Clothes alterations

Options
Hello, everyone. I have been wondering, if it makes sense financially to alter clothes, particularly jeans, to fit my slimmer body. I've lost over 70 lbs, and i have many, many pairs of very nice jeans that are way too big now, some of them a few sizes too big. So do any of you do/ would try to alter them to fit your new body, or just say goodbye to them? They are big everywhere, waist, hips, thighs. Not even sure they can take in that much. Some of them would probably fit two of me now (yeah!, couldn't believe my eyes when i tried them on!). So is it worth bothering with at all, does anyone have any input /experience? Btw, i can sew, but wouldn't attempt this myself as it seems impossible. I do smaller alterations, so i don't have to buy new clothes so often

Replies

• thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Go see a seamstress to get a quote and compare cost of alterations to new. I have not tended to spend much on clothes so most items would cost more to alter than I originally paid for them. Or fashion/my taste has changed since purchase or on the flip side another reason to alter is whats currently around in shops is just not you.

With jeans, some people get new ones altered anyway (my sister has a long crutch or something so always gets jeans altered). You might get a better fit if they alter jeans just for you. But you would also need to know how you like your jeans to fit.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I tend to buy pricier jeans, so it made sense whilst I was losing to just take them in myself. The only sacrifice I made was that it was far easier for me to turn my boot cut jeans into skinny jeans.

If your sewing room/kit is a full set, then it wouldn't cost you a penny, only time. You are bound to have chalk, pins, snips, matching thread and a sewing machine.

Warning: Your first pair takes the longest to adjust. Oh and discerning where you want your two back darts for your buttocks to fit snuggly, less the saggy bottom jeans appearance, can be tricky, so take your time with that until you master it.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Buy some new jeans - you deserve it!
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Honestly YouTube and pintrest are your friends, I sew, embroider and knit but it's mostly self-taught with some pointers from family/friends.

If they are clothes you love you can alter them yourself, or just use the fabric to make yourself something new. I've definitely cannibalised some of my husband’s old shirts to make items for my home like hanging laundry bags.

So basically depends on the cost you put on your time as it can take a while, especially while you’re learning. I sew because I enjoy it and it’s difficult to eat while your hands are busy!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I sent all my good clothes to charity and started again. Also I found my tastes in clothes have changed anyway
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Maybe get some Old Navy leans to hold you over until you're done. They're $20 or so and have lots of style and size options.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My mother was a seamstress and I've had a lot of things altered.

There's a limit to how much you can alter anything w/o making into a complete reconstruction which wouldn't worth the cost except for your most expensive or sentimental items.

For pants, if it's more than just a simple waist reduction of 2-3" or less, it's better to just buy a new pair. Otherwise, adjustments probably will also have to be made in the crotch, hip & butt which is much more involved and costly.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    My mother was a seamstress and I've had a lot of things altered.

There's a limit to how much you can alter anything w/o making into a complete reconstruction which wouldn't worth the cost except for your most expensive or sentimental items.

For pants, if it's more than just a simple waist reduction of 2-3" or less, it's better to just buy a new pair. Otherwise, adjustments probably will also have to be made in the crotch, hip & butt which is much more involved and costly.

Yes, i agree. They are way past a simple waist adjustment, most of thwm, at least. Thanks, i don't think it's worth a complete reconstruction, so i need to figure thw best way of selling them.
  • icemom011
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Maybe get some Old Navy leans to hold you over until you're done. They're $20 or so and have lots of style and size options.
    That's an interesting idea, i even have the old Navy cash card
  • icemom011
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    I'd say it's definitely not worth it. If they're that big you'll compromise the integrity of the jeans trying to have them alerted. If they're high quality, try Plato's Closet or Clothes Mentor or another nice consignment shop to get some money out of them that you can invest back into new, well fitting clothes.
    I have Plato's closet not too far from me, but I've heard that they pay next to nothing. Worth a try, i guess. Thank you
  • icemom011
    Options
    I would just go buy a new pair! You earned it. 70 pounds is incredible, treat yourself!

Thank you
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Ebay your old clothes, and buy new ones on eBay. Lots of NWT (new with tags) items. Good temporary fillers for your wardrobe until you reach your goal.
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I second the selling the jeans on eBay. Congrats on the 70 pds loss! Treat yourself to some new jeans
  • icemom011
    Options
    I've never sold anything on ebay, just bought staff. I will have to learn that, i guess. Thank you.
  • ukkiosan
    ukkiosan Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Once I got near my goal weight, I had several of my nice, good-quality work and cocktail dresses altered - I was quoted $10 each for unlined and $25 for lined dresses, which is a pittance compared to the original retail cost (usually $200-400). Anything beyond a 3-size reduction was deemed risky in terms of final proper fit. I went to Goodwill for pants and tops while I was actively losing, and then several times I bought the $20 jeans at Old Navy, which held up surprisingly well - I have a pair in practically every size!

I sent to consignment anything that I could not get altered properly and was good quality, and I donated clothing that was on the lower-quality end...my biggest problem has been figuring out what to do with my nice VS bras (I went from 36D to 32A/B) - I can't really donate them but they're too pretty and gently worn to go in the trash! : S