Shall I stop exercising?

Options
I have been trying to lose weight for months. I'm actually quite slim which I think makes it harder to lose weight, but I notice I've put weight on in the past year and I just want to lose about 10lbs to get back to where I was.

I exercise 3-4 times a week, usually 3 HIIT and one running/cardio session.

This makes me really hungry, and I struggle with self-control when I start eating. I don't eat too much during the day as I'm busy, I also do my gym at lunch time, which means I over-eat for dinners. The other week, I was didn't exercise once but also ate a LOT less. I lost more weight this week than I usually would so now I am thinking, shall I just not exercise for a month or so but eat a lot less and be a lot more conscious of what I am eating portion-wise and calorie-wise?

I just feel like I try to do it the right way (diet, exercise) but it isn't working because I have zero control when I'm hungry so if I don't exercise I won't be as hungry!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The question should point back to you.. what do you think? Do what feels right.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Do what feels right for you. I can't stand being hungry, it makes me focus constantly on when I'm eating next, so I eat more often and have a fairly low calorie deficit. I also hate to sweat and have crappy lung function, so my exercise is low to moderate intensity, not HIIT.

Why not split the difference? Exercise half as much (or often) but don't go entirely sedentary.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Personally, I had to stop with the HIIT because not only did it increase my appetite, but also made me less active during the day. I now only do it once a week in the evening and only for 10 or so minutes. I stick to low intensity (walking) and moderate intensity (slow jogging). I also don't do weight lifting as it does the same for me, I stick to short body weight sessions.

Do what feels right to you. Try exercising in the evening to see if the effect carries to next day (doesn't carry for me for short HIIT), try changing the type of exercise, try playing with your eating patterns (eating before vs after exercise, meal size, meal timing..etc). Just experiment with various things to see if you can manage to come up with a sustainable routine. You may or may not need to reduce/stop exercising.

Edit: one more thing comes to mind, are you eating back your exercise calories? It could simply be a case of not fueling your activity correctly, which sometimes leads to compensatory overeating.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I did no exercise during my weight loss phase and lost 50lbs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Although HIIT isn't a high calorie burner it can make some people disproportionally hungry.

Maybe try changing your exercise rather than stopping?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    amyfearis wrote: »
    I have been trying to lose weight for months. I'm actually quite slim which I think makes it harder to lose weight, but I notice I've put weight on in the past year and I just want to lose about 10lbs to get back to where I was.

I exercise 3-4 times a week, usually 3 HIIT and one running/cardio session.

This makes me really hungry, and I struggle with self-control when I start eating. I don't eat too much during the day as I'm busy, I also do my gym at lunch time, which means I over-eat for dinners. The other week, I was didn't exercise once but also ate a LOT less. I lost more weight this week than I usually would so now I am thinking, shall I just not exercise for a month or so but eat a lot less and be a lot more conscious of what I am eating portion-wise and calorie-wise?

I just feel like I try to do it the right way (diet, exercise) but it isn't working because I have zero control when I'm hungry so if I don't exercise I won't be as hungry!

If one is capable of exercise, one should exercise. Our bodies are meant to move. There are many benefits to exercise other than weight loss and many detriments of being sedentary. You're not locked into HIIT or running, however.

Sounds like you need to work on your meal timing so you don't get so hungry. You're not eating, not eating, not eating, and BOOM, you're ravenous. Eat more during the day. Have something ready for immediately after the gym. Smoothies are great for this.
  • applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    HIIT burns a lot of calories so it's only logical that your appetite will go through the roof. Do less HIIT and make sure you eat during the day and don't go hungry.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Cardio tends to increase appetite. Have you tried lifting weights instead?
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with injury the past 6 months, and couldn't exercise, not my favorite way at least ( i love cycling, but can't do it still because of it). Played some roller hockey here and there, did some walking, but nothing steady, not the way i used to ride. About a month ago i decided that i should do something, at least and I'm doing some body weight exercises, which isn't nearly as fun, but don't take 2-3 hours either, so i guess it's a compromise and better than not doing anything at all. I lose just fine, need to constantly update my wardrobe, which consists of getting things that are too big and not wearable anymore out of my closet. Exercise is more of a fitness tool, not weight loss. So you can try to change what you do, also how about try to play with your macros, your body might be craving fats or proteins in addition to what you're eating, and sends those hunger signals. Listen to your body. Sometimes i get that way too, and nothing seems to fill the void until i hit just the right thing, which is very often a handful of nuts for me, I'm nuts about nuts this days. Good luck, op.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    How do you feel with the extra 10 pounds if you just ignore the scale? If you are exercising a lot and handling it, maybe you are at a good weight for yourself.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    For me, not being hungry is more about what I eat than how much I eat...I find fat will satisfy my hunger and not leave me craving more food, but for some people carbs or protein are more satisfying...maybe try looking at your diary and macro ratios to determine if you have less hunger when you eat more of one or the other - or try experimenting with upping one for a few days/weeks and paying attention to how that impacts hunger levels.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OP I experienced the same thing when I increased my workouts. I was 2 lbs from my goal and I never managed to reach it - too hungry, and I have to be really deprive myself if I want to lose more now, so I'm just not motivated to do that (I actually gained a couple lbs back in 2 years, but lost inches, so it's all good). I really had no hunger issues until I started running/walking uphill/HIITs. Sigh.

I'm also afraid that decreasing exercise will not help me eat less at this point, so I feel kinda stuck.

I do agree that you have to look at what you're eating too - but I never changed my diet and just got hungrier, so I know there's something to it too. Unfortunately, it does mean that you have to change your diet if you don't want to go over every night too.

Either way, if you decide to cut down on workouts, please report to tell us if it changed your appetite! I'm curious.
  • amyfearis
    amyfearis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    OP I experienced the same thing when I increased my workouts. I was 2 lbs from my goal and I never managed to reach it - too hungry, and I have to be really deprive myself if I want to lose more now, so I'm just not motivated to do that (I actually gained a couple lbs back in 2 years, but lost inches, so it's all good). I really had no hunger issues until I started running/walking uphill/HIITs. Sigh.

I'm also afraid that decreasing exercise will not help me eat less at this point, so I feel kinda stuck.

I do agree that you have to look at what you're eating too - but I never changed my diet and just got hungrier, so I know there's something to it too. Unfortunately, it does mean that you have to change your diet if you don't want to go over every night too.

Either way, if you decide to cut down on workouts, please report to tell us if it changed your appetite! I'm curious.

Yeah this is exactly how I feel.

I just know that when I finished university, I wasn't exercising, eating less but was never starving... and I weighed over a stone less than now, actually was too thin. And I didn't exercise. I walked maybe 2 or 3 days but only to go shopping.

I think I'm going to try it for a month and see how it goes. I just need to re-jig my eating habits and routine before I tackle exercise. Also might try weights and core workouts instead of HIIT, and do 3x a week rather than 4x.
  • amyfearis
    amyfearis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    How do you feel with the extra 10 pounds if you just ignore the scale? If you are exercising a lot and handling it, maybe you are at a good weight for yourself.

Not good, I feel OK in the mirror but photos tell a different story in my problem areas, and I know that the 10lbs is there!