Just started SL 5x5 - advice please

Options
So, I just started SL 5x5 on Saturday. I have been getting conflicting information in what I'm reading that is making me question whether I should be starting this now or waiting until I am more in the overweight category.

Background: I am female, 45 years old, 4'11.5" tall, started at 240 back in June, now down to 199.4 with calorie deficit, jogging 30 minutes a day, getting 10,000 steps, and light hand weights. I had my deficit set to two pounds per week and my macros usually come out around 45% carb, 30% fat, 25% protein. I just recently changed my deficit to 1 pound per week and started SL 5x5 on Saturday.

My question is since I'm still considered morbidly obese and won't even hit overweight until I'm in the 150s (keep in mind, that's according to the unreliable BMI figures), should I be waiting to start a lifting program? Although I'm morbidly obese, I have regained my endurance in the past five months and don't get all out of breath just going for a five-minute jog. Also, while I don't consider myself strong (especially compared to all of you - LOL), my son believes I have kept some of my strength since I was able to bench 85 pounds as a newbie to heavy lifting.

I really enjoyed my first workout Saturday and was pretty amazed that I was able to do the whole thing. I even added pushups and planks. Sunday was my rest day and thankfully so because my entire body was sore!

So, my question to all you experts is should I continue on with the lifting program, should I wait and lose more weight first? If I continue, should I change my macros so that I'm getting 30% protein, while keeping the deficit of 1 lb per week?

Also, something to keep in mind with advice. I know sometimes people who are obese rely on the scale and that's why heavy lifting is not recommended since they may not see the scale move as fast and may lose motiviation; however, that's not me. While I do weigh myself daily, I use a weight trend app just so that I can keep track of the weight. However, I'm more about measurements and the general way I feel. So, the scale not moving quickly would not affect my motivation.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Continue lifting now. There is no reason to put it off.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should start now. There is no reason not to if you are healthy enough to do so. It will help you retain muscle which will make you look better than if you don't. BTW adding extra stuff early on is fine, but you will find as you progress, remember you are adding weight every workout with Stronglifts, you will find that the extra work will hinder your recovery.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You can lift and eat at deficit. You will lose inches and weight, while building muscle. When you lose enough weight / get lean enough, you will be able to see your gains.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    You can lift and eat at deficit. You will lose inches and weight, while building muscle. When you lose enough weight / get lean enough, you will be able to see your gains.

Lifting at a deficit will not result in significant muscle gain especially in a woman.
  • wwkwag
    wwkwag Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! And @rileysowner I agree and that's why I'm doing the program exactly as it says to. While I was doing it, I felt like it wasn't enough but clearly by the way I felt the next day, it was plenty! LOL So, I'd rather start slow and build up the way it recommends.

Thanks to all of you!
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the program now. Be sure to start at the light weights that it starts you at. I wouldn't add the extras now. Don't get ahead. Once your weights start coming up, you will burn calories faster than ever.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Lifting at a deficit will not result in significant muscle gain especially in a woman.

OP, are you looking for "significant" muscle gain? As a newbie weight lifter it is definitely possible for you to gain some muscle while eating in a deficit. Newbie gains!
  • stlhrs
    stlhrs Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Lift, lift, and keep on lifting.

Strength training (lifting) is known to burn more fat than cardio alone. The "after burn" from strength training continues to burn calories for up to 24 hours after a workout. If you want cardio, read up on High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT); short burst of high effort work followed by a short rest.

Keep in mind that it is often difficult to both gain muscle and loose weight at the same time. Gaining muscle requires a calorie surplus; losing weight requires a calorie deficit. That said, there is a phenomenon known as "newbie gains" where one can do both when they first start out.

SL 5x5 is a great program for the beginner. So is Starting Strength (the moves are more simple in SL 5x5). Just a couple pointers, and please take no offense...at your weight your joint already have a lot of stress. Lifting heavy can add to that stress and cause injury. I would recommend keeping weight low and focusing on form. Proper form will prevent injury and allow you to add weight safely. Check out Mark Rippetoe (starting strength author) on YouTube. He helped me get my form right.

Another good program would be "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" (no 5lb bunny curls here). It will kick your butt.

