What do you do for your lower abdominals?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Lizarking wrote: »
    Hanging leg raises.

I do these but not in a straight hang, on that machine where you rest your forearms so you're more supported, I assume this doesn't impact on ab engagement but will minimise shoulder / back involvement?

makes it a lot easier. I like hanging because it also works your grip quite well. Plus hte stretch feels great after deadlifts/ohp.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hanging leg raises.

I do these but not in a straight hang, on that machine where you rest your forearms so you're more supported, I assume this doesn't impact on ab engagement but will minimise shoulder / back involvement?

makes it a lot easier. I like hanging because it also works your grip quite well. Plus hte stretch feels great after deadlifts/ohp.

I assume the instability makes it more difficult. Unfortunately current tendonitis won't allow ...h'oh well one day
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Leg scissors
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I do mostly planks and crunches. Hanging leg raises about 3x a week, but daily I do crunches and as many planks as I can stand.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    No-one mentioned that anatomically speaking "lower" abs aren't a thing. Your core/abdominals are engaged or they aren't. Most compound movements need you to engage the core for stability. In fact, anything that involves balance of any sort requires core engagement.

I don't do a whole lot of core isolation work, it's dullsville to me but a few crunch and plank variations keep me in check!
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    No-one mentioned that anatomically speaking "lower" abs aren't a thing. Your core/abdominals are engaged or they aren't.

I don't do a whole lot of core isolation work, it's dullsville to me but a few crunch and plank variations keep me in check!

If that were true leg scissors would produce the same results as crunches. When you do them you can clearly feel that crunches are working the upper abs more, and leg scissors are working the lower abs much more. Planks work both since they lever your legs and upper body off the ground.
    I've been neglecting the abs too. I figure as long as they look alright, that's enough. I remember when I went to this boxing gym and sat in on a core class this pot- bellied guy was running. I had a six- pack. Anyways, I couldn't keep up with him, and if we got into the ring I'm sure he would have torn my body up, and not had much trouble dealing with my body shots. A strong core is probably better to have than strong arms.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    No-one mentioned that anatomically speaking "lower" abs aren't a thing.

interesting, i just looked it up. seems like the sub-bellybutton area is mostly aponeurosis, whatever that is. now i have to go off and google that too.

http://www.medicalook.com/human_anatomy/organs/Abdominal_muscles.html
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    renae161 wrote: »
    What exercises do you do for your lower abdomen?

Not much.

But when I do, hanging leg raises.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Isometric ab exercises, weighted leg raises, reverse crunches and Nauli kriya (contractions).

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm doing a lot of weighted walks right now with kettlebells.

and deadbugs. i love me some deadbugs . . . in that 'not' kind of way.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Hanging leg raises, decline sit-ups and rope crunches to develop the muscles.
    A calorie deficit to reveal them.
  • healthywill
    healthywill Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Like many others in this thread I like the hanging leg raises. Of course it should be mixed up with other exercises as well, but it really hits the lower abs (For me at least)
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Hanging leg raises.

I do these too but I never really feel it in my abs. I started out only could do 2...I'm up to 13 which is probably why I don't feel anything...not able to do enough to make a difference. Getting there :)
  • Brittanypomales
    Brittanypomales Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a great ab DVD I love T25's Ab Intervals. I feel it in my abs more than any other ab video I have ever done. (Jillian, P90x, P90x3)
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Food Prep general weight lifting split with proper form