Question - Extreme hunger after excercise (Cardio)

Options
quck background --> Jan 1st started 1800 cal a day diet
--> By End of June dipped under 300lbs (60lbs lost) and joined a gym

Now that I am at a Gym I usually do cardio (tread/elipticle) for 1hr

However, I find myself extrodinarly hungry after a workout (Mon-Fri) and as a result have gone over my 1800 calories and usually end up eating back my excercise calories (and then some)

I would like to stick to around 1800 - 2000 cals a day w/o eating back any excercise calories.

But I find myself in a hunger that is out of control after excercise (which wasn't there if I didn't excercise)

Are they any foods that I can eat immediatley after a workout that may curb this? or any hints or suggestions that anybody can share who maybe has gone through this?

Thanks

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    You burn more= you need more. It is ok to be hungry after working out. You use alot of energy exercising. That is why your exercise cals are there to be eaten.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    try a banana before or after it will help give you some fast healthy energy!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    It's fine to eat back exercise calories, its natural for your body to want to recover after burning.

However, eating healthy protein choices like chicken, fish, and lean meat will help you to not overeat after working out.
  • ABARNHART
    ABARNHART Posts: 25
    Options
    I just watched a show on Doctor Oz that discussed the way protien helps with hunger. Maybe you could try eating a boiled egg. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm gonna try. I find that protien does tend to satisfy me more than other foods. The guy on the show said we should be eating a lot of protien in the morning to curb those hunger attacks. Good luck finding your way. Anita:flowerforyou:
  • ChazzyBe
    ChazzyBe Posts: 3
    Options
    Try a smoothie. That always seems to be a good after workout food especially with the things you can add like proteins, electrolyte mixes, etc.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    You burn more= you need more. It is ok to be hungry after working out. You use alot of energy exercising. That is why your exercise cals are there to be eaten.

Absolutely, eat your exercises calories!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ladyhawk00/view/mfp-basics-78491
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/idssports3.htm
    http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
  • MeganJo
    MeganJo Posts: 69
    Options
    Protein!
  • awal2069
    awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    quck background --> Jan 1st started 1800 cal a day diet
    --> By End of June dipped under 300lbs (60lbs lost) and joined a gym

Now that I am at a Gym I usually do cardio (tread/elipticle) for 1hr

However, I find myself extrodinarly hungry after a workout (Mon-Fri) and as a result have gone over my 1800 calories and usually end up eating back my excercise calories (and then some)

I would like to stick to around 1800 - 2000 cals a day w/o eating back any excercise calories.

But I find myself in a hunger that is out of control after excercise (which wasn't there if I didn't excercise)

Are they any foods that I can eat immediatley after a workout that may curb this? or any hints or suggestions that anybody can share who maybe has gone through this?

Thanks

I find that a protein shake right after working out, not matter what I do, HELPS SO MUCH. Might want to try that and see if it helps you. They have pre made protein shakes you can buy anywhere, or you can make your own. Hope it helps!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    this is a prime example of why people need to eat their exercise calories,,,

I mean if you are on the eliptical for an hour I am sure you are burning a TON of calories...

Make sure you are eating 1800 NET calories. this means that you will eat your exercise calories back. Which is what you are supposed to do if you are Starving.
  • Hnfjw
    Hnfjw Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I will try the protein shake to see if that helps (since I have them handy)

and eat back 1/2 of my excercise calories..