Eating disorder ?

Options
Hi everyone. I hope I will not be judged for writing this but I feel really confused. Several people on this forum suggested that I have an eating disorder and I kept telling myself that it was not true and that I was fine but now , I am not sure if I may actually be having an eating disorder. A little bit on my current situation : Was 58 kg ( 157 cm ) and extremely unhappy with myself. Tried several diets and failed. Found MFP and got to the weight I always wanted : 49-50KG. I am now 158 cm , 49-50kg and 19 years old. I am extremely happy with the way I look and I love my body now but I've become obsessed with counting calories , weighing everything ,weighing myself everyday etc. I eat a lot on weekend because I love pizza , doughnuts etc and then eat a few (1000 cals everyday) during the week. I love this method so I am not sure if this classifies as an eating disorder and I am happy with my weight. Also , I have secondary amenorrhea and I dont know how to fix it and get everything back to normal. My friend also had it and her doctor put her on a pill , but I really wouldn't like to take the pill. Sorry for all the wining , but I would really love to hear from someone who has gone/ is going through the same thing .

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    stop counting calories... for today, just don't count.

How does that make you feel?

Have you seen a doctor about the amenorrhea? if not, you need to, messing around with your fertility is not a good idea.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I hope I will not be judged for writing this but I feel really confused. Several people on this forum suggested that I have an eating disorder and I kept telling myself that it was not true and that I was fine but now , I am not sure if I may actually be having an eating disorder. A little bit on my current situation : Was 58 kg ( 157 cm ) and extremely unhappy with myself. Tried several diets and failed. Found MFP and got to the weight I always wanted : 49-50KG. I am now 158 cm , 49-50kg and 19 years old. I am extremely happy with the way I look and I love my body now but I've become obsessed with counting calories , weighing everything ,weighing myself everyday etc. I eat a lot on weekend because I love pizza , doughnuts etc and then eat a few (1000 cals everyday) during the week. I love this method so I am not sure if this classifies as an eating disorder and I am happy with my weight. Also , I have secondary amenorrhea and I dont know how to fix it and get everything back to normal. My friend also had it and her doctor put her on a pill , but I really wouldn't like to take the pill. Sorry for all the wining , but I would really love to hear from someone who has gone/ is going through the same thing .

Taking the bolded into account, You're at a 'healthy' weight for your height, you love the way you look and your weight.
    You restrict during the week to 1000 cals(if you're not active and exercising a lot this is considered 'okay' for women) per day, you enjoy what you love on the weekends.
    You count calories and weigh everything you put in your face and weigh yourself everyday.
    Based on this, I may also have an eating disorder :scream:

You have secondary amenorrhea, can happen for a number of reasons. One of which is, of course, stress.

Have you seen a doctor about the amenorrhea? if not, you need to, messing around with your fertility is not a good idea.

All great advice.

I had a friend try and tell me I had an eating disorder. I went on 3 day trip with her and counted nothing and felt totally comfortable.

Definitely see a doctor about the amenorrhea, while stress COULD be a factor, it's usually note the only one.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    It's a good sign that you are happy with your weight and size and that you do eat foods you like. When I was anorexic I was never happy with my size and felt I had more fat to lose even when I was only 104 pounds and my bones were all showing. I also tried to eat as few calories as possible all the time.

Some people on here set up their calories exactly as you have done- with a lower calorie goal throughout the week and a higher one on the weekend so they can be free to indulge. Personally I'd think that's more like a strategy than an eating disorder.

I can relate to the obsessive behavior, I'm big on numbers and data and weigh myself every day and all my food. I'm no longer dealing with eating disorders btw, I overcame them almost 20 years ago. I don't think you need to be so obsessed now that you're in maintenance mode though, maybe you could work on relaxing a bit on counting your food now? It depends if you feel it's unhealthy behavior or taking over too much of your life/attention.

The amenorrhea you should see a doctor about, not just go by what your friend's doctor did. It's possible that though you are happy at this weight and like it aesthetically that it may be too low for your health. Or something else could be going on- only a doctor can access that.

