Whole30, anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients.

This statement always makes me twitch. I understand what the people using it are trying to convey, however, it still makes me twitch.

omfcxiyvsi1h.jpg

The good thing about it though is depending your education level, you get to eat a lot more food.
  • 232good
    232good Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    232good wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    WHAT is whole30??

It's an extreme elimination diet. It didn't start out for weight loss, it was for people suspecting allergies, sensitivities, etc. People lost weight because so many food categories were eliminated.

OP - do you plan on being ADDED sugar free for the rest of your life? You're not "addicted" to sugar in fruits and veggies the same way?

I plan on breaking the habit of how much added sugar I was intaking. It was unhealthy. I don't crave the sugar from fruits like I crave chocolate or ice cream lol. So this is a program that helps to re-structure my relationship with food. I don't mind if I don't lose much weight on it since I'm down to my last 15 pounds, but rather id love to feel great and so far cutting out diary has been amazing for me.

So you're not addicted to sugar.

You like the taste combination of sugar and fats.

Just like most people.

Yup.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'll be starting this next week, not for me, but for my husband. He's doing it to both try to find out what's causing stomach pains but he also, like me, enjoys a challenge. I know people cringe (or twitch) at the word diet or common phrases used in diet plans, but sometimes people just need a kick start.

OP, how do you feel on Day 6 (today)?
  • xxxxlana
    xxxxlana Posts: 1 Member
    Options

This statement always makes me twitch. I understand what the people using it are trying to convey, however, it still makes me twitch.

omfcxiyvsi1h.jpg

This is the dumbest comment because you can't mix those ingredients in a lab and engineer an egg. But you can mix a bunch of artificial ingredients in a lab and come out with an engineered block of "food".

That is what people mean by when they say "least ingredients as possible". They mean they don't want you eating chemically engineered food-like products.

On the egg carton an egg is just listed as "egg". If potatoes had labels they would just be "potato". questbars on the other hand aren't just "flour mill and butter", they have a bajillion unnatural ingredients.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    xxxxlana wrote: »

omfcxiyvsi1h.jpg

This is the dumbest comment because you can't mix those ingredients in a lab and engineer an egg. But you can mix a bunch of artificial ingredients in a lab and come out with an engineered block of "food".

That is what people mean by when they say "least ingredients as possible". They mean they don't want you eating chemically engineered food-like products.

On the egg carton an egg is just listed as "egg". If potatoes had labels they would just be "potato". questbars on the other hand aren't just "flour mill and butter", they have a bajillion unnatural ingredients.

So you read the meme, but not the comment I posted with it? Gotcha.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    xxxxlana wrote: »

omfcxiyvsi1h.jpg

Serious question: what is the start point for "artificial ingredient?" If I buy sweet potatoes, most people here will say it is natural. If I buy tater tots, most call it processed garbage. Is the difference how long a shelf life something has, or how big a kitchen it was made in?

I get annoyed. No one's brought this one up here, but I get tired of reading "made with unprocessed, all natural foods you can pronounce!" followed shortly by "is a superfood that contains beta carotine, potassium, omega 3 fatty acids." It's all chemicals. Give it time, and you might even get your engineered eggs.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQXR9n_LcbSP1M6eMOjrdCKonQS1JXr3iZdFYgjrVmvfosfshScQ
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Challenges like this are the reason why people fail at losing/maintaining weight.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Options
    Challenges like this are the reason why people fail at losing/maintaining weight.

This diet isn't about losing weight though. One commenter even said she gained. This diet is about wiping the slate clean and trying to find which foods might be causing issues relating but not limited to digestion, sleeping, cravings, allergies, inflammation and unreasonable relationships with food.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

This diet isn't about losing weight though. One commenter even said she gained. This diet is about wiping the slate clean and trying to find which foods might be causing issues relating but not limited to digestion, sleeping, cravings, allergies, inflammation and unreasonable relationships with food.

