you'll gravitate towards. I'm having trouble finding non-skinny, more cotton, less spandex jeans, too. That will definitely not be a good look for me, even when I get to goal weight, as I'm still going to have an unflattering stomach, so I definitely don't want that emphasized.

You just have to try on each pair. Even the same brand and size can fit differently. It's maddening.

Also, it's really a weird feeling shopping in the non-plus side of stores for clothes.
  • ContemporaryCottage
    Options
    I like high waisted stretchy and soft jeans .
  • ferret150
    ferret150 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would definately go with Old Navy. It's affordable and you can still find nice things. I'm down 67 pounds and that's the first place I went. They do sell bootcuts. I am not into the whole skinny jean thing either.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I'd just grab a few different sizes and try on the biggest first and hope the others fit better.

Goodwill and other thrift stores are great when not wanting to spend a lot.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    When I last bought jeans, I could not find my size (50WX30L) in any of the stores in town, so I ended up buying online.

Last weekend my wife was looking for winter stuff at Mark's, so I wandered over to the jeans. Sure, now they have what was my size, but I couldn't find what I am now wearing (46W). But since they were $15, I bought 44w and 42w.

Just ticked me off that they now have the 50W and I don't want them anymore....
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Old navy, and I'll be honest I know what size I am, and I do want to be smaller, but I'll always grab a size or two bigger when trying jeans on so I can go out and ask for a smaller size o:) Jeans shopping can be a little disheartening and I always find it boosts my confidence
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    so I jave no jogging pants as I just donated then all they alert too big. I wanted to play in the snow with my son and I found a size large in tje basement I can't remember when I wore a large anything without numerous x's in front at least 13 years are go. the large fit I know it's jogging pants amd they are stretchy but it was are large!!

I danced around the house all night in those ugly size large pants
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Aww good job Treehugn. :-)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    fairviewim wrote: »
    One thing that's handy and has lots of different brands is Goodwill. I've lost 71 lbs., 264 to 193, with about 55 - 60 to go) and I've gone from size 24+ to 18 on the bottom and 2x to L on top. Thrift stores are great when you're looking for new pants and tops every few months and can't afford to spend hundreds for every size change.

I used to (and still like) Gloria Vanderbilt, Liz Claiborne, and even bought my first pair of Levi's in years. Of course, it also depends on your age on what style you'll gravitate towards. I'm having trouble finding non-skinny, more cotton, less spandex jeans, too. That will definitely not be a good look for me, even when I get to goal weight, as I'm still going to have an unflattering stomach, so I definitely don't want that emphasized.

You just have to try on each pair. Even the same brand and size can fit differently. It's maddening.

Also, it's really a weird feeling shopping in the non-plus side of stores for clothes.

Oh yes, gotta love Goodwill! Can't even tell you how many wardrobes I've been through at Goodwill the last 2 1/2 years. Bought, gave back, bought, gave back, many times, from size 28 to 10/12.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!