Sugar cravings

Options
I keep craving sugar every day. This has been going on for about a month. My friend told me I might actually need protein. Is this true?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you're craving sugar, why not have some sugar? Not sure what protein has to do with it. Protein can be more satiating for some though overall so if you aren't getting enough, it could leave you hungry I suppose.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Are you craving sugar or specific sweet foods? If you eat something sweet, is the craving satisfied? Can you do it without going over calories (by making room or saving it for the end of the day)? What time do you want to eat sweet things (a time when you used to?) or what else is going on? These are the kinds of questions I'd ask myself.

IMO, having protein and a generally balanced diet can help you not feel hungry, which some may experience as cravings. Having enough sleep also can help, as sometimes the desire is related to a desire to wake yourself up. If it's between meals at times you used to eat things a lot of times just ignoring it and getting over the habit is the way to go (and maybe saving room for something at a planned time later would make this easier).

If it's just that you want a sweet taste, maybe try snacking on fruit. Berries are pretty low cal.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sugar free gum sometimes fills the void.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I always find fruit helps me with sugar/candy cravings :smile: Especially particularly sugary fruits like pineapple!
    Dates are pretty good too- stuff one with nut butter for a natural Snickers-esque snack. They're pretty high calorie though so try not to go overboard! :wink:
  • applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I take it you're dieting, in that case try eating more complex carbs, that might satiate you and give some satisfaction food wise. Pretty sure you need an energy boost. Or it could just be sugar withdrawal if you have suddenly cut the sugary foods out of your diet. Anyway, you will have to find a way on how to deal with it. Oatmeal flapjacks works perfectly for me. :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between craving and just wanting sugar.
  • beastmode2718
    beastmode2718 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It's usually when I wake up that I crave up. Sometimes I feel kinda sick if I don't eat something sugary
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Were you used to eating or drinking something sugary then? Lots of people put sugar in tea or coffee (not me, I hate them sweetened) or in oatmeal or eat breakfast food that is pretty sweet. If so, it's probably force of habit.

IMO, if you like sweet things and are cutting them out, think about whether you might want to include a bit of sugar still (for example, if you drank coffee with sugar, have a cup with a little sugar).

What are you currently eating/drinking in the morning?
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It's usually when I wake up that I crave up. Sometimes I feel kinda sick if I don't eat something sugary

Why don't you try eating a slow carb (oatmeal, good quality bread, rice/other grains) with some fruit and protein?
    The fruit will give you the sugar hit, the slow carb will give you sustained energy over the day, and the protein will set you up for the rest of the day. Here are some things you could try:

-Oatmeal with chopped banana/pear or berries with a tbsp peanut butter
    -Two slices of toast with beans, plus a little bowl of frozen berries for dessert
    -Smoothie made with a banana, oats, almond milk, vanilla essence, and a tbsp nut butter or pea protein
    -Two slices toast with peanut butter and a banana/apple slices or a little bit of jam (note- jam will have refined sugar in it so if you're worried about your sugar intake you should only have a tiny bit. Also shop around for lower sugar jams)

Sorry most of my suggestions use nut butter! I just love it and think it's perfect for breakfast ;D
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I found that drinking artificially sweetened drinks like Diet Coke made me crave more food, especially sweet things. Not true for everyone but if you consume artificial sweeteners, you might try cutting them out and see what happens.
  • suzanzale
    suzanzale Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eating refined sugar or honey, etc., makes one crave sugar. Eat fat and protein when you crave sugar.
    Canned, baked, grilled or poached salmon with nothing added to it except mayo (the real mayo) and a little celery diced very small, a ;little onion if you like onion, and a little dill or sour pickle will cut your cravings pronto. Remember also that fruit is loaded with fructose (fruit sugar). If you must eat fruit stick to berries and cantaloupe which are very low glycemic. Also take note that eating two slices of 100% whole wheat bread raises one's blood sugar more than an average sized candy bar.