True, but I think the problem is that there are a lot of people that aren't look at using it for it's intended purpose. Or don't understand it's purpose. The OP, for example, sure looks like they are just using it to lose weight, not to find an allergy or other food issue. At least, that's not how I read her post.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

From the OP's first post ' Hoping to lose about 15 pounds in my journey total', so yeah, she's trying to use it to lose weight :p
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    edited November 2016
    Options

True, but I think the problem is that there are a lot of people that aren't look at using it for it's intended purpose. Or don't understand it's purpose. The OP, for example, sure looks like they are just using it to lose weight, not to find an allergy or other food issue. At least, that's not how I read her post.

From the OP's first post ' Hoping to lose about 15 pounds in my journey total', so yeah, she's trying to use it to lose weight :p

Yes but she also says a few times that she is doing it because of her sugar cravings, something Whole30 is supposed to help with.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I tried to do one once before but only lasted about 2 weeks lol. I admit I do like the paleo way of eating for the most part and try to follow it in general, so I try to eat mostly vegetables, quality meat and healthy fats. I find for me it really helps in terms satiety, energy and maintaining my goal weight easily.
    I do however still eat rice, bread, beans, dairy etc relatively regularly with no issues.
    I think the whole 30 guidelines can be way too strict, and not necessary for general health and weight loss unless you have allergies or a medical condition.
    If you having trouble craving sugar perhaps you could try increasing your protein and fat intake at meal times and try to not deprive yourself too much! Make sure your calorie limit isn't too low either
  • 232good
    Options
    I'll be starting this next week, not for me, but for my husband. He's doing it to both try to find out what's causing stomach pains but he also, like me, enjoys a challenge. I know people cringe (or twitch) at the word diet or common phrases used in diet plans, but sometimes people just need a kick start.

OP, how do you feel on Day 6 (today)?

Sorry I didn't get back to you! Yesterday I felt bloated and had a headache and probably was the toughest day so far. Today I feel good! I just want a cupcake though. But still sticking it out. I've lost 4 pounds in one week, and I'm never starving because I fill up on nutrient food and eat the right amount of calories.
  • 232good
    Options

Eating healthy usually leads to weight loss :-)
  • 232good
    Options

I don't agree with you. I'm eating a lot and a lot of healthy food, and feel this will be easy to sustain because I'm learning a lot about what makes me full with healthy foods and feel good
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

No it doesn't, eating at a calorie deficit causes weight loss. You can definitely gain weight eating 'healthy' (which is a very subjective term), if you're eating over your maintenance level calories. That's why you'll see frequent posts from frustrated people who aren't losing weight, even though they're eating 'clean/healthy '.
  • 232good
    Options

No it doesn't, eating at a calorie deficit causes weight loss. You can definitely gain weight eating 'healthy' (which is a very subjective term), if you're eating over your maintenance level calories. That's why you'll see frequent posts from frustrated people who aren't losing weight, even though they're eating 'clean/healthy '.

That's why I said usually :) especially when coming off of a unhealthy eating habit. Regardless, I wrote this post for support and for anyone whose had experience, not to dissect my reasoning for doing it
  • 232good
    Options
    *An unhealthy eating habit
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Options
    Day 2 for me and so far, easy peasy. But it's not the week I'm worried about, it's weekends when I almost always imbibe with wine or beer and one night is usually treat night. Gotta change those habits!
  • karinalynnes
    karinalynnes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    232good kind of floored by all these negative comments...I realize this post was from a long time ago, but for the record I've successfully completed multiple Whole30's and have always found them incredibly helpful at removing the "sugar dragon" cravings (which get completely out of control sometimes), finding foods that don't sit right with me (like gluten, etc.) and overall finding a healthier relationship with food. I feel a million times better - both physically and mentally - every time I complete one. Sure, some times I've failed and haven't made it the 30 days, but even then since I've done the full ones with complete reintroductions before it wasn't a big deal. For me, it's a very healthy intervention and helps reset my eating habits when they've gotten too far out of control. Oh, and I usually lose about 10 lbs, so that's nice too...The only major downside I'd say is that I did a few while breastfeeding and sometimes it dropped my supply so much I had to stop, but I had low supply to begin with.