lifting after surgery?

Options
I had a baby in September and had to get my gallbladder removed a week ago. I was trying to get in shape before I got pregnant and had just started lifting as well. My doctor has me on a weight restriction for a couple more weeks but how should I proceed after so I don't hurt myself.

Replies

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    My doctor has me on a weight restriction for a couple more weeks but how should I proceed after so I don't hurt myself.

Your doctor should provide you with a regimen to slowly ease into exercise. If not, get a referral to a physical therapist that can help. Post-op recovery should definitely be something discussed with a medical professional.

• PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Recover you don't need to rush back to lifting you won't unravel.
  • meepandbaby
    meepandbaby Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ok I'll ask on my next appointment for a plan
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Ok I'll ask on my next appointment for a plan

Definitely the best plan. Recovery can be so different from one person to the next so best to get guidance from a professional who knows you and can give you the best advise. Good luck :)

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Wait until your doctor clears you. It's a difference of only a few weeks. It does take 4-6 weeks for all the internal structures to completely, even with laparoscopic surgery. Even though you feel good overall, all the tissue might not be healed. You don't want to risk an internal rupture.

When you restart, start light and work your way back up to where you were.
  • Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I only had minor surgery and got told I couldn't exercise because I needed to repair muscle not rip it... after about a month I was given the all clear to exercise.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Anytime I've had surgery (five so far, and innumerable outpatient procedures) I've always asked, "What can I do?" when given a list of restrictions; try to narrow down what the doc's reasoning is for "no X for Y weeks."