What foods surprised you the most, calorie-wise?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Tylre4815
    Tylre4815 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You probably shouldn't have assumed veganism "automatically meant low-calorie." The fault does not lie on the food but on your ignorance of learning what you were really eating. I am vegan and NEVER have to worry about eating too many calories. My motto is to eat as much as I can/care for. I've even reached a healthy weight eating like that. Sorry you had a bad experience, but it seems you're upset at something that was really your fault.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Happy: Cheetos cheese puffs. The weight serving contains much more than the count (50 puffs) serving.
    Sad: Any nut butter, mayonnaise, pasta, ground beef, striploin steak.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Everything. Seriously. Even veggies. 40 calories for 100g of carrots is not 'few calories'. Worst surprise maybe was bagels. 400 calories in a plain bagel. Sheesh.

I think that the only thing I always assumed was worse than it is is caramels. I always thought they were like 50-100 calories each.. but nope, typically only 25-30. And maybe shrimp and white fish.

I regularly eat bagels and they're around 260 calories-with cream cheese it puts me at around 300 calories. These are store bought ones though, I imagine ones from places like Panera Bread are quite a bit higher.

There is a difference between the Montreal and NY style bagels.

The ones from St Viateur are around 260 calories for the entire bagel. Then comes the butter and cream cheese..
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    i'm a vegetarian (who is lactose intolerant) so I am generally ALL FOR vegan desserts... but you wouldn't believe the amount of crap i see on instagram and facebook that is labeled "SUPER HEALTHY GUILT FREE VEGAN DESSERT" or touted as a substitute for other common desserts. I cringe soooo hard because as you said many (if not MOST) have far more calories than the original item they are trying to emulate.

Dates and cashews as a crust? there goes 1,400 calories. Soaked cashews as a "cheesecake" filling? There goes another 2,000. Don't get me started on the peanut butter or almond butter...

I could go on, but it is just AWFUL and DECEITFUL and i do my best to call all of these people out. Shame on anyone who purposely tries to deceive others into thinking that something is more healthy/lower calories simply because it is vegan.

I think the point to these things is that they're meant for people who aren't dieting, and they are meant as a healthier treat food. Not healthy as in "low calorie", but healthy as in high nutrients, low refined sugar, etc (usually). Nuts aren't bad for you, we need healthy fats in our diet and vegans (especially health conscious ones) often don't get a lot of it usually as we don't get it from animal products like meat or milk.

Personally, I prefer eating smaller amounts of a high calorie vegan treat made out of nuts and fruit to having a larger vegan pastry, as the first option will be more satisfying and will make me feel less sick than a big greasy pastry. Although those apple doughnuts do look gross, I've never liked the idea of fresh apple combined with chocolate.
  • tionellewilkinson16
    Options
    grilled wings , avacado, crackers, flatbread , irish potato salad and boiled yuca :( my fav foods
  • drivennightrunner87
    drivennightrunner87 Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You probably shouldn't have assumed veganism "automatically meant low-calorie." The fault does not lie on the food but on your ignorance of learning what you were really eating. I am vegan and NEVER have to worry about eating too many calories. My motto is to eat as much as I can/care for. I've even reached a healthy weight eating like that. Sorry you had a bad experience, but it seems you're upset at something that was really your fault.

U again?! didn't your pastor tell u not to come on this site haha.... "eat as much as i can/care for" ..what does that mean? whether you eat mcdonald's or kfc or nutty vegan desserts everyday...u can still lose weight consistently by sticking to your personalized daily caloric intake plan (ie. lose, maintain, gain) + however much u burn factored in...over-doing anything on a daily basis would most likely cause gain for the general pop. unless you're willing to spend half of your day on the treadmill
  • KetoKris
    KetoKris Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Corn has 600 calories per cup??? I see that listed but I don't believe it. I can eat a TON of corn. And based on my box of Green Giant Frozen Corn, it has just over 100 per cup.

For me the realization that my 'healthy' yogurt had nearly 300 calories was a real eye opener. I immediately stopped eating it and saved 1200 calories per week.

Dannon light and fit greek taste pretty good and only 80 calories

• VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot a surprising calorie filled discovery- olives! They're so good though so I eat them regularly :heart:
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I got offered to have something brought back from Wood Ranch BBQ so I was browing their nutritional info. I have a bunch of calories left for the day and was thinking maybe a steak salad or something, or I really like a decent chicken caesar so I browsed the salads. I know calories have hidden dressings but holy *kitten*:

Full caesar salad, no dressing: 117 cals
    With dressing: 824!!!!

