Is 10-20% carb too low?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and am encouraged by sooo many of your successful stories, and I've just begin my journey of weight loss yesterday, although countless attempts have been made throughout my life, really damages my metabolism I think, because all I was doing before was strict dieting, sometimes not eating at all, not exercising at all because I didnt have the energy, then lost a 5or6, sometimes even 10 kilogram in one month-the result of starving myself to death- but gaining these back because I always go back to bingeing after the starving period.

And yes thats quite a horrible choice of the younger me:( I found that it's way harder for me to lose weight now even if I incorporated the calorie deficit method that worked great on a lot of people here. So instead of doing that I did a lot of research and calculated my macro daily needs for weight loss, that I should eat 1500 calories a day, with 10-20% of it carbs, 20-30% of fat and 40%-50% of protein.

but as I was doing it yesterday, I found that 10-20% of carb is pretty much not eating any form of major carb food like rice, potato or pasta etc., no matter its white or multigrain ones.

As I said, I don't want to be doing what I did to my body and want to maintain a more balanced and nutritious diet, so I'm not sure if this 10-20% data is what I should be doing, because I've seen people criticising the whole no carb high protein thingy, says it will cause kidney (or some other organ)failure...but then on the other hand, it feels scary and guilty to "make excuse" and not following the guideline... :(

or am I doing the calculation incorrectly? because it does feel like the 40% protein is so hard to achieve without drinking protein shakes.

I'm 5'4 and weighed around 190 pounds, it's such a shame that I've got to 170something few months back with the starving and quickly gained back to 190 in one month...have been stressful and the more I think about my weight the more I ate. Anyway, if anyone could answer my concerns I would be very appreciated, also good luck to you all!!! :)

Replies

• Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    If you have just started just eat what you want in smaller portions to reach your calories goal.
    Unless you have specific health problems you don't need to go low carbs. It can be a choice if you think you will eat less calories that way.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I agree with the previous poster - all you need to focus on is staying in a calorie deficit. That said, if you think you would prefer low carb (the food appeals to you), it's a viable option. BUT, low carb is typically high fat, not high protein. I don't know where you got that macro split form, but it sounds way too high in protein, and not nearly high enough in fat. I've been eating low carb for three years now (I prefer it since I like those types of foods and they keep me feeling full so I can get away with eating less without going hungry), but I get most of my calories from fat. Roughly 60/20/20 fat/protein/carb. No, I can't fit in much in the way of high starch foods (like potatoes, rice, and pasta), but I can get plenty of fibrous veggies, seeds and nuts, low sugar fruit, and high fat dairy to meet nutritional and fiber needs. If you are interested in low carb eating, hop on over to the low carb forum http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    There are a lot of great sources there for getting started, and lots of friendly, knowledgable people. Good luck!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    You got to 170 starving, which is a shame. From where you are today, set your mfp weight loss goal to lose 0.5 lb per week. This is going to give you a 250 calorie per day deficit. You can jigger your macros, but try starting back at the default values and quit worrying about macros. Instead, try hitting 0.8 grams of protein per kg of your body weight. So, figure that value. Try hitting 25 grams of fiber. Try keeping the added sugar as low as you possibly can. Get 30 or so grams of fat, which is a 'serving' of avocado, for instance. Once you have enough meat and veg to meet those goals, figure how you're going to use carbs for the rest. Beans, lentils, etc, called "pulses" , serve double duty by satisfying protein and fiber needs. Oatmeal also supplies protein and fiber. If you continue exercising, make sure to eat back enough of your exercise calories to keep your rate of weight loss at 2 lb/month. You can do this and be comfortable at the same time, which is good, because when you get to your goal you have to maintain there.
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    I speak from experience when I say low carb is a good way too lose weight but definitely not the way to go. The biggest thing to remember is that is a lifestyle change if you want to keep the weight off. People think they can cut out food, lose weight and go back to their old eating habits and be fine but it's those old habits that got them there in the first place. Do calories deficit of 500cal, keep eating carbs but good carbs like whole wheat and brown rice. And get in the habit of doing a good run once or twice a week as running burns the most calories...
  • rachelblesso
    rachelblesso Posts: 12 Member
    I would say that 10-20 percent is the sweet spot. Even lower if you're body is okay with it. Keep those carbs coming from vegetables, keep your protein high, and fats moderate.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I would say that 10-20 percent is the sweet spot. Even lower if you're body is okay with it. Keep those carbs coming from vegetables, keep your protein high, and fats moderate.

