I'm vegan and need help making a meal plan to lose 30 pounds

Options
i need some advice on losing weight dr wants me to lose 30 pounds, i'm vegan so i don't eat any animal products i also have pcos and Scoliosis so i can't do much exercise i walk 2.0 mph, at a slow pace to the top of my road and back mon-fri .i suck at making a meal plan can any advice will help me figure a idea out

Replies

• StephieGrace2210
    Options
    Hey - I'm vegan too (4 years and some) and I also have scoliosis (74 degrees
  • GothicCricket
    GothicCricket Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What kind of meal plan do you
  • GothicCricket
    GothicCricket Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Okay I'll try that
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Don't know much about pcos and Scoliosis so not sure what your current diet would look like but I suggest that "Vegan" is too general a description. A lb of deep fried chips/fries smothered in ketchup are vegan but so is a lb of baked potato smothered in a cooked pure whole chopped tomato sauce. The first has way more calories than the second one. A big bowl of any Cap’N Crunch cereal (they are all vegan except for Sprinkle Doughnut Crunch) is nowhere near as healthy for you, or as filling, as the same calorie intake from a bowl of pure rolled oats.

If your aim is healthy weight loss and you are eating processed foods then try to eat more whole plant foods, especially the low calorie density, high fibre ones like most veggies that will fill you up better for a much lower calorie count. If you are using or adding oils (very high calorie density, not filling/satiating), then reduce, or better still cut them out completely if your aim is healthy weight loss. Try to eat raw, steam, bake, broil, boil, or even grill, etc. rather rather than using any oil shallow or worse, deep, fry. If you do need to "fry" then there are alternatives to using oil. Put onions in first as they release liquid. Or add a little water to the pan rather than oil and "pan fry with water" (this is not a traditional cooking method so there is no culinary method name I can find). Or use some home made veggie stock (water you previously cooked your veggies in) if you want to add some extra nutrition over the plain water when doing this.

Oh, and if the aim is weight loss then don't add oil or oily fatty dressings to salads etc. or fatty sugary salty condiments to other foods. Try alternatives like vinegar, juice of a lemon/lime, herbs (basil, thyme, corriander, etc), and (preferably non-salt added) spices like cinnamon, paprika, chilli powder, etc to add flavour(s) instead. Sriracha sauce is a very popular almost zero calorie alternative to ketchup is you don't mind your condiments a bit spicey.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    FitterBody wrote: »
    If you are using or adding oils (very high calorie density, not filling/satiating), then reduce, or better still cut them out completely if your aim is healthy weight loss.

While oils are indeed calorie dense, it's important to get some healthy fats in any diet. Usually aim for at least 0.4 grams of fat per pound of lean body mass. (If you don't know your lean body mass, 0.4 g fat per pound total weight won't hurt.)

As for satiety, that's very personal. I don't get much satiety from fats either, but the LCHF crowd (low carb; high fat) certainly do. Many of them get >60% of their calories from fat and are able to lose weight just fine.
  • FitterBody
    Options
    You get all your essential fats from whole foods without adding or cooking with oils. People have survived for centuries quite healthily before refined bottled oils were produced by getting all their essential oils from whole foods. If the object is to lose weight in the most efficient quickest healthiest way then do not eat or use added oils or fats.

• FitterBody
    Options
    LCHF can lose weight. Whether they can keep it off long term or not is questionable at best as high fat diets are not good for your heart, or other deseases like diabetes. People can just as easily, and more healthily, lose and maintain a lowerbody weight on HCLF diets IF they eat the right carbs, ie whole food plant based carbs.

The problem is people do not realise a carb is not a carb. Processed refined carbs should also be avoided as most are also in the inhealthy basket.

Stick to whole plant based carbs and you can just as easily, and more healthily, lose weight when eating up to an 80% carbs diet.

Weight loss is mostly about calorie count, but health is more reliant on what foods those calories come from and the nutrient, mineral, and vitamin content of those foods. Fresh whole plant based foods have significantly more nutrients, minerals, and vitamins to keep you healthy than fats and oils which have almost zero. Why lose weight slower by eating fat and oil when you can do it faster and healthier by eating plant based carbs?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit! Eat what you want in measured portions that fit your calorie goal.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit! Eat what you want in measured portions that fit your calorie goal.

This. The only thing that matters for weight loss is calories. Enter your info into MFP and then follow the calorie recommendation it gives you (also re-run it every 5lbs lost because your calorie allotment goes down as you lose weight). No need to make drastic changes to what you're eating, just start eating at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals and you'll lose the weight.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Happy Herbivore has vegan meal plans (paid tho). I had a friend doing it and sometimes she shared the weekly plans. You do all the food prep in a few hours for the week (except assembling/ combining). I liked the stuff- the base is 1200/day- you can add more to reach higher cals. Once you do some you will kind of get the hang and adapt your own. Just an idea.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This site will give you some new recipe ideas..........

https://www.eatthismuch.com/

You can choose a vegan option.