Good info for first time winter runners

Options
http://www.healthyfits.net/what-happens-to-your-body-during-a-winter-run/
Pretty good article for those about to embark on their first winter runs (if you're far enough in the northern hemisphere to get cold).

Replies

• Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    They make it sound like so much fun
    ...... whoever wrote the article got it all wrong. Winter time running is not a "necessary evil" it can be an absolute joy. Until you've had the pleasure of running in freshly fallen snow, listening to the crunch of snow underfoot you've missed a big part of running.. (it gets down to -40C here occasionally over winter)

And for the people who hate running outside in the cold there's always the dreadmill.....

sf7k585qc7zq.jpg

Love that perspective! Being out in the elements is part of the experience! Way to go! Love the photo!!!!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    They make it sound like so much fun
    ...... whoever wrote the article got it all wrong. Winter time running is not a "necessary evil" it can be an absolute joy. Until you've had the pleasure of running in freshly fallen snow, listening to the crunch of snow underfoot you've missed a big part of running.. (it gets down to -40C here occasionally over winter)

And for the people who hate running outside in the cold there's always the dreadmill.....

sf7k585qc7zq.jpg

I've run in -30 to -40C for military training in less than you have on there. It's amazing what you can survive in when you run lol.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I have admit I don't understand this perspective that well...like, maybe it's just because I'm just not the personality type but I derive no pleasure from putting myself through the kind of discomfort a -30 or -40 run entails. I love the treadmill in the winter and I am not even a little ashamed. Running outdoors loses every bit of its appeal to me when my eyelashes freeze my eyes shut and the skin on my thighs takes two hours to warm again.

I'm a prairie Canadian and I love winter sports and I definitely know how to dress for the weather (and I'll happily spend the day outside skiing because outside is the only option), but yeah...there comes a point where I joyfully head indoors for some treadmill miles.

I'm totally content to be a fair-weather princess runner, lol.
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    Marking
  • socialdchic
    socialdchic Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I was hoping this would give advice on how to combat all of those things instead of just telling everyone what they already know.. this will be my first year running in the cold but it did not :(
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    In my opinion, it would have been more productive to write an article that seeks to educate a beginning runner on how to properly prepare for winter running with the proper warm up and clothing etc.

As to the temperature, there is nothing noble or manly about running in -30F weather. In fact, it is rather foolish and down right dangerous (read: deadly).
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Ahh, living in Louisiana it's just the opposite. I use the treadmill in the summer, and run outdoors in the "winter" (when it'a like 60-70 degrees in the morning and 85 by noon).
  • crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm disappointed that this thread didn't have helpful suggestions. I'm not going to be running when it gets super super cold but do do want to try to extend my outdoor running routine as long as possible.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    And you can always cross country ski in the winter. Great aerobic work out and even arm workout as well.
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    And you can always cross country ski in the winter. Great aerobic work out and even arm workout as well.

I have been thinking this would be an awesome alternative!!