Full Tuscan kale salad: 293
    With dressing: 614

Full Natalie's salad (has nuts I think): 593
    With dressing: 1076

To be fair the dressing is the best part of a caesar but daaaaaang. I ordered shrimp instead.
  • drivennightrunner87
    Options
    I got offered to have something brought back from Wood Ranch BBQ so I was browing their nutritional info. I have a bunch of calories left for the day and was thinking maybe a steak salad or something, or I really like a decent chicken caesar so I browsed the salads. I know calories have hidden dressings but holy *kitten*:

Full caesar salad, no dressing: 117 cals
    With dressing: 824!!!!

Full Tuscan kale salad: 293
    With dressing: 614

Full Natalie's salad (has nuts I think): 593
    With dressing: 1076

To be fair the dressing is the best part of a caesar but daaaaaang. I ordered shrimp instead.

800-1100 calories is like one entire medium-sized meat-topped frozen pizza cooked in the oven...and NOTHING compares to a whole pizza all to yourself :DDDD
  • crazycatcuddler
    crazycatcuddler Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tzatziki! It was lower than I thought.

Skinless salmon had a higher fat content than I thought. But I still eat it and fit it into my macros.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

LOL
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    We went to a Vegan restaurant, thinking that it would automatically be low-calorie. That was the worst day since I started this weight loss thing... and we eat local pizza and Chick-Fil-A every now and then. They had none of the calories listed online, but they told us after we ate what was in it. The tiny meal was 1500 calories and packed with nuts (=fat). Never again.

I agree - vegan places tend to be as high in calories as fast food!! just because of the amount of nuts used in the dressings and sauces. And then the vegan desserts, almost all nuts and fat!!

i'm a vegetarian (who is lactose intolerant) so I am generally ALL FOR vegan desserts... but you wouldn't believe the amount of crap i see on instagram and facebook that is labeled "SUPER HEALTHY GUILT FREE VEGAN DESSERT" or touted as a substitute for other common desserts. I cringe soooo hard because as you said many (if not MOST) have far more calories than the original item they are trying to emulate.

Dates and cashews as a crust? there goes 1,400 calories. Soaked cashews as a "cheesecake" filling? There goes another 2,000. Don't get me started on the peanut butter or almond butter...

I could go on, but it is just AWFUL and DECEITFUL and i do my best to call all of these people out. Shame on anyone who purposely tries to deceive others into thinking that something is more healthy/lower calories simply because it is vegan.

https://www.facebook.com/eatingbirdfood/videos/1332980726720873/

https://www.facebook.com/tastemade/videos/1191218440965321/

P.S. Here's one i saw just the other day.... at this point, have a real freakin donut!

You seem to be confusing the terms healthy and low calorie...
  • rainbowbow
    edited November 2016
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    We went to a Vegan restaurant, thinking that it would automatically be low-calorie. That was the worst day since I started this weight loss thing... and we eat local pizza and Chick-Fil-A every now and then. They had none of the calories listed online, but they told us after we ate what was in it. The tiny meal was 1500 calories and packed with nuts (=fat). Never again.

I agree - vegan places tend to be as high in calories as fast food!! just because of the amount of nuts used in the dressings and sauces. And then the vegan desserts, almost all nuts and fat!!

P.S. Here's one i saw just the other day.... at this point, have a real freakin donut!

My god... i thought i made it clear as day in my post. I'll re-address this for everyone.

Healthy is a relative term. Each and every day we have a certain amount of total energy (calories), carbs/proteins/fat (macronutrients), and vitamins and minerals (micronutrients) which are needed to keep us in tip top shape. One item in particular is not "healthy" ones overall diet is "healthy". Whether the foods we eat contribute to mostly macronutrients or mostly micronutrients it does not matter, what matters is the overall composition of our diet.

This goes without saying, but by simply controlling total energy (and maintaining a healthy body weight) along with regular activity, one is already more "healthy".

Should you consume lots and lots of foods high in vitamins and minerals (micronutrients), you do not get extra "goody points". Most of these are expelled as waste when our bodies have used what they need. In addition to this, this does not take into account total calories.

One can be overweight (and suffer all the chronic debilitating diseases it's associated with) while eating foods high in micronutrients.

To reiterate, foods which fulfil our needs for ALL THREE criteria is what makes up a "healthy" diet.

The average person i know has absolutely no clue about nutrition, how to build a balanced diet, how to hit macro and micronutrient needs while maintaining a proper calorie balance and more. To them when they see something is listed as "healthy" they think they can eat said food in abundance, that said food is "good" for them, and that it is a better alternative to a "standard" option.

