No libido & thinning hair

Options
Stats: Male, 20, 6'0, 134 lbs.

First off, yes I'm aware I'm at an underweight BMI.

Lost around 50-60 lbs in 3 months by eating below 1,000 calories per day and intense cardio 7 days a week.

During this time, I've noticed that my hair has been thinning and my sex drive has completely gone away. I figured it was because my body was malnourished and that it would return once I started eating healthy amounts again. However, over the last month or so I've been eating around 2200-2400 calories a day and it still has not returned. I'm thinking maybe it's because I'm underweight? If this is the case, do I need to put on more fat or should I try to gain more weight in muscle mass with strength training? Also is there a chance I've done any permanent damage to my body?

Replies

• Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    I think it might be permanent but I'm not an MD
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Check in with your doctor. How much fat are you getting in your daily diet? Fats are important for hormonal functioning. Sounds like you messed that up. It could certainly be related to being underweight, and most likely related to malnourishment. It can take months to correct those imbalances.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Fast weight loss and malnutrition is gonna do that to you. It will take more than a month to recover.

I suggest you keep an eye on getting in adequate fat and protein, as well as appropriate calories for your body.

If it doesn't come back within a few more months of eating appropriately, see a doctor.
  • drivennightrunner87
    drivennightrunner87 Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Congrats on the loss/tenacity...there r plenty of underweight men with full heads of hair. i highly doubt you've done permanent damage to your body. U were just FED up...which is perfectly understandable. I was too! FAT has its ways, mostly negative...Continue eating at a reasonable amount (make sure you're getting enough iron and protein), incorporate a high quality multi-vitamin + (at least) 3000-5000 mcg of biotin everyday and try minoxidil foam (rub it into your scalp every night)...hopefully if your issue isn't genetic, your hair will thicken up again...

Also, not sure about the lack of sex drive. I'm especially sexual when I restrict cals/liquid fast/over-exercise...maybe because i feel a lot cleaner/less polluted
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It might not be permanent, but it may take quite a while for you to fully recover. In the grand scheme of things, a month is a very short space of time. I would also recommend talking to your doc.
  • drivennightrunner87
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Congrats on the loss/tenacity...there r plenty of underweight men with full heads of hair. i highly doubt you've done permanent damage to your body. U were just FED up...which is perfectly understandable. I was too! FAT has its ways, mostly negative...Continue eating at a reasonable amount (make sure you're getting enough iron and protein), incorporate a high quality multi-vitamin + (at least) 3000-5000 mcg of biotin everyday and try minoxidil foam (rub it into your scalp every night)...hopefully if your issue isn't genetic, your hair will thicken up again...

Also, not sure about the lack of sex drive. I'm especially sexual when I restrict cals/liquid fast/over-exercise...maybe because i feel a lot cleaner/less polluted

You don't congratulate someone for dropping from a healthy weight to an unhealthy weight by consuming a dangerously low level of calories for an extended period, you commiserate

The man needs a work up and a decent nutritional plan

St his starting weight his BMR was 2000 calories, his TDEE even at moderately active probably closer to 3000

He consumed well below nutritional minimums for 12 weeks losing approximately 5 lbs week demonstrating a daily defecit of 2500 calories

That is potentially damaging ...that has been specifically damaging

He needs to replenish his body, gain some weight and see a doctor

You don't congratulate someone for dropping from a healthy weight to an unhealthy weight by consuming a dangerously low level of calories for an extended period, you commiserate

St his starting weight his BMR was 2000 calories, his TDEE even at moderately active probably closer to 3000

He consumed well below nutritional minimums for 12 weeks losing approximately 5 lbs week demonstrating a daily defecit of 2500 calories

Well...i don't see a BMI in the low 18's that underweight tho (18.5 is still considered normal actually)...now if he was really, really underweight/continued to lose weight, it would be a cause for concern as people can experience heavy symptoms like heart problems and getting hospitalized...i honestly don't see anything wrong with maintaining an 18ish BMI by eating an appropriate amount--if that's something u want....
  • drivennightrunner87
    Options

Well...i don't see a BMI in the low 18's that underweight tho (18.5 is still considered normal actually)...now if he was really, really underweight/continued to lose weight, it would be a cause for concern as people can experience heavy symptoms like heart problems and getting hospitalized...i honestly don't see anything wrong with maintaining an 18ish BMI by eating an appropriate amount--if that's something u want....

