How to answer questions about why I'm not eating certain things?

Options
Okay so my one friend and I usually get dinner once a week, during the week. She isn't available on weekends because of work, and that's when I treat myself. So when we eat together I have to watch what I order because it's a week night. So usually she'll ask why I'm not getting a drink like she is, or a meal that has more carbs/fat etc, but I feel strange saying I can't have alcohol/sugary drinks or high calorie meals during the week. I just feel awkward explaining it, what should I say?

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Say you had a big lunch so you're not that hungry, and you've decided to only drink on the weekends.

Or just tell the truth.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Smile
    "I want to have this tonight."
    "I'm on an iced tea kick lately. I find it really refreshing."
    "I love the grilled chicken and vegetables here!"
    "I'm not very hungry tonight so I'm eating light."

You could have a higher calorie day during the week instead of the weekend.

Or just tell her you are watching your calorie intake.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    How about, "I just don't feel like it?"

This. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone.

Yep ... this.

• emmalvale
    emmalvale Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just be honest and say you are trying to eat more healthy!
  • Hammerschild74
    Hammerschild74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Seems like being in each other's company is the point....
    When it comes to questions about your food choices a firm "mind your business " is always an acceptable response.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Good answers above, saying you don't feel like it or are trying to eat more healthy. I'm going to remember these two.

I say "I have a medical issue" and so far that stops people. (This is true -- I'm overweight, have high cholesterol, etc.)

The less you explain, the better -- answer and move on. I only talk about my weight loss with one friend who has become a gym buddy.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I found that telling someone, be they your friend or associate you are trying to be healthier, opens it up for them to put in their 2cents. It tends to spiral, where they then try to lead you down the path towards some diet fad he/she read in some monthly subscription magazine or water cooler chatter.

It was easier for me to say, "I've committed myself to a fitness challenge and I intend to come out on top. So, certain foods/beverages will derail me [soften the blow with galfren/girlie/etc]" Add a "Go me!" cheer too.

If she insists on knowing more, invite her here to the MFP forum.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Personally id go with the fact that its just dinner, not a special occasion so im trying to eat similar to at home.

If they tell you that it is a special occasion, seeing a friend then you can always reply that it's seeing her that makes it special, not the food.

I have a friend that uses every social occasion as an excuse to overindulgence. I stuck to my guns, never criticised her choices, and she soon got used to me ordering just a cup of tea whilst she got the double mochalatte -whip-a-chino with extra cream and sprinkles and a chocolate muffin.
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Why don't you have your usual carb day with her and one on the weekend.
  • Thatonechickoverthere
    Options
    Colt1835 wrote: »
    I would never consider someone a friend if I felt uncomfortable telling them I'm trying to lose weight. Are you worried about being judged by this person or something?

No, I just feel awkward talking about it.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine what could make you feel awkward about letting a friend know you're trying to make healthier choices. Any chance your friend is obese?
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Colt1835 wrote: »
    I would never consider someone a friend if I felt uncomfortable telling them I'm trying to lose weight. Are you worried about being judged by this person or something?

I couldn't agree more!!!!

• Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    What do you want to say? It seems the discomfort is more on you, not the friend. She's just making conversation. If you can't be candid with her, what does that say about your friendship. If she's close enough to ask, she ought to be a good enough, non-judgmental friend that you can tell her the truth. If she's not a good enough friend that the question is rude, as it would be coming from an acquaintance, just respond with an icy stare or ask why she wants to know.
  • Thatonechickoverthere
    Options
    PriceK01 wrote: »
    I can't imagine what could make you feel awkward about letting a friend know you're trying to make healthier choices. Any chance your friend is obese?
    We are both bigger. She lost some weight but stopped so yeah it's weird if I tell her I'm still going.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have distressed so many waiters for not finishing my meal. If the food was great I say, "My compliments to the chef. I am afraid I have a small appetite."