In the case of these foods i'm referring to, they are being misrepresented to ignorant people. Often they contain significantly more calories than the foods they are trying to emulate AND often have less or the same amount of micronutrients. By substituting these foods for others you are not "being good", you are likely overconsuming total calories because you think you can.

Again, simply because the one item in your diet has fiber and micronutrients does not mean it contributes to an overall healthy diet.

p.s. the reason why i laughed at the comment made by tyler is that i actually do know what is in my diet and what i consume overall. This industry is my profession and i work with hundreds of people who don't know.

I am under no illusion that these foods are healthier simply because they contain no animal products. Quite often they are misled into believing that these foods are better for them, lower calorie/lighter options, or that they hold some sort of positive trait above other items. When a "healthy" dessert made up of mostly sugar and fat holding a whopping 2,400 calories per serving is described as a "healthy vegan alternative" they are doing a disservice to ignorant people.

p.p.s. it's also insane to suggest that the "natural" sugars (dates, raisins, honey, agave) are somehow better than a recipe with granulated sugar in them. Sugar is sugar. This is another pet peeve. Don't get me started on the "packed with protein balls" i see everywhere which are made up of peanut butter, oats, honey, and cocoa. They are roughly 200 calories a piece and have less than 4 grams of protein.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »

My god... i thought i made it clear as day in my post. I'll re-address this for everyone.

Healthy is a relative term. Each and every day we have a certain amount of total energy (calories), carbs/proteins/fat (macronutrients), and vitamins and minerals (micronutrients) which are needed to keep us in tip top shape. One item in particular is not "healthy" ones overall diet is "healthy". Whether the foods we eat contribute to mostly macronutrients or mostly micronutrients it does not matter, what matters is the overall composition of our diet.

This goes without saying, but by simply controlling total energy (and maintaining a healthy body weight) along with regular activity, one is already more "healthy".

Should you consume lots and lots of foods high in vitamins and minerals (micronutrients), you do not get extra "goody points". Most of these are expelled as waste when our bodies have used what they need. In addition to this, this does not take into account total calories.

One can be overweight (and suffer all the chronic debilitating diseases it's associated with) while eating foods high in micronutrients.

To reiterate, foods which fulfil our needs for ALL THREE criteria is what makes up a "healthy" diet.

The average person i know has absolutely no clue about nutrition, how to build a balanced diet, how to hit macro and micronutrient needs while maintaining a proper calorie balance and more. To them when they see something is listed as "healthy" they think they can eat said food in abundance, that said food is "good" for them, and that it is a better alternative to a "standard" option.

In the case of these foods i'm referring to, they are being misrepresented to ignorant people. Often they contain significantly more calories than the foods they are trying to emulate AND often have less or the same amount of micronutrients. By substituting these foods for others you are not "being good", you are likely overconsuming total calories because you think you can.

Again, simply because the one item in your diet has fiber and micronutrients does not mean it contributes to an overall healthy diet.

p.s. the reason why i laughed at the comment made by tyler is that i actually do know what is in my diet and what i consume overall. This industry is my profession and i work with hundreds of people who don't know.

I am under no illusion that these foods are healthier simply because they contain no animal products. Quite often they are misled into believing that these foods are better for them, lower calorie/lighter options, or that they hold some sort of positive trait above other items. When a "healthy" dessert made up of mostly sugar and fat holding a whopping 2,400 calories per serving is described as a "healthy vegan alternative" they are doing a disservice to ignorant people.

p.p.s. it's also insane to suggest that the "natural" sugars (dates, raisins, honey, agave) are somehow better than a recipe with granulated sugar in them. Sugar is sugar. This is another pet peeve. Don't get me started on the "packed with protein balls" i see everywhere which are made up of peanut butter, oats, honey, and cocoa. They are roughly 200 calories a piece and have less than 4 grams of protein.

I love your posts just dead on!! do you have instagram?
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I love your posts just dead on!! do you have instagram?

I do, I'll PM you. :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    moesis wrote: »
    The Cheesecake Factory nutritional information is only available in states that require it and only in hard copy. Someone was nice enough to take pictures and post it however, link below.

http://calorielab.com/news/cheesecake-factory-calorie-counter/

CF is a nightmare on your waistline...that being said, the grilled chicken bacon avocado sandwich is 1000+ calories (w.o. fries ofc) and tastes amazingggg!

I really wonder how they manage to make a plain egg omelet 480 calories though.

waffle batter in the eggs to make them fluffy? or else half a dozen eggs. dang.