I am underweight!

Options
:happy: Hello! I am new to My Fitness Pal. I am loving it so far!
I am a little different than most others on this program, I am trying to gain weight. I am a 21 year old, and am underweight. I am 5'7, and 109 lbs. Although you may think that being "the skinny magazine girl" is something everyone wants, it isn't. As much as obese people get made fun of, I am right here with them. All day, I hear comments like, " Do you ever eat?", "You're as skinny as a beam pole!", and "I haven't seen you in a while, why are you losing so much weight?". Oh, how much I would love to just gain that weight to be a healthy woman. I am looking for friends that are in the same situation! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• catecn
    catecn Posts: 84
    Options
    while im not in your situation, i used to be. I let comments about my weight get to me, and get really unhealthy to make them stop and gained a lot of fat. Im sorry people dont understant, just be healthy and try not to let what others say get to you
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    wow! we are same height! How do you stay so thin! fast metabolism? idk lol =] tellll me! hahaha i don't want to gain weight, but we are the same height, and i'm 131 hoping to get around 127-123. maybe we will met the same weight one day haha =] !
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    There are a number of people on MFP in your situation (I'm not one of them, but anyway...) so I know you'll find the support and motivation you need. Welcome and good luck to you!
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight and underweight. I got all the same comments when I was underweight but never any comments about my weight when I was overweight. The comments damaged my self esteem and I hated my body....I still struggle with this. You are taking control and becoming healthy and thats a good thing. Good luck!
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I also have been both. You will find the support you need here. This isn't a diet. A healthy lifestyle change. There are all kinds of peopel with all kinds of issues. But one common thing is we all want to be healthy. Welcome to MFP!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" too...and I didn't go OVER 100 lbs. until I was about 19 or 20. I never dieted - that was just my natural body weight. I desperately wanted to gain weight for the longest time.

And in time, I got my wish. :-/

While you are thin, and assuming that your weight is where your body naturally wants to be at this stage of your life (i.e. you didn't do anything unhealthy to get to 109), I would try to not worry much about it. Easier said than done I'm sure. :)

Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I had the same build when I your age, just a shorter version. I wasn't intentionally trying to be skinny. It's just where the combination my appetite and metabolism left me. But I got all the teasing, too.

My family would always tell me "It'll catch up with you," and they were right. By the time I got around 25 or 26, I was about 10-15 pounds heavier... then I got a desk job and a husband, and gained more. :tongue:

MFP is a great tool to tweak your eating habits and make sure you're eating enough. You'll love it here. :heart:
  • lishac23
    lishac23 Posts: 16
    Options
    :happy: Hello! I am new to My Fitness Pal. I am loving it so far!
    I am a little different than most others on this program, I am trying to gain weight. I am a 21 year old, and am underweight. I am 5'7, and 109 lbs. Although you may think that being "the skinny magazine girl" is something everyone wants, it isn't. As much as obese people get made fun of, I am right here with them. All day, I hear comments like, " Do you ever eat?", "You're as skinny as a beam pole!", and "I haven't seen you in a while, why are you losing so much weight?". Oh, how much I would love to just gain that weight to be a healthy woman. I am looking for friends that are in the same situation! :flowerforyou:

In the exact same situation. Posted a similar topic this morning. I'm 5'9" and weigh 112-115 lbs. I've heard all the same comments and have been trying to put on weight for years. I've heard from friends and family that after kids...you'll definitely put on wieght...or when you get to your mid-twenties...I'm 30 years old with two kids and NOTHING. I know how you feel and came here for the same support. I've learned this is a great place to meet great people who are more than willing to lend an ear!
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    This makes me think of myself many years ago, only my story is different. I've battled being overweight all my life, when i was 19 i lost ALOT of weight, i had a goal weight, but lost more and more, i got to the point were i looked WAY to thin, and my freinds, for the first time in my life would say, "Carol eat something, your to thin!!!" Never in my life have i ever heard that, and its amazing how its stuck with me all these years. People can be looked down on no matter what, we need to love ourselfs first.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into checking your thyroid and/or fasting/fed blood sugar? There may be an underlying reason for your leanness. You have the benefit of looking really ripped if you start seriously lifting weights! :wink:
  • leshagen
    leshagen Posts: 36
    Options
    Like many others, I am not in the same situation as you, but I feel your pain. Why can't people accept us as we are and stop being so critical? Please don't listen to what family/friends/strangers say about your weight. It may cause you to develop unhealthy habits that you may regret in the future. In time you WILL GAIN WEIGHT, because your metabolism will slow down. Enjoy who you are now and to hell with what others think you should be. I think you're awesome just the way you are :D
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. Its worse when other women are mean because they think we do it on purpose. Sometimes one can't help it.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I used to be really skinny, 135lbs, 5'8". It was hard to put on muscle no matter how much I lifted weights because I could never eat enough. I started taking 2 dessiccated liver tablets before each meal, and this greatly helped increase my appetite. The tablets are also a good source of Iron, amino acids, vitamins, and lean protein. Plus they're cheap!