binging on sweets again :(

Options
I have worked very hard to lose this weight. I was 90 kgs when I started this journey and now I am 77 kgs maybe 78 kgs if you see the way I have been gorging on sweets. I know what you will say don't bring sweets in the house but it's my dad who got these delicious indian sweets and I can barely keep my hands off. If I could bring my sugar addiction under control I can easily touch 70 kgs(55 kgs would be my ideal weight though) I am losing my motivation and will power also I'm not being honest with myself and logging it in my diary like I did right now! :(

Replies

• rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have sweets (mostly chocolate) pretty much daily, and have had no issue dropping 72lbs. Keep it under your calorie limit and you'll be fine. I think trying to completely cut certain things out makes this much tougher. Everything in moderation...it works. Eat the sweets, just not all of them :)
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing such a huge amount of weight. I don't know the meaning of moderation lol. I am assuming a whole lot of people here who have lost as much as you or more than you could eat huge amount of food no? So I want to know how do you bring it under controI? I eat certain foodstuffs like I'm never going to see it again lol
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    You just have to say no. For me, once I start, it's hard to stop. So I try to think of it in terms of I'm not going to have it today, I might tomorrow, but worry about that then. It's not a now or never, right? Sounds like you can have these on a regular basis. So, just say no for today. And see how it feels to have that power for the next few hours. And tomorrow, no matter what happened today, say no for one day.
  • maeggggan
    maeggggan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream EVERY DAY. it is the first thing I put in my tracker :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So I want to know how do you bring it under controI? I eat certain foodstuffs like I'm never going to see it again lol

That way of looking at it may be part of the problem. If you think it's off-limits and you should never eat it, then when you do it's easy to think "oh, I've already screwed up and won't touch it again starting tomorrow, but today is ruined already so I'll eat and eat and eat, since I'm saying goodbye and all." It could even be subconscious. A lot of people find it easier to be able to think "I will eat a little so long as I don't go over my calorie limit and then if I want I can have more tomorrow." Or think "no, I planned to have a little after dinner, so can wait and not have any now."

If you have situations where you cannot control the environment (for example, I have sweets around me all the time at work), then it's best to find a way of dealing that works for you.

Also, DEFINITELY track. It's much easier to think it doesn't matter how much you eat or you'll start again tomorrow if you decide not to track it, and most will end up eating less if they write in down (or track in MFP).
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    rickc74 wrote: »
    I have sweets (mostly chocolate) pretty much daily, and have had no issue dropping 72lbs. Keep it under your calorie limit and you'll be fine. I think trying to completely cut certain things out makes this much tougher. Everything in moderation...it works. Eat the sweets, just not all of them :)

I'm not a moderator. I'm an abstainer. If I find that I can't moderate a food, I'll just abstain from eating it. I don't miss the food at all. I just end up replacing it with something else. I wish I were a moderator, but I'm just not. Maybe OP is not a moderator. Who knows?! :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I do have "tips" for dealing with sugar cravings, but in my mind, more important is your comment that you are losing motivation and willpower. A big part of the reason I believe that I will not regain my weight to any degree is that I've dropped the "do it right or don't do it at all" attitude I had. Just because you overdid it with sweets or regained some weight shouldn't mean you feel defeat. In fact, I view my overeating days as helpful in the long run. Being overly strict in my diets was a problem for me. Whether it's hormones or metabolism changes, the harder I pushed, the harder I made it for myself. And being angry with myself for my lack of willpower was an unhelpful approach.

As to dealing with sugar cravings, I still get them on occasion. I had one the other day that was shockingly strong but very short. Once I dismissed the idea of eating more sweets, the thought stayed gone. I spent a long time reaching for sugary treats in all kinds of situations (bad and good). Those neural pathways grew strong. But I've spent the last year and a bit practicing proper nutrition with only moderate treats and it's gotten much easier. So tip#1, just keep swimming, it'll get easier. Tip #2 is keep your deficit small. The less fat you have, the smaller your deficit needs to be. I strongly suspect that some of my desire to inhale sweets was because I wasn't eating enough. Tip #3 is get enough protein. It really helped me. I assume because my blood sugar levels stayed steadier.
  • rickc74
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    rickc74 wrote: »

I'm not a moderator. I'm an abstainer. If I find that I can't moderate a food, I'll just abstain from eating it. I don't miss the food at all. I just end up replacing it with something else. I wish I were a moderator, but I'm just not. Maybe OP is not a moderator. Who knows?! :)

Good for you, congrats for being able to cut stuff out totally. Different kind of will power, I guess. I can manage to eat less of something, but can't deal with the idea of never eating it. I'm glad you found something that works for you; it's not easy. :)
  • rickc74
    Options
    Congrats on losing such a huge amount of weight. I don't know the meaning of moderation lol. I am assuming a whole lot of people here who have lost as much as you or more than you could eat huge amount of food no? So I want to know how do you bring it under controI? I eat certain foodstuffs like I'm never going to see it again lol

Thanks! I certainly could, and did, eat lots of food. I knew I needed to change, and did, with determination and focus. As mentioned above, I don't have the stength to never have sweets again. I am able to only have enough to stick to my calorie goals, however, and know I can have more tomorrow.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    maeggggan wrote: »
    I eat ice cream EVERY DAY. it is the first thing I put in my tracker :)

This^

Be honest, be accountable.

Don't make your weekly weight loss goal so aggressive that you can't fit something reasonable in. Then be picky. Find the treat that hits the spot.

I know I won't give up chocolate forever.