Fit shaming

Options
2»

Replies

• amandapleighse92
    amandapleighse92 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've expirienced the skinny bashing! People will be mean no matter what! They will always find a reason
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    worst i've experienced has been people who keep finding it necessary to mention that i bike to work. it's more just a trivial irritation to me. i'm not going to condemn or absolve them for whatever they do their own selves. i'm just not interested enough to make their defensiveness necessary :p

my favourite so far is the 'oh, so you do own a car!' there's so much wrong with what i know they've been thinking idek where to start.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    lauracups wrote: »
    What is "fit shaming?"

It's when a person is subjected to ridicule because they are exercising, making healthy food choices and losing weight or recomping.

And this is a thing?

Not among those I associate with.

But then ... I do work in a health field and most of my coworkers are active. And I am a member of a cycling club. And most of my family is active.

At times, it almost gets a bit competitive.

As an example ... my department set up a step challenge for a month from mid-October to mid-November. They had to delay the start of the challenge by a few days because so many people signed up, they didn't have pedometers for us all. Last time I looked, there were 136 teams ranging in size from 3-8 people each. Many have the full 8. In fact, on my floor, I tried to get into some teams, but they were all full. Fortunately, one was created at the last minute and I got into it, but about 15 minutes later it was full too. And most of those 136 teams have been quite competitive ... we're all pretty close!

That's the atmosphere I live and work in, so fit shaming is just not something I've come across at all.

This is my experience too. I can't even imagine it.

But if I somehow ran into it I'd shrug it off or probably just laugh. It's hard to be shamed for something you think is a better state, isn't it? I am having a hard time figuring out how I could feel shamed for being fit or in shape or exercising or eating healthfully (mostly here people either do it or say "oh, I should do that").
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    What is "fit shaming?"

It's when a person is subjected to ridicule because they are exercising, making healthy food choices and losing weight or recomping.

And this is a thing?

But then ... I do work in a health field and most of my coworkers are active. And I am a member of a cycling club. And most of my family is active.

As an example ... my department set up a step challenge for a month from mid-October to mid-November. They had to delay the start of the challenge by a few days because so many people signed up, they didn't have pedometers for us all. Last time I looked, there were 136 teams ranging in size from 3-8 people each. Many have the full 8. In fact, on my floor, I tried to get into some teams, but they were all full. Fortunately, one was created at the last minute and I got into it, but about 15 minutes later it was full too. And most of those 136 teams have been quite competitive ... we're all pretty close!

That's the atmosphere I live and work in, so fit shaming is just not something I've come across at all.

Unfortunately it's a huge thing have you heard of the fit shamed mom? It seems to be that there is a movement within the fat acceptance movement that does not want to see anyone trying to lose weight or they will deem someone who is fit as someone who is trying to fat shame simply by the good examples they are living. I think it's awesome that you are surrounded in an environment contrary to that!:)

I really really dislike this "fit mom" term. I think this it's shameful to mothers everywhere. Mom's are moms. When did it become ok for this..."Fat Dad" would not be ok, "Super Thin Mom", "Chubby Mom"...no ok....I mean geez...it's just sooo bizarre to me that it's become acceptable to put a label on a parent as if it says anything about them as a person.

Otherwise, totally agree that no one...fit, fat, etc should be shamed.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What is "fit shaming?"

And this is a thing?

This is my experience too. I can't even imagine it.

But if I somehow ran into it I'd shrug it off or probably just laugh. It's hard to be shamed for something you think is a better state, isn't it? I am having a hard time figuring out how I could feel shamed for being fit or in shape or exercising or eating healthfully (mostly here people either do it or say "oh, I should do that").

Yeah, exactly! :grin:

(BTW - I just checked and there are about 900 participants in the step challenge my place of employment is putting on. And I know several people in my immediate area who are not in the step challenge but who are very active too ... just generally, without the motivation of a step challenge.)
  • MegzC321
    MegzC321 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have had a few friends and family members fit shame.. but I have noticed it's because they rather make excuses and judge other people for having the motivation to lose weight.

I had a friend tell another since I lost your 20 pounds my eyes look even better and now I look like an alien.

These people just make me giggle.
    At least I'll be popular at comicon! Lol jk
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Haters will always hate. Ignore them, COMPLETELY. just cut them out of your life, we get only once chance on this beautiful planet. there are no spare minutes to waste on anyone who does not contribute to your life
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What is "fit shaming?"

And this is a thing?

Yeah, I didn't know this was a thing either...

I mean, I get occasional comments from the peanut gallery at work about riding during my lunch break rather than joining everyone at Applebees or whatever, but they're mostly just joking around...and besides, why would I care...with a family at home to tend to, I don't exactly have a lot of free time...and I'm not really a big fan of Applebees...add to that, most of them can barely get from the car to the building without getting winded and I'd wager that most will be sick or dead long before I will.

IDK...I've been an athlete on some level for a big chunk of my life and I can't really recall anyone every giving me actual grief about it. Most of my friends are athletes or otherwise fitness (mostly cycling) geeks though, so maybe that has something to do with it.