Porridge ideas....?

Options
IonaEllenRose
IonaEllenRose Posts: 24 Member
Hi,
I love porridge for breakfast but would love some ideas of topping to go with it?

Replies

• catriona6308
    catriona6308 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Queens sugar free maple syrup/chocolate drops/blueberries. You could mix your oats with yoghurt put it in the fridge overnight then top with berries
  • Flaming25
    Flaming25 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Not sure how you make it but I make mine with Almond Milk (unsweetened), gives it a slightly different flavour (not in a bad way)
  • Ambroziah
    Ambroziah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I put a few of dried raisins and sultanas to give a little sweetness
  • lucylou688
    lucylou688 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Porridge is a great base for flavours. I tend to cook mine with water and then add some of the following with a splash of milk:

Grated apple and cinnamon
    Sliced banana and nutmeg
    Blueberries and almonds
    Spoon of homemade fruit jam
    Mix of seeds and spoon of honey
    Strawberries and a shake of cocoa powder

Basically any combination of fruit and/or nuts/seeds is a good place to start.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I like to put banana in there while it is cooking and stir like heck to break it up. Add walnuts & a bit of cinnamon to make banana bread oatmeal

Add coconuts & chocolate chips for an almond joy like experience

I make a chunky apple sauce by peeling & slicing apple and cooking it. Then, I add the oats and cook them

Make the oatmeal w/ 1/3 milk & 2/3 water and they come out super creamy.

throw some peanut butter on the top.

maple syrup, dried fruits, nuts all are yum
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    apples and cinnamon
  • rachelblesso
    rachelblesso Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Light cinnamon sugar, fresh blueberries, a little bit of honey, brown sugar mixed in. Not the healthiest haha but all tasty options.
  • snowman1_23
    snowman1_23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to sweeten it up without adding processed stuff, wild Boreal blueberries are amazingly sweet. A couple tablespoons, still frozen will make you think you're having dessert. They are way sweeter than the usual blueberries, and about the size of a currant.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    My breakfast this morning was savoury porridge - oatmeal and milk, grated carrot, cooked together. Then I add grated zucchini, diced capsicum, grated cheese, cook for a minute or two then stir in an egg. It's also good with the egg cooked separately and added on top, but I can't be bothered dirtying another pan in the morning.

You might also like to look at congee toppings (rice porridge) - things like chilli (dried or fresh), fresh coriander, boiled egg, slices spring onions, boiled peanuts (I usually only find them a few asian hotels), soy sauce, sesame oil etc.

Google savoury porridge recipes and you'll see a whole new world open up, porridge doesn't have to be sweet!
  • bumblebot
    bumblebot Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Porridge is not the best breakfast - you should consider adding protein and fats!

Personally, I add 30g soy/whey protein powder to 40g of oats, 40g of raspberries/blueberries. Heat up with water. Once warmed through, I add 150g greek 0% fat yoghurt and a swirl of peanut butter. The end result is lovely, creamy, sweet, and good for you!
  • bumblebot
    bumblebot Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Porridge is not the best breakfast - you should consider adding protein and fats!

Personally, I add 30g soy/whey protein powder to 40g of oats, 40g of raspberries/blueberries. Heat up with water. Once warmed through, I add 150g greek 0% fat yoghurt and a swirl of peanut butter. The end result is lovely, creamy, sweet, and good for you!

Macros for the above are around:

350 cals
    45g protein
    31g carbs
    2-8g fat (depending on how much peanut butter you add!)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I make my own muesli/porridge base made with a mix of porridge oats, rolled oats, barley flakes, rye flakes (basically any kind of grain flake I can find and afford), some dried fruit (cranberries, sultanas, raisins etc) pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, linseed etc.

That's my starting material. It's crunchy enough I can have it fresh as a cereal/muesli in the warmer months, and to this I might add a banana plus some yoghurt, creme fraiche and cottage cheese (this last takes a bit of getting used to but I'm protein mad in the morning). And maybe a dollop of honey (I blame some German guy on a boat in the Med for introducing me to this)

If I want it warm, I might soak it overnight in water with some frozen berries or homemade applesauce (equal volume) then add a touch of milk and put in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Then I add the yoghurt/cottage cheese mix etc.

The possibilities are endless, although I am intrigued by the savoury porridge listed above.

• IonaEllenRose
    IonaEllenRose Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone.
    I haven't thought (or even knew) that foods like carrot, cottage cheese, peanut butter etc would go with porridge. I am definitely going to try these out.
    I normally either have jam or apple & cinnamon so having the toppings you have all suggested is going to be different (in a good way lol)

Thanks again :)