Could it be?

Options
Is it really that simple? Eat under your calorie goal that mfp gives you for the day and you'll lose weight? That almost seems too easy after today of actually trying to eat ok, and stay under my goal for the day. Idk am i missing something? Also, i didnt add my exercise (walking) into the diary either, didn't know if you're supposed to eat those cals back or?

Replies

• Ashley2733
    Ashley2733 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you malibu927 i appreciate the feedback!
  • Ashley2733
    Ashley2733 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It really is that simple. So simple I hated myself when it worked.

I think i might be able to actually do this!!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is that simple. Keep your mind in it at all times and you will be successful.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yes, it really is that simple. Just remember that, like all calorie calculators, MFP gives you an estimate. Stick to it for a good while and then you will see if you need to make a slight adjustment.
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This is the only thing that has worked for me in the past, so I am trying again. However, the last two days my weight has been ticking back up, so I am either under estimating my calories or my weight is just fluctuating. I have never made it past 10lbs weight loss, so I am anxious to get past that goal. My overall goal is to lose 50lbs in one year.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    shannie018 wrote: »
    This is the only thing that has worked for me in the past, so I am trying again. However, the last two days my weight has been ticking back up, so I am either under estimating my calories or my weight is just fluctuating. I have never made it past 10lbs weight loss, so I am anxious to get past that goal. My overall goal is to lose 50lbs in one year.

Best of luck to you on your goals. It's probably just weight fluctuations but keep a close eye on it and be ready to adjust if the trend continues.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is it really that simple? Eat under your calorie goal that mfp gives you for the day and you'll lose weight? That almost seems too easy after today of actually trying to eat ok, and stay under my goal for the day. Idk am i missing something? Also, i didnt add my exercise (walking) into the diary either, didn't know if you're supposed to eat those cals back or?

Yes it's that simple, yes eat back exercise cals
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Yes, it is that simple. Keep your mind in it at all times and you will be successful.

Agreed. The math is simple, but I think the determination and motivation is what can deter our progress. So, the mind has to be in the game.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Yes, it really IS that simple.

And you are meant to eat back some or all of your exercise calories here on MFP. I usually eat back 50 to 75% of them, which leaves a little wiggle room if my exercise burn is over-stated or my food logging is under-stated. ;)

After about a month of consistent logging of both and seeing your results when you weigh yourself, you'll get a feel for how it's working for you, and if any adjustments up or down are needed or realistic.

Good on you for figuring this out right off the top! <3
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's simple but don't tell anyone because it's a huge secret and we don't want people to destroy the entire multi-billion dollar diet industry that was founded on failing to deliver weight loss for the long-term.

LOL. That's true and funny. :)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's simple but don't tell anyone because it's a huge secret and we don't want people to destroy the entire multi-billion dollar diet industry that was founded on failing to deliver weight loss for the long-term.

Right?! I get so angry when I think of all the time wasted and $ spent. Ugh. I get mad when I see ads for BS diets or other weight loss crap someone is trying to sell. It's so basic and myfitnesspal and a digital food scale is all you need! A free app and a $20 scale. Done.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP: Just remember to re-calculate your calorie requirements from time-to-time (every 5 lbs lost, for example) since a lower weight will require a corresponding lessening of calorie intake to maintain the deficit needed for weight loss to continue from there.

Also, the closer to get to your goal weight, the less wiggle room there is for any miscalculations.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    How freeing to learn I didn't have to "start" a diet and that I could eat what I normally eat but just count the calories and stay at my deficit.