Eating dinner before or after a workout

Options
Hey folks, hoping for some advice on when to eat dinner if I work out in the evening. I tend to eat the most at dinner, and I usually get out of work at 5 and feel ravenous so I eat right away. So wasn't sure if I should have a preworkout snack and eat my dinner after I work out or vice versa? I plan on trying to do cardio for 30 to 45 min then strength training. I don't want to work out on an empty stomach but I don't want to puke my dinner up either. Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I get home from work at 4:45ish and have a pre workout snack and then tea afterwards at 6.30/7ish
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a pre-workout meal at about 4pm that consists of chicken (lean protein) and sweet potatoes (complex carb). Then work out at about 5 or 530pm. Then eat a post workout meal at about 730 or 8pm. So, I kind of split my dinner into 2 meals and eat it on either side of the workout.

As for the workout, it doesn't matter that much but most people do cardio AFTER weights so they can put the most intensity into the strength training. I've done it both ways and the results don't really change much as long as you can keep up your intensity throughout the entire workout.
  • cpalumbo89
    cpalumbo89 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I should've mentioned, i plan on being at the gym around 5:30, if I wait too long I won't have the motivation to leave my nice warm apartment. So maybe a small snack? What do people normally eat as a pre workout?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym straight from work...I don't go home first. I usually have an afternoon snack around 4...usually an apple or something.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Except on Sundays, I lift after work, so around 4:30 or so. I almost always eat a snack (protein bar usually, as it's quick and easy) about an hour or so beforehand. I'll eat when I get home.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If I'm hungry before a run, I'll usually eat a banana or some OJ for a quick energy snack that doesn't upset my stomach. Usually I find that the hunger I was feeling disappears for the duration of my run (usually 60-90 minutes.)
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    In the immortal words of Mr. Ice Cube: Do Ya Thang.

Experiment and find what works best for you. Then go forth and conquer.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Personally can do strength after food but not cardio. I'd go a small snack and eat dinner later.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I'll have a snack late afternoon, about 1700, then when I finish work about 1830 or so I can train then eat about 2100.
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have dinner at 5 pm and go out for a 3 mile run around 7 pm.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter, so do what works best for you.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I have a snack around 3:30 and workout at 5 on my way home from work. If I go home first, there is a 50/50 chance I might not go at all. I get home around 6:30 and eat dinner around 7 depending on how much prep I have and how long the dog gets walked.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio (like Insanity, so burpees and major jumping around/high impact) so I simply can't eat for a few hours before I work out or I have acid reflux problems and just general unpleasantness. I probably could go for a walk or light jog after eating, or ride a bicycle if that was my thing, since I'd be upright. I could do strength training after eating.

But, I instead prefer to have a snack at 4PM and then dinner around 8 or 8:30, after exercise. I do find that exercise makes me super hungry so by having dinner after working out, I don't end up eating twice (or wanting to eat twice, anyway).

In the end, I think the best answer is to try a few things and see what works for you. A consistent schedule definitely helps me. But, as with advice on best time of day to exercise, the answer is highly individual -- do whatever will keep you exercising and at your calorie goal.