It's possible you may be a little more obsessed with food and calories and weight than is healthy, or it might just be a side effect of having had to do that to lose the weight you wanted to lose. It's good to be aware that it could be or could turn into a problem. Be careful and if you do think it's becoming a problem then maybe seek therapy.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

If its just for a day, fine I guess.. I mean I dont count calories on Friday , saturday and Sunday

Also , I first went to a Gynecologist ( sorry If spelled wrong) , and she blamed my weight and me for not eating enough and not having energy for my body to work properly
    Then , I went to the family doctor , one which we trust completely and he told me that my body needs to adjust to my new weight since I have lost some weight . It could also be because of me stressing about my weight!

Thanks for helping :)
  • healthy491
    Options
    BodyByBex wrote: »

Taking the bolded into account, You're at a 'healthy' weight for your height, you love the way you look and your weight.
    You restrict during the week to 1000 cals(if you're not active and exercising a lot this is considered 'okay' for women) per day, you enjoy what you love on the weekends.
    You count calories and weigh everything you put in your face and weigh yourself everyday.
    Based on this, I may also have an eating disorder :scream:

You have secondary amenorrhea, can happen for a number of reasons. One of which is, of course, stress.

All great advice.

I had a friend try and tell me I had an eating disorder. I went on 3 day trip with her and counted nothing and felt totally comfortable.

Definitely see a doctor about the amenorrhea, while stress COULD be a factor, it's usually note the only one.

Thanks a lot for your advice :) ! As I said , I went to a gynecologist and she blamed my weight and me eating too little
    Then I went to my family doctor and told me that my body needs to adjust to me new weight.
    Stress could also be a factor !
    Also , I do exercise low impact cardio for 45 mins everyday
  • healthy491
    Options
    It's a good sign that you are happy with your weight and size and that you do eat foods you like. When I was anorexic I was never happy with my size and felt I had more fat to lose even when I was only 104 pounds and my bones were all showing. I also tried to eat as few calories as possible all the time.

Some people on here set up their calories exactly as you have done- with a lower calorie goal throughout the week and a higher one on the weekend so they can be free to indulge. Personally I'd think that's more like a strategy than an eating disorder.

I can relate to the obsessive behavior, I'm big on numbers and data and weigh myself every day and all my food. I'm no longer dealing with eating disorders btw, I overcame them almost 20 years ago. I don't think you need to be so obsessed now that you're in maintenance mode though, maybe you could work on relaxing a bit on counting your food now? It depends if you feel it's unhealthy behavior or taking over too much of your life/attention.

The amenorrhea you should see a doctor about, not just go by what your friend's doctor did. It's possible that though you are happy at this weight and like it aesthetically that it may be too low for your health. Or something else could be going on- only a doctor can access that.

It's possible you may be a little more obsessed with food and calories and weight than is healthy, or it might just be a side effect of having had to do that to lose the weight you wanted to lose. It's good to be aware that it could be or could turn into a problem. Be careful and if you do think it's becoming a problem then maybe seek therapy.

Thanks for your help :) ! As I said to the others, I went to both a gynacelogist and our family doctor . I am scared to go again because I sooo dont want to hear '' your body was not meant for that weight and you need to gain''
    Honestly , that would crush me
    I am kinda hoping its the lack of good fats in my diet.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

If its just for a day, fine I guess.. I mean I dont count calories on Friday , saturday and Sunday

Also , I first went to a Gynecologist ( sorry If spelled wrong) , and she blamed my weight and me for not eating enough and not having energy for my body to work properly
    Then , I went to the family doctor , one which we trust completely and he told me that my body needs to adjust to my new weight since I have lost some weight . It could also be because of me stressing about my weight!

This is possible. Your body could just need time to adjust- I was listening to a podcast about weight loss and they were saying many women lose their period from being in a caloric deficit- even some women who are very overweight. And it comes back when they eat at maintenance again.

I never lost mine when I had my eating disorder, but I did lose it once for about 6 months when I went from mostly sedentary to taking tennis lessons at night & on weekends and being active in sports at school.

At least you've seen a doctor- maybe give it a little time and see what happens? And if it doesn't come back then see the doctor again.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    You are on the fairly low end of the healthy BMI for your height/weight. Do you know what your body fat percentage is?
  • healthy491
    Options

This is possible. Your body could just need time to adjust- I was listening to a podcast about weight loss and they were saying many women lose their period from being in a caloric deficit- even some women who are very overweight. And it comes back when they eat at maintenance again.

