Slimming World didn't work so back to MFP help advice please?

Options
Hi,

I was a MFP member for over a year and lost over 1st - I have binge eating disorder so it's a slow process losing weight - however I joined slimming world as I had heard lots of great feedbacks. It didn't work for me so I have come back to MFP however nearly every day in my diary doesn't go over 1000cals even though i will be having healthy foods example -
Breakfast - Porridge with topping (jam/honey etc)
Lunch - Pasta or soup
Dinner - Jacket potatoe, beans & salad.
Then I snack on say toast or cereal.

The past few days I have been binge eating so I have been going well over my recommended amount but if I am having a good (no binge eating) day then I am struggle to get over 1000 never mind my goal 1500cals. I am kind of stuck in Slimming Worlds ways aswell instead of calories

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Make sure you hit your calorie goal every day. It's most likely (certainly) the undereating that triggers the bingeing. It's not a good day when you aren't eating enough. Yes, you can eat more. You eat a lot more when you binge.

There are no healthy foods - there are more or less healthy diets. Eat more fat and protein. Are you a vegetarian? If so, you need to pay extra attention to your diet.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    your diet seems to be rather high in carbs - add some fat and more protein to up your cals.

Peanut butter in your porridge, tuna on your jacket potato, snack on cheese or boiled eggs
  • skellymama1
    skellymama1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You need to bulk out your meals with more veg/salad. For me the more carbs I eat the more carbs I grave, same with sugar. Are you prepping, cooking your own food? If you are relying on packaged foods they are loaded with sugar, salt and a pile of other nasties. Fresh healthy foods is the only way to get the cravings and bingeing under control.
    In my opinion.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You need to bulk out your meals with more veg/salad. For me the more carbs I eat the more carbs I grave, same with sugar.

Confused.
  • skellymama1
    Options
    @confused about what??
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    @confused about what??

veggies are carb heavy, so what you said doesn't make sense.
  • skellymama1
    Options
    @confused about what??

Not as carbon heavy as pasta and bread!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your intake?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    @confused about what??

Not as carb heavy as pasta and bread!

OP is having trouble MEETING calories goals. Low calorie days are likely making her binge. So "bulking" up meals with high volume/low calorie veggies isn't real helpful (IMO).

I agree with other posters - more protein & fats seem to be in order.
  • sharynmgeorge66
    sharynmgeorge66 Posts: 12 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    have you tried a ketogenic diet...low carb/ moderate protein/ high fat. I eat under 20 carbs a day and have lost 50 lbs in 5 months, I am off high blood pressure meds, and my allergy meds, and I feel great!!!

I agree more fat is where it is at!!!
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Really didn't like Slimming World either, felt like it was giving me a complex around all the 'healthy extra' stuff like milk and bread. Screw that. And "Syns," screw that idea too.

Cheese and eggs! And meat. And pasta. Big hearty stuff to bulk up your calories, and, hey, we don't do "Syns" (shudder) here so eat a biscuit or whatever and just count it in. No foods are bad foods.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    have you tried a ketogenic diet...low carb/ moderate protein/ high fat. I eat under 20 carbs a day and have lost 50 lbs in 5 months, I am off high blood pressure meds, and my allergy meds, and I feel great!!!

I agree more fat is where it is at!!!

OP - this doesn't work for everybody and can lead to binging behavior, which is exactly what you're trying to avoid. Unless you're committed to staying away from carbs for the long haul (forever?) then it's better to work on getting a good balance with all the macros.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    What you've listed is carb heavy and I do wonder if you're accurately counting those by weighing them because your portions would have to be small to eat cereal and pasta and bread and potatoes and beans in one day and still be under 1000 calories.