Yeah, no

It is underweight ...there are more statistically significant risks to health being slightly under minimum BMI than over it on a macro population level

but more importantly the rate of loss is damaging ...these are just his external and obvious symptoms ..he does not know how his internal organs have been affected, loss of muscle (heart is muscle yaknow), kidneys, gallstones etc

Hence the see a doctor advice

Dude, u need to srsly chillax and not throw things on the table that are non-issues...to be fair, he started at an overweight bmi and upped his calories to 2000+ after just 3 months... i personally have lost weight a little faster than usual and know a few that have too and we are fine.... if he's experiencing serious internal problems (which i highly doubt), i would NEVER have congratulated him... he lost about 15-20lbs a month temporarily, and then stopped and upped his cals to a reasonable amount which i encouraged
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Yikes you have lost way too much. You need to go to the doctor. Are you sure you haven't developed an eating disorder?
  • drivennightrunner87
    drivennightrunner87 Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Yeah, no

It is underweight ...there are more statistically significant risks to health being slightly under minimum BMI than over it on a macro population level

but more importantly the rate of loss is damaging ...these are just his external and obvious symptoms ..he does not know how his internal organs have been affected, loss of muscle (heart is muscle yaknow), kidneys, gallstones etc

Hence the see a doctor advice

Dude, u need to srsly chillax and not throw things on the table that are non-issues...to be fair, he started at an overweight bmi and upped his calories to 2000+ after just 3 months... i personally have lost weight a little faster than usual and know a few that have too and we are fine.... if he's experiencing serious internal problems (which i highly doubt), i would NEVER have congratulated him... he lost about 15-20lbs a month temporarily, and then stopped and upped his cals to a reasonable amount which i encouraged

Please don't tell me to "chillax" when you are posting from a position of lack of knowledge and congratulating someone on a damaging weight loss programme.

Please just do some reading about nutritional minimums and studies on the side effects of rapid weight loss ..try starting with the initial post in this thread. The OP is experiencing some fairly significant externally obvious symptoms of an ill advised rapid weight loss

You can doubt what you want, but you don't know, and neither do I, if he is experiencing any other issues that are currently asymptomatic which is why the advice to see a medic who can run tests and speak to him face to face

You came onto this thread and congratulated him for weight loss rather than responding to his concerns. Weight loss is not the be all and end all, a scale drop is not a great thing in and of itself. Getting healthier is!

^ Well said.

OP is suffering significant symptoms from an extremely unsafe (and medically unsupervised) VLCD. There may or may not be further damage, that would be an issue for a medical professional to address. Saying "attaboy" and telling him to shampoo and take a multivitamin and some biotin is bad advice bordering on reckless.

Of course taking vitamins, using a thickening shampoo, etc. is pointless when you're undereating...but he said he wasn't.. but maybe what i did write was reckless and i should read/learn more... i did lose weight fast and do eat well now and was in the clear regarding blood work/check ups the whole time....but maybe that's not the case for others and shouldn't of assumed that because things worked out for me, they'll work out for anyone else with a similar height/ also in their 20's
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I used to read various articles on artofmanliness.com about how to raise testosterone. In my experiences reading (and being a very randy male), eating more eggs, asserting dominance, lifting weights, eating more meat in general... these things have helped with the testosterone for muscle building and for libido. Honestly, I've never had a problem with a libido. I do notice that the more healthy foods I eat and the more frequently I exercise, the better my libido.

Eat some eggs, lift weights, and get that noodle rockin'!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I just read the rest of this thread, and I stick by my "eat more eggs" sentiment. Good for all kinds of things, like thinning hair, low BMI, severe egg-related deficiencies, and general egginess (coincidentally, also my WoW handle).
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I just read the rest of this thread, and I stick by my "eat more eggs" sentiment. Good for all kinds of things, like thinning hair, low BMI, severe egg-related deficiencies, and general egginess (coincidentally, also my WoW handle).

How are eggs going to help when the user refuses to eat more calories? They would
    Just be replacing other calories with eggs. How does that help?