Should I start eating meat again? Will it make me more healthy?

Options
I am a pescetarian. I eat seafood as much as possible. I also have always taken multi vitamins and eaten as much greens etc that I can. I also use some homeopathic teas and such.

I found out I was anemic at the beginning of the year, so I take iron as well.

I try to be healthy but I keep getting sick.

My husband keeps telling me to eat meat. He says if I eat red meat, or meat in general I won't get sick so much as he never gets sick.

Is he correct?

I've been on the pescetarian diet for 18 years. Part of me thinks he just wants to win our debate. However I am tired of being ill with sinus infections and bronchits. Part of this I can blame my town on. I live in an old railroad town with lots of factories which doesn't help breathing conditions here. But still.. I get sick more than others who live here.

Thanks.

Replies

• JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Also, please no one try to sale me anything lol.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What does your husband think you will get from red meat that you aren't currently getting?

Not meeting your nutritional needs can make you more prone to illness. But not having red meat in your diet doesn't mean you aren't meeting your needs. What specific nutrients is he concerned about?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. Iron can help increase red blood cells (carry more oxygen, feel better at high altitude, run harder, not pass out). Iron does not help increase white blood cells, which fight infection.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I am a pescetarian. I eat seafood as much as possible. I also have always taken multi vitamins and eaten as much greens etc that I can. I also use some homeopathic teas and such.

My husband keeps telling me to eat meat. He says if I eat red meat, or meat in general I won't get sick so much as he never gets sick.

Is he correct?

I've been on the pescetarian diet for 18 years. Part of me thinks he just wants to win our debate. However I am tired of being ill with sinus infections and bronchits. Part of this I can blame my town on. I live in an old railroad town with lots of factories which doesn't help breathing conditions here. But still.. I get sick more than others who live here.

Thanks.

You are different people. You should probably be talking to your doctor about whether a change in diet could improve your health. Have you done allergy testing at all?
    If you have mainly respiratory problems I would think changing your environment would help more than changing diet unless you are allergic to a food you currently eat.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6239577
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor test you for any other deficiencies other than iron?
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The only thing that could cause increased illness that you've noted is anemia. If you anemia is treated, then meat or no meat does not matter. As long as you don't have any other nutritional deficiencies and have the anemia corrected, then this is not the problem.
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Is he correct?

Thanks.

You are different people. You should probably be talking to your doctor about whether a change in diet could improve your health. Have you done allergy testing at all?
    If you have mainly respiratory problems I would think changing your environment would help more than changing diet unless you are allergic to a food you currently eat.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6239577

Yea I've thought about doing that as well. I went to an ENT and he has suggested surgery. But he didn't even look into my ears or do an allergy test to rule that out. So I'm thinking of having a second opinion before going under the needle. Thanks.

• JollyHodgers87
    Options

Nope.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

Are you in a mixed-gender marriage? I ask because using your husband's logic, one could argue you should start taking testosterone and get sex-change surgery. Because he's male and "never gets sick." So if you were male, you would never get sick.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Your husband is wrong!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Nope.

Have you discussed that you always get ill?
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    No meat does not have any special exclusive vitamins necessary for survival. I grew up often pushing meat to the side of my plate because I didn't like it. I didn't like fish so I rarely ate it and I've never had any iron issues. I do eat lentils alot so maybe that's why? I would say take a step back and look at your diet maybe you can make changes to improve your iron and overall health. And of course see your doctor for a full blood work up if you can. Vitamin D could be an issue as it is for alot of people (even meat eaters) as we don't go outside alot unless we work outside. You can also ask about allergy medications...I have to take one daily because I'm allergic to grass and trees...can't really avoid that...but the daily meds help me not get sinus infections as well as using a netipot every 2-4 weeks.
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options

Nope.

Have you discussed that you always get ill?

YEa our doctors suck here lol. You pretty much have to research yoru own conditions and treatment and such before you even go in and see them lol.

• VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I ended up becoming anaemic before going vegan, and it actually improved afterwards (although I am taking supplements). Just goes to show that even meat filled diets can result in anaemia in some people.

Firstly, make sure you take a vitamin C tablet when you take your iron tablet, as it helps the iron be absorbed. Also don't drink tea or coffee for around an hour each way of taking the supplements, as they can block iron absorption.

Shellfish can be a really good source of iron in a pescatarian diet!
    You don't need to go back to meat for iron issues, there are plenty of other alternatives :)
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options
    I ended up becoming anaemic before going vegan, and it actually improved afterwards (although I am taking supplements). Just goes to show that even meat filled diets can result in anaemia in some people.

Firstly, make sure you take a vitamin C tablet when you take your iron tablet, as it helps the iron be absorbed. Also don't drink tea or coffee for around an hour each way of taking the supplements, as they can block iron absorption.

You don't need to go back to meat for iron issues, there are plenty of other alternatives :)

Thank you. This is helpful. I will try vitamin c with it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Thank you. This is helpful. I will try vitamin c with it.

Do that for a while and then get retested. Anemia does not always respond to iron supplementation and if yours doesn't, you want to know about it so you can address it.
  • StephieGrace2210
    Options
    I've been vegan 4 years and not had a single cold in that time plus had loads of other health benefits from it!! Occasionally take a B12 supp (aka when I remember to take it). Plus a balanced diet and loads of green veg