Weekend weight gain

Options
okay so this weekend (and many weekends) I overate.. I dont feel like I went WAY OVER but I def had more than I should have trying to lose weight. But my question is does any else gain like 5 lbs no lie 5 POUNDS over the weekend?? It will be gone by my Wednesday weigh in but why why 5lbs its not possible.. what could be causing this kind of water weight gain.. 5lbs seems way too high... I want it to be the same and not losing the same 5lbs weekly

Replies

• jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Increased sodium and carbs will make your body retain water more. You're just experiencing water retention. Nothing to worry about. It happens to everyone.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It's not at all unusual for over-eating to result in temporary water weight gain of five pounds or more. You have the weight of the food itself and probably more sodium and carbohydrates than you're used to eating (both of which can contribute to temporary weight gain). If you don't want to see it, then start thinking about ways to stop overeating on the weekend.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Not really all that possible to gain 5 real pounds over a weekend. Most of it will be water weight from extra sodium, or water weight from your body trying hard to digest extra food still in your system, or it'll be extra waste in the body, obviously from the excess food. Get back on track during the week, get your water intake up, watch the sodium, and you'll likely notice most of that drop off by the end of the following week, sometimes in as little as a day or two if it's mostly water weight.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Sodium. I know the fluid retention comes if I eat out over the weekend instead of portioning and eating healthy at home bbecause restaurants and fast food use a lot more than the I would at home. Also, could be hormones. I gains 2 and a half pounds of fluid this week due to ovulation. It's starting to come back off. Not to mention the fluid retention from working out. If it drops back off in a few days, I wouldn't be so concerned. Just keep plugging along. I would probably only give myself one day of not logging instead of two. That might help.
  • ChasesMumma927
    ChasesMumma927 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I def am going to try to come up with a better eating plan for the weekends. And its nice to know that I am not alone with the large number after a weekend of carbs and salt phew...
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Why not log it? Then you'll now exactly how much you gain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Water and more inherent waste in your system from eating more.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Sure, yes. :)
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    We're in the same boat - I can lose weight during the week, only to backslide over the weekend. I STILL don't have the full answer apart from treating weekends the same as weekdays with respect to diet and activity
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    This is probably sneaky, but my weigh in day is Saturday. That's the only day I get on the scale. I know I'll need more flexability Saturday and Sunday, so I eat less during the week (1300 during the week, 1700 weekends). It all balances out and still lose weight.

After I get off that scale, I go about my day. I have fun. I have the whole work week to be good...
  • littlebritttfit
    littlebritttfit Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i've noticed the same thing when i get a little crazy on the weekends... what i started doing is lowering my calories a little more during the week, so i can up them some on the weekends and still lose.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I've gained 18lbs in a weekend before. By the following thursday I was back to normal weight and Friday set a new low weigh in.

It is water retention and maybe some food in your system so don't worry about it. Unless of course you actually managed to eat 18k calories over your maintenance...........