I never lost mine when I had my eating disorder, but I did lose it once for about 6 months when I went from mostly sedentary to taking tennis lessons at night & on weekends and being active in sports at school.

At least you've seen a doctor- maybe give it a little time and see what happens? And if it doesn't come back then see the doctor again.

Thank you :) ! Yeah I havent had mine for about 3 months , got it once and then havent had it again for 6 months and counting
  • healthy491
    Options
    You are on the fairly low end of the healthy BMI for your height/weight. Do you know what your body fat percentage is?

According to my fitbit aria scale its between 21-22.5%
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents. It sounds as if you are employing a great strategy for your age as long as you really don't count through weekend and eat a healthy 1000. Go back after 6 months and check with your gp if your period still hasn't started.
  • healthy491
    Options
    tekwriter wrote: »
    Just my two cents. It sounds as if you are employing a great strategy for your age as long as you really don't count through weekend and eat a healthy 1000. Go back after 6 months and check with your gp if your period still hasn't started.

Thanks a lot for your response :)
    Yeah I usually eat whole grains , fruit , vegetables and fish/chicken from monday to thursday :)
    I started this method a month ago but I havent had my period for 8 months !
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    What is your activity level?

Amenorrhea can be caused by low energy availability, which is the difference between calories in food eaten and exercise calories expended. The tipping point is EA at levels below 30 calories per pound of LBM. There is evidence that your body reacts to low EA within 5 days of it beginning. If you routinely eat 1000 calories through the week, that could absolutely be causing your amenorrhea.
  • MrWilson6
    MrWilson6 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

I don't typically comment on things like this, but after reading your post, I think those who have told you that you have an eating disorder, are idiots. There is a very big difference between "eating disorders" and "disordered eating", and I don't believe you have either. Most of us have some form of disordered eating, but that doesn't mean we are unhealthy. The main thing is that you are happy with what you have achieved so far, and how you look and feel. Don't let yourself be brought down by others, who quite possible are just envious of what YOU have achieved. Be who you want to be, and don't let others get in your way of being happy!
  • healthy491
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What is your activity level?

Amenorrhea can be caused by low energy availability, which is the difference between calories in food eaten and exercise calories expended. The tipping point is EA at levels below 30 calories per pound of LBM. There is evidence that your body reacts to low EA within 5 days of it beginning. If you routinely eat 1000 calories through the week, that could absolutely be causing your amenorrhea.

I burn about 2000 calories daily according to my fitbit but dont count calories and eat whatever I want 3 days a week
  • healthy491
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Mersie1 wrote: »
    Hi! I am in strong recovery from a multi decade eating disorder- actually every type of ED. I am 45 yo. I think if you are questioning it, then it's worth getting professional support. Eating disorders exist on a spectrum. You could give it the label of eating disorder or not- the fact is you are concerned. That is reason enough to get support and guidance- you deserve that. It may be contained to disordered eating right now as opposed to farther down the spectrum to a deeply rooted ED. Regardless help is available. The national eating disorder association has a wonderful website that can point you in the direction of support. I cannot stress enough how much you deserve to feel good. Sending you big hugs and high fives for reaching out here and treating yourself kindly!

Thank you soo much for this ! :) and good job ! You should be so proud of yourself ! ❤
  • healthy491
    Options
    MrWilson6 wrote: »

I don't typically comment on things like this, but after reading your post, I think those who have told you that you have an eating disorder, are idiots. There is a very big difference between "eating disorders" and "disordered eating", and I don't believe you have either. Most of us have some form of disordered eating, but that doesn't mean we are unhealthy. The main thing is that you are happy with what you have achieved so far, and how you look and feel. Don't let yourself be brought down by others, who quite possible are just envious of what YOU have achieved. Be who you want to be, and don't let others get in your way of being happy!

Awhh thank you soo much :)
  • healthy491
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies :)
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Hi, in my point of view, when you have a reasonable weight and feel well in your body, I don't see any eating disorder.

In my experience, eating disorder is being way below an acceptable BMI and feeling terrible fat.

Counting calories presicely, so what? People calculate alt kind of things and if it helps reassuring you I don't see a problem.

After loosing weight and stabilising, I kept counting for months. With time, I let go of the counting and put my energy into other occupations I enjoy more.

I guess that will be my advice; make a priority for something you're passionate about, it will take away the focus from calculating.