low carb is usually high fat and moderate protein. It doesnt matter how you eat,as long as you are in a calorie deficit you can eat what you like,just less of it. if you like breads,rice,etc just make them fit into your calorie goal.if you want to try low carb,do a search and look for the low carb groups here they will help you out.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    That would be too low for me, but you need to find what works for you. You have already discovered that starving yourself is not the way to go. I like the idea of just logging what you are eating now, and then look at ways to cut back a bit. The best diet is the one you can stick with without feeling deprived. The low carb group is a good idea, if you would like some more ideas.
  • NyanNyanKate
    NyanNyanKate Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you for all these awsome replies!! :)
    these give me a clearer idea as to what I should really focus on. And yes I do want to have healthy lifestyle as my priority and losing weight as the side effect, so will be toggling around my nutrition needs and maybe try going a bit low-carb first, because I used to crave high carbs and I think this is the main reason why I started bingeing, the more I ate the more I crave.

If this low carb wont work out for me I will just set the number higher little by little. And also I'm really grateful for the comments about high fat is actually the way to go so definitely from tomorrow I will try to consume more healthy fats.

Again, thanks to all you wonderful people!! :D
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Whether or not low carb is beneficial to you, depends on whether or not you can sustain such a low value of carb, whether or not fats satiate you, and whether or not it can help you reach your fitness goals. For me, low carb makes me feel like crap, my exercise goes in the crapper and carbs satiate me. So it's a bad choice. For others, it's the opposite. Regardless of macronutrient split, calories should be your primary focus. 1500 is probably a good start. I would probably increase fats though and decrease protein (35% protein will put you around 130g which will put you in a good range).

What are your actual goals outside of weight loss? Because exercise is just as important to the entire equation. And especially if you have previously aggressively lost, exercise can improve things, especially resistance/weight training.
  • applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    What ever you do, don't go low fat. Women need to consume healthy fats for balanced hormonal system. As it goes for carbs and protein, find the ratio that fits for you.
    I can't function on low carbs. Everything in moderation and in caloric deficit does it for me. And of course, lot's of weight lifting. Which would be great change for you since you probably lost some mass when didn't eat at all. Best of luck! :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    I agree with the previous poster - all you need to focus on is staying in a calorie deficit. That said, if you think you would prefer low carb (the food appeals to you), it's a viable option. BUT, low carb is typically high fat, not high protein. I don't know where you got that macro split form, but it sounds way too high in protein, and not nearly high enough in fat. I've been eating low carb for three years now (I prefer it since I like those types of foods and they keep me feeling full so I can get away with eating less without going hungry), but I get most of my calories from fat. Roughly 60/20/20 fat/protein/carb. No, I can't fit in much in the way of high starch foods (like potatoes, rice, and pasta), but I can get plenty of fibrous veggies, seeds and nuts, low sugar fruit, and high fat dairy to meet nutritional and fiber needs. If you are interested in low carb eating, hop on over to the low carb forum http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    There are a lot of great sources there for getting started, and lots of friendly, knowledgable people. Good luck!

Agree with bolded & other advice to eat adequate fat. ~0.35g/lb bodyweight at a minimum. High protein increases risk for constipation short term and gall stones long term. Plus it's expensive.

The only way to know what will work best for you is to experiment. Try LCHF several weeks and make detailed observations re: how you feel. Personally, I feel best on equal calories from each macro, 33-34-33. Everyone is different.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    What ever you do, don't go low fat. Women need to consume healthy fats for balanced hormonal system. As it goes for carbs and protein, find the ratio that fits for you.
    I can't function on low carbs. Everything in moderation and in caloric deficit does it for me. And of course, lot's of weight lifting. Which would be great change for you since you probably lost some mass when didn't eat at all. Best of luck! :)

well if she goes low carb then she will have to eat higher fats,but what about those who have to watch their fat intake due to health issues?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Just eat regular foods in moderation.

