Snacks, What percentage of diet?

Options
What percentage of a diet should be allowed for snacks?

What are your views?

Replies

• llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Yea... I know calories in, calories out, but I am trying to achieve a healthy balance. Zero percentage is not for me, but then 50% of my calories for the day is too much.

I was just wondering what most folks eat as their snack aamountn an average each day.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I base my snacking on if I'm hungry. I try to stay at 200 calories or less for a snack. If I'm hungry I will go grab my already prepped snacks. Some days I will have 2 snacks a day some none yet others seems like all I do is snack but keep it within my calories
  • llbrixon
    Options
    Today I had 25% of my calories were snacks. I think maybe 20% would be good to try to achieve. What do you do?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have 115 calories of snack in every day in the form of 40 g of prunes and a fiber gummy supplement. When my breakfast, lunch, and dinner leave some calories remaining on my daily plan, I'll choose something in the house to complete my calories and I'll call it a snack. Anything that falls between breakfast and dinner is logged as lunch.
  • llbrixon
    Options
    My math is way off...I just recalculated. Today I ate 34% of my calories were snacks. Yesterday was 43%.

My maintenance calories are 1600, but some days I do not eat that much. So, I take the snack calories I ate and use the total calories I ate for the day to figure out the percentage.

Your views or suggestions?

I am wondering what the rest of my percentages are for last week on an average. I have some figuring to do...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't think the percentage matters so much unless by snacks you mean foods with very low nutrition.
    I generally have 100-300 calories for snacks. Snacks for me might be things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I do 1/4 of my 1600 calories a day in snacks. Some ideas: apple & cottage cheese, yogurt & almonds, pear & string cheese, blueberries & oatmeal, popcorn & dried cranberries, red peppers & hummus. Love snacks!
  • llbrixon
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Snacks for me would be basically high sugar content type foods with no nnutritional value.
    I would also count in my salty snacks too.

Last week's average was 37% of snack foods were eaten from the calories I ate for each day.

Maybe if I can strive for a percentage less than the week before in snack foods, I might be able to cut down my snack eating.

So, this week I will try to eat no more than 36% of my snack foods.

• VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I calculated mine for today as 35% calories from snacks :smile:
    As long as you feel good with your amount of snacking, it should be fine! Make your diet work for you :smile:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I think a good general rule for most people would be to keep a bank of discretionary calories, somewhere between 10 and 20% of total calorie intake to be spent on anything, with the idea that the remaining 80-90% of your diet comes from nutritionally dense foods and that you're actually meeting those nutrient needs through that portion of your diet.

Agree. Especially someone like the OP who is eating 1200-1500 calories a day. 35% from nutritually less dense foods makes it pretty likely she is missing some nutrition.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    My snacking is typically about 1/3 but I also usually only eat 2 meals a day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It depends. Some people are more sensitive to nutritional deficiencies and need to optimize their diet. Others can eat a more "whatever" diet. When losing weight, you'll be eating less, but still have the same nutritional needs. Some people will miss "junk", others are indifferent. Sometimes it's even hard to determine what counts as "junk".

If you really want percentages, I'd say up to 20% junk in maintenance, up to 10% when dieting.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Just to clarify, "snacking" is fine if it just means spreading x% of your calories around during the day at times other than regular meals. But make sure 80-90% of the total daily calories are coming from nutritionally dense foods. The lower the daily calories, the closer to 90% of calories from nutritionally dense foods one should be.

The 80-90% (rounded) is coming from the USDA:

For most people, no more than about 5 to 15 percent of calories from solid fats and added sugars can be reasonably accommodated in the USDA Food Patterns, which are designed to
    meet nutrient needs within calorie limits.

https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/dietary_guidelines_for_americans/PolicyDoc.pdf
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Somewhere between 0% and 100%.

I really don't believe it matters as long as you stay within your calories; some people like three squares as they used to say back in the old days, others like to snack all day.

Absolutely!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    For me ...

Lunch = approx. 300 cal
    Dinner = approx. 400 cal
    Snacks = approx. 800 cal

Give or take. Whatever works. :)

Of course, that raises a question. What are snacks??? :mrgreen:
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    For me ...

Lunch = approx. 300 cal
    Dinner = approx. 400 cal
    Snacks = approx. 800 cal

Give or take. Whatever works. :)

Of course, that raises a question. What are snacks??? :mrgreen:

I'm pretty much the same. Sometimes on the weekend I am at the gym at lunch so I snack a bit more.. :)
  • llbrixon
    Options
    Snacks for me would be candy, donuts, cakes, salty dry snacks, icecream, popcycles, cheetos, popcorn, granola, alcohol drinks high in calories.....any type foods that would be dense in sugar and calories.

If I had to name some good snacks they would be celery, and carrots. Nuts and seeds in moderation. Diet sodas (need to start limiting sodas to 1 or 2 a day).

Your views or more suggestions for healthy snacks.