Any Phetermine Users?

Options
Are there any Phetermine Users out there?

I went and saw my Dr last night about possibly Weight Loss Surgery because of my struggle with losing weight and the need to lose it. And since my insurance has a 6 month wait policy, she put me on Phetermine.

She wants me to try it out for 30 days and see if it helps me.. and then decide from there.

Replies

• christinabgsu
    Options
    My husband uses it--do you have questions?
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Was just wondering what everyone's experience with it was
  • LimeyTart
    LimeyTart Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will jump on you about it here. I will tell you that I took it in February and March. I've always had a handle on the eating correctly but nothing was working for me, even with the addition of exercise. For whatever reason, it helped me get started losing.

Many people will tell you that it will all come back once you're off the pills, but that has not been my experience. I've been off almost four months and I've lost almost 40 more pounds since stopping. As long as you don't go back to any old habits and keep up the lifestyle change, things should (no guarantees, of course) be fine.
  • misssteen
    misssteen Posts: 2
    Options
    Adipex is the brand that I have used in the past... and i know atleast 10 ppl that has also used it. Only one good advice... know what you can handle...I have seen way to many ppl get addicted to them. Personally they helped me lose the 20 lbs I need to lose when I was 150 however when the dr prescribed them a year ago...now that I need to lose 80 to get back to my prepregnancy weight, they helped but not as well and I began getting small chest pains. Just be VERY careful with them and make sure you get your ekg before, after and during use. Good luck with it all. And remember...Healthy weight loss is around 2lbs per week. and also...exercise...the pills will shed the lbs...but wont burn off the fat or help build the muscle.
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will jump on you about it here. I will tell you that I took it in February and March. I've always had a handle on the eating correctly but nothing was working for me, even with the addition of exercise. For whatever reason, it helped me get started losing.

Many people will tell you that it will all come back once you're off the pills, but that has not been my experience. I've been off almost four months and I've lost almost 40 more pounds since stopping. As long as you don't go back to any old habits and keep up the lifestyle change, things should (no guarantees, of course) be fine.

A lot of people "jump" on people about taking weight loss pills because, generally speaking, this community is about taking ownership of your health shortcomings and making a LIFESTYLE change, which doesn't include a pill. You can't truly take credit for weight loss if a pill did it for you. If someone is like you and they took it upon themselves to allow the pill to be a catalyst to better decisions and a lifestyle change, then it could potentially be successful. But why not just take ownership now and make a change? One more note, many of those pills can have awful, unhealthy effects on the heart and other parts of the body. Read the small print. Is it really worth it?
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options
    Thanks - Alot of people don't know my situation.. so alot of people don't have to go through measures like myself. I'm not "overweight", I'm obese and I've hired a personal trainer, saw a nutrionist who told me I was doing it all right, and worked my butt off for 30lbs in 10 months - I have PCOS and Hypothyroidism which makes losing weight next to impossible. I have been trying to conceive for 4 years and just found out my tubes are blocked. I HAVE to lose this weight and this is my desperate measure.

I understand that losing at a fast pace COULD hinder my future, but I also know with hard work and determination which I have - it could mean a new life for me. I realize that both during and AFTER the phetermine I will have to work hard - I'm not doing it to get an easy route.. I'm doing it to better my future.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options
    Adipex is the brand that I have used in the past... and i know atleast 10 ppl that has also used it. Only one good advice... know what you can handle...I have seen way to many ppl get addicted to them. Personally they helped me lose the 20 lbs I need to lose when I was 150 however when the dr prescribed them a year ago...now that I need to lose 80 to get back to my prepregnancy weight, they helped but not as well and I began getting small chest pains. Just be VERY careful with them and make sure you get your ekg before, after and during use. Good luck with it all. And remember...Healthy weight loss is around 2lbs per week. and also...exercise...the pills will shed the lbs...but wont burn off the fat or help build the muscle.

I've read that's it can be addictive. My doctor went over this with me before she prescribed it. I'm not looking to just lose 20lbs or a few lbs, this needs to change my life - so I know with the determination, the help of my trainer and the help of my nurtrionist and doctor - I can and will succeed.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Thanks - Alot of people don't know my situation.. so alot of people don't have to go through measures like myself. I'm not "overweight", I'm obese and I've hired a personal trainer, saw a nutrionist who told me I was doing it all right, and worked my butt off for 30lbs in 10 months - I have PCOS and Hypothyroidism which makes losing weight next to impossible. I have been trying to conceive for 4 years and just found out my tubes are blocked. I HAVE to lose this weight and this is my desperate measure.