Congrats and good luck!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    WHY would you wait? There's no reason. Lifting will only benefit you.
  • msk0307
    msk0307 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First of all, Congratulations. You have done GREAT work. I very much agree with the above post. I will go a little more scientific since he seemed to cover the basics, I will also disagree slightly on one comment made.
    1) Lifting is a great idea for anyone. When I say lifting though I do not mean finding out how much you can bench press. I mean utilizing a program, such as the one you selected, for a consistent routine. You CAN build muscle on a caloric deficit. I have been doing it the past 2 months and in no way can experience the "newbie gains" phenomenon. The reason you can gain muscle on a deficit is that your body is the greatest machine you will ever encounter. You will not gain muscle to your maximum potential, but you will gain. This happens because your body will sense the change in stress applied to it and distribute nutrients appropriately. Also the increase in muscle will increase your resting metabolic rate. Which means you will burn more calories while at rest.
    2) HIIT training is by far the best way to not only burn fat, but quickly improve your cardiovascular strength.
    3) never stop lifting. Resistance training will increase bone density and strengthen ligaments as well as muscles. This will help prevent injury as you get older and help prevent osteoporosis.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    No reason to wait, Stronglifts is a great program.
  • wwkwag
    Options
    Wow! What great info and encouragement. Thank you all so much!

@robdowns1300 - yes, I am starting light and following the program exactly as it was created to be done. I'm no expert so I will do as told in this area. LOL

@leajas1 - I guess you could say my ultimate goal is just to be fit. Obviously I want to get rid of the fat but not at the expense of losing muscle and ending up with massive amounts of excess skin. Oh, I know I'll have some skin, mostly in my arms, but I'll deal with it.

@stlhrs - GREAT info! Thanks so much for the advice. And no offense taken at all regarding the joints! I appreciate any constructive criticism given! I agree with you and will definitely listen to my body.

@msk0307 - more GREAT info - thanks so much! I am looking forward to seeing how I feel and where I am two months in.

Thank you all again. I really appreciate it! Can't wait to be posting progress pics a year from now!!
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to see your transformation too! I wish I had started weightlifting in conjunction with HIIT years ago! You really can't beat that combination, especially for the goals that you have. You can do this.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Just a heads-up...lifting won't negatively impact your long-term progress at all, and I can all but guarantee that you will be happier with your aesthetic results if you lift the whole time. However, it may cause a small stall in the first few weeks after you start lifting. This has NOTHING to do with lifting in particular...any new/significantly increased exercise program can cause short-term water retention that can mask weight loss in the first few weeks. You should just be prepared for the scale to stall right in the beginning. Don't panic, just keep lifting, and you'll see the scale moving again soon.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Lifting has no weight limit except meets ;)
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm 250 lbs and do SL. You can absolutely make strength gains and change your body while in a deficit. It happened for me. I've heard it's beginner gains or that the obese are special snowflakes. Who knows. I don't see much muscle since there's so much fat, but I look more curvy than blobby now and my butt has gotten crazy perky.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    yup, do it now. especially if you're already strong enough that the first workout was a pleasant surprise. why waste something like that by not doing it until you're some arbitrary weight on the scale? go for it.

only caveat i can think of is just the usual doctor signoff thing first, if you're in any of the risk categories. maybe that's what the assumption was, idk.

also bear in mind : that guy who runs that sl site is a real . . . well, he's not everyone's style. i wouldn't buy a late-night used car or a carpet from him, put it that way. if he sat down next to me on a bus i'd change seats. maybe buses, even. the protocol is fine though. it's just the dude and his delivery style.
  • SideshowTam
    SideshowTam Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Lift! My mum started when she weighed 120-130kg (so like 275lbs) and though she is still very overweight (100kg) she got one of those body mass x-rays done at a fitness institute and the doctor/nurse/person said she, under all the extra fat, was probably the strongest and most conditioned people who had come through. Because despite her weight she picked up heavy things! And bam, she's tough as nails :smiley:
  • wwkwag
    Options
    Thanks again, everyone!

@AliceDark , yes, I am prepared for the water retention. I am patient and know it will all work out. And by the way, you look Amazing!

@canadianlbs , yeah, I kind of felt he was a little odd but I've heard so many great things about the program so I'll look beyond him. LOL

@SideshowTam , congrats to you mom!! That's inspiring!

@jennybearlv , I keep hearing reading about beginner gains and how it's different in obese people. I guess we'll see what happens for me!

Thank you to everyone for all the great advice!!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    At 45, I would usually recommend Wendler's 5/3/1 or maybe Matthew's Thinner Leaner Stronger, for a woman.

But since you are carrying some extra calories, if you eat properly and work hard enough you should get great results with SL5x5 in the next 6 or 8 months.

Regardless, consider something closer to 40% carbs, 40% protein & 20% fat if you are going to be lifting.
    The protein will probably help with the cravings and definitely help with recovery, sparing muscle mass.

Maybe look into one of the other programs after you have cycled through SL5x5.