Protein Shakes?

Options
So I've seen alot of people taking shakes,or replacing meals with shakes.How would I know which one is best for me.My husband takes Whey,but hes trying to build muscle,hes tryed new recipes,by adding fruit, etc. Would this work for my weight loss if I start taking it??

Replies

• prettygirl2408
    Options
    Hi Doll!! Thanks for the add. I use Syntha-6 vanilla ice cream as a meal replacement, it fills me up for at least 3hrs and depending on the drink you mix it with (water, soy milk, regular milk) it can be around 300 calories. I use silk milk vanilla soy milk. I drink it every morning. I used it when I initially started losing weight the first time and it definitely helped me.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I've been using Shakeology as a morning meal replacement for about 16 months now. No complaints here.
  • kimrich10
    kimrich10 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I believe that Whey is a good protein.
  • amandaking0420
    Options
    I use whey protein I use one that is only 110 calories and no carbs no sugar and I mix it with water. I think that it would be good for weight loss, my nutritionist had me use them as meals 2x a day when Ihe wanted me drop weight.

I used Isolyze its from species nutrition.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    theres a difference between a meal replacement shake and a protein shake.....if you're looking for something to have for breakfast, for example, then look for something that says meal replacement, and hopefully one that is low in sugar!!! most of them have a good amount of protein too!! I like pro performance, and reclaim brands...
  • Learnin2LuvMe
    Learnin2LuvMe Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thnx so much,i will look into all of these!!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Whey is an excellent choice. It's not only for bodybuilding. I buy Vanilla because it tastes good by itself and also mixes well with other things. Buy bags of frozen fruit. It's easiest. Dump some strawberries in with it. Or blueberries. You get the idea. You can use water instead of milk if you are really watching calories/carbs. Really great stuff. Pro-tip: if you find yourself addicted to drinking alot of protein shakes, be sure to up your consumption of water.
  • sent4rmabove23
    Options
    I drink Carb Solutions High Protein Shake Mix; it only has 110 calories, 4 g of carbs and 20 g of protein. I was using the GNC Lean shakes last week but I didn't like that it only has 9 g of protein and in addition to that 30 g of carbs! I'm not on a low carb diet but I do like to try and get my carbs down -
  • MsNiss
    MsNiss Posts: 57
    Options
    In the mornings I'll blend a banana, almond milk, frozen blueberries and hemp protein. The protein really helps to keep me full longer, and I'm usually not hungry after for a couple of hours. It's a great healthy start!

I avoid the pre-packaged shakes though, they are loaded with preservatives and chemicals.
  • Noonoo757
    Noonoo757 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love protein shakes especially right after a workout! I use to take syntha 6 but alot of those have too much sugar in them so i have switched to myoplex i buy the packets that are individual and mix with water or milk and o bad after taste and low in calories and low in sugar as well i love them. You may have to try a few before you figure out what works for ya but at GNC if you dont like something you can take it back in a 30 day time period just be aware of the grams of sugar in the protein drinks because some of them taste so yummy but are full of sugar so they defeat the purpose ya know
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Meal replacements usually have more fibre and carbs, but also contain vitamins and minerals.
    Protein powders (like Pro Performance 100% whey) don't have those micronutrients.

You get your Macronutrients.
    You could always pair with a great multivitamin to bridge the gap.

Whey is supposed to keep you feeling fuller longer.

GNC does have an awesome return policy.
    Make sure you keep your receipt for non-GNC products. :)
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    And if you are looking for a super awesome whey protein, check out http://amzn.to/onsfBz
    NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate. I like Vanilla as I mentioned earlier.