You said so yourself, you binged after starving yourself and re-gained. Will you be able to eat moderate carbs after you get to goal, after restricting them so severely to lose weight? OR Are you expecting low carb to be a future lifestyle, a way of eating for years to come?

No more temporary diets for me. I always re-gain too. Look for things that you can change for good.
  • NyanNyanKate
    psulemon wrote: »
    Whether or not low carb is beneficial to you, depends on whether or not you can sustain such a low value of carb, whether or not fats satiate you, and whether or not it can help you reach your fitness goals. For me, low carb makes me feel like crap, my exercise goes in the crapper and carbs satiate me. So it's a bad choice. For others, it's the opposite. Regardless of macronutrient split, calories should be your primary focus. 1500 is probably a good start. I would probably increase fats though and decrease protein (35% protein will put you around 130g which will put you in a good range).

What are your actual goals outside of weight loss? Because exercise is just as important to the entire equation. And especially if you have previously aggressively lost, exercise can improve things, especially resistance/weight training.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    and goals for exercise...at the moment i'm just doing interval cardio everyday on cross trainers for 30-40minutes and apart from that I'm a teacher, so will spend most of my day standing during work.

I'm not sure if I should do weight lifting like so many others have suggested, it's not that I don't like it, I actually hate cardio for the hideous boring repetitive motion and my legs feel sore while doing it. but I'm not sure what kind of lifting I could do, there are just so many instructions out there on the internet that I don't know where to start yet, and also worrying that I might be doing it wrong and damage myself etc.
    sorry if this sounds like excuses :( I'm just generally a timid person, if I have insufficient knowledge about something I wont dare to do it and will just put it aside first. But I might get a personal trainer in the future.
  • NyanNyanKate
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    I agree with the previous poster - all you need to focus on is staying in a calorie deficit. That said, if you think you would prefer low carb (the food appeals to you), it's a viable option. BUT, low carb is typically high fat, not high protein. I don't
    Agree with bolded & other advice to eat adequate fat. ~0.35g/lb bodyweight at a minimum. High protein increases risk for constipation short term and gall stones long term. Plus it's expensive.

The only way to know what will work best for you is to experiment. Try LCHF several weeks and make detailed observations re: how you feel. Personally, I feel best on equal calories from each macro, 33-34-33. Everyone is different.

oh my god it IS expensive haha, to the point that I question myself if this diet is going to be lifelong, am I going to be able to afford it or will this be another excuse to go back on the unhealthy high carb track because foods of this kind tend to be much cheaper! how sad!

But thanks to you guys I don't have to spend that much on protein now hehe, will aim for a higher fat ratio instead. :)

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator

and goals for exercise...at the moment i'm just doing interval cardio everyday on cross trainers for 30-40minutes and apart from that I'm a teacher, so will spend most of my day standing during work.

I'm not sure if I should do weight lifting like so many others have suggested, it's not that I don't like it, I actually hate cardio for the hideous boring repetitive motion and my legs feel sore while doing it. but I'm not sure what kind of lifting I could do, there are just so many instructions out there on the internet that I don't know where to start yet, and also worrying that I might be doing it wrong and damage myself etc.
    sorry if this sounds like excuses :( I'm just generally a timid person, if I have insufficient knowledge about something I wont dare to do it and will just put it aside first. But I might get a personal trainer in the future.

If you don't know where to start, I would suggest looking at the below thread. If you want to get into weight training, look into the New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves. They are good books and walk you through exercise routines and nutrition.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • NyanNyanKate

If you don't know where to start, I would suggest looking at the below thread. If you want to get into weight training, look into the New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves. They are good books and walk you through exercise routines and nutrition.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

That's super helpful!!! thanks a tons
    I'm currently eating 25% carb 30% protein and 45% fat, exercise everyday for 40minute to 1 hour, and will be incorporating lifting very soon :blush:

I'm still very motivated thanks to the healthy diet that doesnt reduce me to a weak fragile sensitive emotional person like what starving myself did to me haha!
    super energetic and looking forward to those liftings! Thanks to you all!