Has anyone lost on one diet and maintained...

Options
leanjogreen18
leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
edited October 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
on another?

I suspect that successful maintainers eat exactly how they ate when losing only a few 100 more calories. Am I correct?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My diet (as in food and drink choices) stayed virtually the same but my eating patterns changed.
    I did 5:2 fasting to lose weight, so the 5 days were already at maintenance.
    When losing weight I cut down some of the "fun" calories from things such as alcohol and snacks but never excluded anything.

I regarded my overall diet as healthy and certainly enjoyable so didn't see the need to make radical changes, just a temporary calorie cut. No so called lifestyle change for me, just a period of dieting.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I have dieted down using typical "bro" foods (egg whites, chicken, rice, veg) with not much variation but maintain and bulk on anything using IIFYM principals.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The only diet I followed was the one where I ate what I wanted but less of it carefully tracking Cals In versus Cals out. During the process I learned a bunch about portion sizes, etc... which (so far) has accommodated a successful "maintenance" period for about 1 year after thus far.
  • marlysgirl
    marlysgirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    HGC to South Beach Diet
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I'm not eating the same in maintenance. Since I have a lot more calories I have added fats I didn't eat daily and now I can eat more fruit.

I've started walking daily for excersize so accounting for the excersize calories its a substantial addition.
    I'm enjoying eating more and feeling satisfied with the amounts.

So far so good.

• dbashby
    dbashby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You are correct for the most part people that maintain their weight loss generally eat the same foods that got them there with a little bit extra as allowed. This is why they say its lifestyle change not a diet. Most people who successfully lose weight in the first place have done so be eating the same foods repeatedly anyway. This lends itself to success because you know the calorie count in those foods and the desire to overeat the same foods over and over again is not as high as when you eat a variety of foods.
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For me personally I hate the word "diet". It's a lifestyle change. Of the plans that are out there, the one that puzzles me the most is these 30 day plans....so what do you do after 30 days?
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Me! I tend to try all sorts of things when losing weight because I get bored easily. I ate almost no processed carbs, fast food and lowered my dessert intake. Now that I am maintaining it varies week by week. In general I eat what I want, but if my weight starts to creep up I go back to lower carbs and cut out fast food, snacks and dessert. I hate counting calories so it is easier for me that way.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    CI<CO to lose
    CI=CO to maintain
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I don't do diets. I lead a very nutritional lifestyle. No, I'm not vegetarian. But I found this lifestyle to be one I can do long term. My dad did the same thing 39 years ago, lost 75 lbs. and has maintained that weight ever since.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    January 1st 2016 starting weight 288 currant way 206. During my weight loss process I basically ate whatever I wanted it's just a matter of cico. Everybody has their own opinion on what you should eat but it's something that you should be comfortable with and incorporated into your everyday lifestyle. You don't want to go deprive yourself of anything because it's just going to lead you to failure. Once you start to maintain it's just a matter of learning and modifying your calories. During my weight-loss journey and now and maintenance I still eat pizza occasional Wendy's hamburger and have a beer on the beach
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If WW counts as a diet, I lost 45 lbs and I'm maintaining for 7 years :smile:
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    on another?

I suspect that successful maintainers eat exactly how they ate when losing only a few 100 more calories. Am I correct?

Sort of. I did alternate day IF for my weight loss phase (JUDDD). In a nutshell I rotated between very low calorie days (under 500c) and then maintenance level calorie days. Then as I came off of the weight loss phase I transitioned to 5:2IF (2 low days/5 maintenance days each week). And now 3 or 4 years into maintenance I do a different version of calorie cycling (which is really all JUDDD is)-I eat less calories during the week and then higher calories during the weekends. I also throw in a few days of 16:8IF each week too, which helps control calorie intake without me even having to think about it.

Throughout all of it I've continued to eat the foods I like and I haven't cut anything out or made drastic changes to my food choices.
  • Shy_1114
    Shy_1114 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight (the first 100 pounds or so) on Atkins. I lost the last 54 on just eating regular foods in moderation. I've kept the majority of the 154 off for about 8 years with fairly "normal" eating. I'm working on l losing 20 pounds of pregnancy weight right now, and I'm doing the moderation thing again. I was thinking about doing Atkins again, but I am breastfeeding and I'm not sure if being in ketosis is something that would mess with that.