I understand that losing at a fast pace COULD hinder my future, but I also know with hard work and determination which I have - it could mean a new life for me. I realize that both during and AFTER the phetermine I will have to work hard - I'm not doing it to get an easy route.. I'm doing it to better my future.

Then you do what feels right for you!

Screw everyone else, seriously. If your doctor, nutritionist, and trainer are all there agreeing with what you are doing and you ar putting in the work as well, then you go!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options

A lot of people "jump" on people about taking weight loss pills because, generally speaking, this community is about taking ownership of your health shortcomings and making a LIFESTYLE change, which doesn't include a pill. You can't truly take credit for weight loss if a pill did it for you. If someone is like you and they took it upon themselves to allow the pill to be a catalyst to better decisions and a lifestyle change, then it could potentially be successful. But why not just take ownership now and make a change? One more note, many of those pills can have awful, unhealthy effects on the heart and other parts of the body. Read the small print. Is it really worth it?

This Community is about taking control of your life and making better choices - and about what makes WL work for you! No matter weather that is with assisatance of a doctor, surgery, a pill, or a trainer - its'a about what works for YOU.

No one said that just because you take a pill that you won't work hard to make a better life for yourself.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options

Then you do what feels right for you!

Screw everyone else, seriously. If your doctor, nutritionist, and trainer are all there agreeing with what you are doing and you ar putting in the work as well, then you go!

Thank You
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion. Have you tried clean eating? I know you say your nutritionist said you are doing "everything right" and I'm no professional - but I took a random look through your food journal (went back a couple months) and from what I see:

You don't eat many fruits or vegetables, if any.
    You eat way too much processed food.
    Your sodium (from the week I saw) is through the roof - I eat a lot of sodium too, but I drink a gallon of water a day to flush it out.
    On 3 days - looks like you ate a whole bag of hersheys kisses
    You eat out quite a bit, salads at fast food places are iffy - but burgers, fried chicken, shakes and fries are a NO if you are trying to lose weight.

I hope you don't take this as jumping on you - I've been there and done that too. Just maybe a llittle hard love, or a reality check so to say. I thought I was doing everything in my power for the last few years to lose weight too - I blamed my slow thyroid (I'm on meds, I don't think they work, I didn't magically drop weight) I blamed my birth control, I blamed my age, Thing is - I was overweight (still am, but working on it!) because I wasn't honest about what I really was doing to my body.

I hope you find the answers you are seeking, I just hope they don't come in the form of a pill.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options
    Just a suggestion. Have you tried clean eating? I know you say your nutritionist said you are doing "everything right" and I'm no professional - but I took a random look through your food journal (went back a couple months) and from what I see:

Your sodium (from the week I saw) is through the roof - I eat a lot of sodium too, but I drink a gallon of water a day to flush it out.
    You eat out quite a bit, salads at fast food places are iffy - but burgers, fried chicken, shakes and fries are a NO if you are trying to lose weight.

I hope you don't take this as jumping on you - I've been there and done that too. Just maybe a llittle hard love, or a reality check so to say. I thought I was doing everything in my power for the last few years to lose weight too - I blamed my slow thyroid (I'm on meds, I don't think they work, I didn't magically drop weight) I blamed my birth control, I blamed my age, Thing is - I was overweight (still am, but working on it!) because I wasn't honest about what I really was doing to my body.

I hope you find the answers you are seeking, I just hope they don't come in the form of a pill.

Really to be honest, I threw in the towel at the end of last year, You would have to go back that far. I am Low Carber because of my PCOS and IR. I started my journey in Feb of 2010 and gave it 150% through November, I finally gave up on myself. Just kind of said forget it. I never did get abck to where I was... and I've gained all my weight back...I was working my butt off, doing everything right and it got me no where - so I figured why not not work my butt off and go no where. I went from being VERY active here, to barely logging in (notice the gaps) and not giving a care.
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Bingo.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options

I must say I agree.... There is lots of processed "diet" food which really isn't that much better than the processed regular food.

