Butternut Squash

Options
2»

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash curry is the way to go.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I just put some left over roasted butternut squash in my turkey chili yesterday and let it simmer down--added a really nice flavor and cut the spicy-ness down a little.
  • erikfarrar
    erikfarrar Posts: 35 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Try kabocha squash. Even better, IMO. Invest in a food processor/blender/similar and make squash soups (add a couple green apples in for some tang) -- perfect for fall and winter! (Skip the cream though, if any recipes have it and you're looking to keep it light.)

E.g.: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/butternut_squash_apple_soup/
  • 888Butterfly888
    888Butterfly888 Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I do love butternut squash too. I should buy some more, thanks for reminding me.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    erikfarrar wrote: »
    Try kabocha squash. Even better, IMO. Invest in a food processor/blender/similar and make squash soups (add a couple green apples in for some tang) -- perfect for fall and winter! (Skip the cream though, if any recipes have it and you're looking to keep it light.)

E.g.: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/butternut_squash_apple_soup/

For some reason, I didn't like the kabocha.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm... My butternuts from the garden have cured and are ready to become dinner. I put soup and risotto on this week's menu. I LOVE butternut squash! :)
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I pressure cook it for 10 minutes then broil in the oven for 10, if I'm wanting it that way. Today I think I'll microwave one, haven't tried that yet, then stir fry.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't bother peeling it...just scrub real well .

You eat the skin? Or do you cut it off after cooking?

I know the poster you were talking to already answered, but from the other side of this very important question -- I eat the skin and enjoy it! You can try both and see which you prefer. :)
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I make a butternut squash soup that is Devine. I also love acorn squash. I avoid all potatoes so this makes an excellent mashed potato or sweet potato substitute. Al the fall squashes are great.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    This is known in Australia as butternut pumpkin.

I often have some roasted with roast lamb or beef - I do cut skin off first and then cut into pieces and put in pan with other roast veggies- usually carrot and potato.

also very easy to make pumpkin soup, I do that in winter in slow cooker.
    You could do it on stove top if you dont have a slow cooker

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »

I know the poster you were talking to already answered, but from the other side of this very important question -- I eat the skin and enjoy it! You can try both and see which you prefer. :)

Ditto.

Generally, nutrients concentrate near the skin in most vegetables - so when the skin is edible you get more bang for your buck if you eat it.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I tried delicata which is great. It's creamy like buttery sweet potatoes. Still favor butternut. I also tried carnival squash yesterday which is good. I'll try buttercup squash next weekend.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Yep, I eat the skin. That's butternut squash; for acorn squash & other varieties, I tend to roast it in the skin, cut in half, & eat the flesh out of the skin but not the skin itself. But BNS, yes.
  • blu_skye
    blu_skye Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Roast with coconut oil, salt, pepper - so good, like candy. :)