Suggestion for MFP - weight graph shouldn't go to zero

Options
ConnieT1030
ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
edited November 2016 in Getting Started
Not sure where to put a suggestion, but was looking at the chart of weight loss ( even though I realize I havent lost much since I started mfp (2), although lost a chunk before I started (22)).
Go to myfitnesspal~reports~weight if you're not familiar with that yet.
I realized it looked ridiculous because the baseline is zero pounds. There doesnt seem to be a setting to change it to a more suitable range (at least in the unpaid desktop version?). Im thinking, since presumably MFP is for adults and not infants, who even then weigh more than 0, why in the world set a baseline that low?
Something more like at least 75 or 80 pounds is more appropriate.
I dont know if the top of the chart is individually adjusted for a person, or if they use 250 for everyone, but that is easily too low for many men, especially those trying to lose weight, if it is a standard.
Anyway it just looks dumb, as if they think someone is really trying to reach 0 pounds, and diminishes the effect of the progress on the graph, and that's what everyone wants to see- progress. A two-pound loss on a spread of say, fifty, looks huge, but on a spread of 250 looks almost imperceptible. Way to diminish my progress MFP :'(

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    The issue with the weight report initially displaying zero values on the y axis on the web/desktop version is a known issue. Although many users have posted a suggestion to correct this for many years, MFP has chosen not to spend the resources to correct it.

On the Web version, the REPORTS > Charts and Reports > Weight report can show up to one year of data. A workaround to ensure all weight reports do not include a zero starting weight is to backdate your starting date/weight temporarily by one year.

Navigate to My Home > Check-In > Edit Previous Entries. Scroll to the bottom of the page and backdate your starting date/weight by exactly one year using the Add New Entry fields.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Who sets the minimum though? Are they endorsing an unhealthy minimum and will people feel the need to reach it despite the harm?
  • ConnieT1030
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I noticed it actually doesnt do this on the (android) app version, I guess it's not the same option thats available in the web version. Interesting workaround, thanks for that @CyberTone . Obviously Im a newb and didnt know it was a known issue :o

People certainly will be harmed if they try to reach a zero minimum! ;) But my concern wasnt so much trying to reach the smallest thing on the chart, but that your progress is minimized because the graph is showing far too big a spread at once.

ETA: zounds!! it works beautifully! This workaround ought to be in the sticky info :smiley:
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think having 0 as a minimum is a good thing, everyone knows it's not ever going to happen so don't try to reach it. If you put it at 50 , 100 or any number that is low how many people would use it as a target with out taking into account height sex ect? The best option would be to personalise it ie your weight now as the highest and maybe the minimum BMI weight for healthy for you as the minimum, or even set your own goal as minimum. Both of these would be a smaller range than used ATM and would show better progress,
  • ConnieT1030
    Options
    The best option would be to personalise it ie your weight now as the highest and maybe the minimum BMI weight for healthy for you as the minimum, or even set your own goal as minimum. Both of these would be a smaller range than used ATM and would show better progress,

There doesn't seem to be an option to select a range, that's the issue.
    However when you put your weight in for 1 year ago (I just used my maximum weight, even though I dont know when precisely that was) it adjusts properly. It seems to need a years worth of data to calculate a range (it only requires two entries 1 year apart) because it can give you a graph over a year.
    You would think that they would just set it so if you select any range beyond what you have entries for, it just said "not enough data" and use the data you do enter as (close to) min and max.

• kalkaeaB
    kalkaeaB Posts: 1 Member
    Options

On the Web version, the REPORTS > Charts and Reports > Weight report can show up to one year of data. A workaround to ensure all weight reports do not include a zero starting weight is to backdate your starting date/weight temporarily by one year.

Thank you for this work-around! It was driving me BONKERS, and looking like I had made almost zero progress was super demotivating.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Great suggestion, @ConnieT1030 . Suggestions can be made over at this forum, which is monitored more closely by MFP staff to look for them:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/feature-suggestions-and-ideas