In all honesty it seems like you really want to do this diet pill, so do it, and it seems like you have doctors backing you, but just know that for the most part people on this site are going to have opinions against the use of diet pills. Its nothing against you, its against the diet pill.

There are TONS of cases where it has caused heart palpitations (sp!?) and heart problems, it has caused peoples metabolisms to be messed up, and it has made it harder to stay with losing the weight afterwards, BECAUSE of the pills they took.

I realize you have a medical condition that makes weight loss hard. But it doesn't make it impossible.

But just remember you asked for opinions people are giving them, don't take them offensive, because they are opinions. Do what you want to do, just remember that there is good and bad to both sides. You are choosing to take the bad along with the good. Just makes ure that the bad is worth it.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I have tried it in the past, and did not have results anything like I have had this year, WITHOUT drugs, surgery, etc.

As for phentramine itself, it gave me an extremely dry mouth, sleeping problems and a feeling like I wasn't taking in enough air.
  • SyKena
    SyKena Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS. I joined this site in January of this year and lost about four pounds from January to May with clean eating as taught by a nutritionist (1600 calories per day) and fifty minutes of cardio and weight training five times per week with a trainer. In May, my physician recommended Adipex (generic Phentermine) and since I've started taking it I've lost fifteen pounds....a lot of people don't understand that with PCOS, strict diet and excercise does not always work for us........I don't take the pills everyday and I have noticed the longer I've been on them the less they're helping for example I used to have to force myself to eat, but now I'm hungry within three hours of taking it in the morning. I honestly feel like the pills have helped jump start my metabolism or something. And even when I go a few days without the pill, I still lose. My doctor and I did discuss the dangers of being on the pills so after four months, I will be taking a break......anyways good luck and please remember you have to do what's best for you....
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options

But just remember you asked for opinions people are giving them, don't take them offensive, because they are opinions. Do what you want to do, just remember that there is good and bad to both sides. You are choosing to take the bad along with the good. Just makes ure that the bad is worth it.

Actually I did NOT ask for anyone's opinions... I simply asked if there was anyone out there that used it and their experience.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options
    I too have PCOS. I joined this site in January of this year and lost about four pounds from January to May with clean eating as taught by a nutritionist (1600 calories per day) and fifty minutes of cardio and weight training five times per week with a trainer. In May, my physician recommended Adipex (generic Phentermine) and since I've started taking it I've lost fifteen pounds....a lot of people don't understand that with PCOS, strict diet and excercise does not always work for us........I don't take the pills everyday and I have noticed the longer I've been on them the less they're helping for example I used to have to force myself to eat, but now I'm hungry within three hours of taking it in the morning. I honestly feel like the pills have helped jump start my metabolism or something. And even when I go a few days without the pill, I still lose. My doctor and I did discuss the dangers of being on the pills so after four months, I will be taking a break......anyways good luck and please remember you have to do what's best for you....

Thank You - I definatly don't plan on staying on Phetermine for the long run. This is just to be used to jump start everything, because of my bad experience with trying to lose weight.

What all the haters don't realize, is I was that girl that ate SUPER clean, DID NOT cheat, worked out 4 times a week by myself, and 3 times a week with a trainer. I worked hard... and the weight did not come off... People are so ready to jump, but don't want to hear the real story, they are haters before they even know what they are hating.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options
    I have tried it in the past, and did not have results anything like I have had this year, WITHOUT drugs, surgery, etc.

As for phentramine itself, it gave me an extremely dry mouth, sleeping problems and a feeling like I wasn't taking in enough air.

Thank You
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor talked to your about Metformin? I took Phentermine last summer and it basically made me not eat at all. Lost ten pounds but I couldn't in good health not eat, so I started to force myself to eat and eventually I didn't feel the effects anymore. I had a friend who took it around the same time as me and she has lost quite a bit of weight on it. She doesn't pay attention to her eating really and as far as I know has not gained much of the weight back, granted she was on it for almost 9 months. I am in the process of being diagnosed with PCOS and my doctor has given me metformin, I feel it has helped me in my weight loss, more then Phentermine ever did. If it works for you more power to you!