Weekend binge

Options
Hi all, my problem is the weekend. As soon as Friday night starts my mind seem to lose it and start eating everything I am restricting during the week. Then Monday comes and I am exactly the same
Weight or slightly more week on week.
Can anyone offer any advise on how to train the mind to continue with a healthy diet during the weekend ?
TIA

Replies

• mccormf1
    mccormf1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Your not alone. The weekend comes and I'm sure most people want to go bananas just try to keep busy at first and when the night winds down make something good that tastes good. If there's nothing to keep you busy just stay strong it's like any other addiction(a little time and you don't crave it as much)
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    First: There are no bad foods.
    Second: There are still no bad foods.
    Third: Budget a little of your favorites each day. If you like snickers eat a snicker's mini bar for example.
    Fourth: Don't cut too much out, if you are then that may explain your behavior.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Alternative to the above; create a big enough deficit Monday - Friday to compensate for the weekend.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem with the weekends. Some are better than others. I am learning to reel myself in and not go completely off the rails. I'm also trying to "save" some of my calories for during the week for the weekend so it's not too bad. I get it though...the struggle is real!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Is it all day that you are off the rails? I am a bit more lax on the weekends as most of us can be. I will eat well for breakfast and lunch, but dinner and maybe a drink (or two, maybe 3) one night. I compensate by drinking plenty of water and eating better during the week.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Calorie intake can be calculated over a week. Have a plan that involves more eating at the weekend and less in the week. It is the plan that matters. :) It isn't a binge if you arranged it and if it isn't a binge, you are less likely to go really mad. Weigh yourself on a Wednesday rather than a Monday - in case salt in the weekend eating is higher/lower than is true for the week overall.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Is it all day that you are off the rails? I am a bit more lax on the weekends as most of us can be. I will eat well for breakfast and lunch, but dinner and maybe a drink (or two, maybe 3) one night. I compensate by drinking plenty of water and eating better during the week.

For me, it usually starts Friday night with "Oh hey it's Friday..Let have a drink" and a drink can turn into many many drinks as it did this weekend. Then on Saturday, I'm hungover and want to eat crap...pizza, burgers, fries...hangover food.

It's the booze, I know that's what sends me into a tailspin.
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Normally on weekends I'll pick one meal out of the day when I'll treat myself. So I'll eat clean for most of the day and then maybe for dinner I'll treat myself to some pizza or something. I don't completely cut out the "bad foods" that i shouldn't be eating, but I try eat them in moderation without going overboard with it.
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Do you still log on the weekends? People have given great advice. I finally got tired of undoing all my hard work during the week and it made me cook during the weekend and just making decisions to pack food or eat at home. It's honestly all about moderation and not making yourself totally miserable. If you make yourself miserable it won't last.
  • Acrosno
    Acrosno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know I might get a lot of flack for this but my strategy is to weigh daily.

Mentally I know it's just water weight from excess alcohol and sodium but seeing the scale go up after a "bad" day makes me think twice the next time I'm offered a third drink or my friends order greasy pub food...
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    For me, it usually starts Friday night with "Oh hey it's Friday..Let have a drink" and a drink can turn into many many drinks as it did this weekend. Then on Saturday, I'm hungover and want to eat crap...pizza, burgers, fries...hangover food.

It's the booze, I know that's what sends me into a tailspin.

If you are unable to have one drink on a Friday night, without it turning into many drinks, you should ask yourself if you are ready or willing to admit that the alcohol is the problem; then either A) stop drinking until you achieve the weight loss goals you are seeking, or B) if you can't stop drinking on your own, seek help - AA, counseling, etc.

I was down that road many moons ago, in my 20s and 30s; I know...