Armpit Rash

Options
Hello everyone,

Ever since I am trying to lose weight and working out, I got this very bad rash in both of my armpits. I have been on a bunch of ointments (from my dermatologist) since and they are making things worse. What happens is that I put the ointment on for a couple days, it starts to get better and then I start working out again (I mostly do ellipticals and strength training) and it gets worse than before.

Does any have any suggestions on what I should do? I asked my dermatologist and they tell me that I can keep working out as normal but it makes it worse. What else can I do to burn calories? I have bad knees so I can't walk too much. I try to get 5000 steps a day but it only makes matters worst for my armpits especially if I have to walk outside (Texas heat) and if I try to do it on a treadmill my knees pain too much.

Please help!

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    This could be completely unrelated to your problem, but have you tried changing deodorant? I'm allergic to most of them, and I get a burning rash when I use most brands. I did find one that works for me (nothing with gel in it for sure).
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Any possibility it's from your deodorant? My boyfriend will sometimes get a rash under his arms during the summer or really anytime that he sweats a lot and we figured out it was the type of deodorant he was using. Something with the alcohol in it mixed with the sweat was causing this. He switched, hasn't had a problem since.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    How about trying Body Glide?

https://www.bodyglide.com/

As you lose weight hopefully the problem will lessen. I use Body Glide for longer runs as I have no thigh gap and like to run in shorts. Chafing is a real problem.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    us1415 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Ever since I am trying to lose weight and working out, I got this very bad rash in both of my armpits. I have been on a bunch of ointments (from my dermatologist) since and they are making things worse. What happens is that I put the ointment on for a couple days, it starts to get better and then I start working out again (I mostly do ellipticals and strength training) and it gets worse than before.

Does any have any suggestions on what I should do? I asked my dermatologist and they tell me that I can keep working out as normal but it makes it worse. What else can I do to burn calories? I have bad knees so I can't walk too much. I try to get 5000 steps a day but it only makes matters worst for my armpits especially if I have to walk outside (Texas heat) and if I try to do it on a treadmill my knees pain too much.

Please help!

I get a rash like that. For me it's a combination of the following:

1) A clinical antiperspirant that irritates and dries out the skin, and
    2) Physical abrasion from running - pumping arms and very salty sweat means means I'm basically giving myself a vigorous and very long salt scrub on an already tender area.

For me, fixing it is all about prevention. Every night I make sure every scrap of antiperspirant is gone with an oil cleanser followed by soap and water. I found soap and water alone were not doing the trick. Then I moisturize generously. I was using bag balm because it worked better than the other regular body moisturizers I had, but it's sticky and doesn't absorb. It's not really designed to, it's supposed to shield the skin which it does very well. I've recently gotten a jar of Infinite Aloe (scentless) and it is much nicer. Moisturizes well, absorbs quickly, not stinky and not sticky. A couple of days to a week of this with no further irritation and the rash goes away. If I continue with this regimen I can keep it away indefinitely.

However, if I run and already have a rash, then I make sure to use bag balm on my armpits before I go to eliminate friction and avoid making it worse. Not going to lie, exercising with sticky armpits is not fun, but it's better than armpits that feel like they are on fire.
  • us1415
    us1415 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    This could be completely unrelated to your problem, but have you tried changing deodorant? I'm allergic to most of them, and I get a burning rash when I use most brands. I did find one that works for me (nothing with gel in it for sure).

Thanks! I thought of this and went through quite a few of the deodorants. Right now I am using Tom's which is causing least of the issues.
  • us1415
    Options

As you lose weight hopefully the problem will lessen. I use Body Glide for longer runs as I have no thigh gap and like to run in shorts. Chafing is a real problem.

Thank you! I will give this a try.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    How about a tight-fitting undershirt, with sleeves? The ones that are specifically for working out are great to keep skin from touching.

I also switched laundry detergent after years of using the same one. I had developed a sensitivity to it. New detergent, no rash.

Maybe also your bath soap?
  • us1415
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

I get a rash like that. For me it's a combination of the following:

1) A clinical antiperspirant that irritates and dries out the skin, and
    2) Physical abrasion from running - pumping arms and very salty sweat means means I'm basically giving myself a vigorous and very long salt scrub on an already tender area.

For me, fixing it is all about prevention. Every night I make sure every scrap of antiperspirant is gone with an oil cleanser followed by soap and water. I found soap and water alone were not doing the trick. Then I moisturize generously. I was using bag balm because it worked better than the other regular body moisturizers I had, but it's sticky and doesn't absorb. It's not really designed to, it's supposed to shield the skin which it does very well. I've recently gotten a jar of Infinite Aloe (scentless) and it is much nicer. Moisturizes well, absorbs quickly, not stinky and not sticky. A couple of days to a week of this with no further irritation and the rash goes away. If I continue with this regimen I can keep it away indefinitely.

However, if I run and already have a rash, then I make sure to use bag balm on my armpits before I go to eliminate friction and avoid making it worse. Not going to lie, exercising with sticky armpits is not fun, but it's better than armpits that feel like they are on fire.

I take 2 showers a day because of this issue and apply the ointment that got from my dermatologist after each of them. I do apply a thin layer of the ointment before I work out now but it still kills me with all the sweating.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I was going to recommend.
  • DaytonaTheHousecat
    Options
    Try using a body powder. Summers Eve makes body powder made out of corn starch and not talc , you should try it.
  • kkrober25
    kkrober25 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Until you get the rash resolved, you could try an exercise bike. I think that would help with friction since you wouldn't be moving your arms as much.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    A fitted exercise shirt would do wonders if the rash is caused by friction, just make sure not pull on the sleeves too much. I've also seen undershirts on the internet with armpit sweat pads built in if the rash is caused by the buildup of sweat itself or it reacting with the material or cleaning agents on your current exercise shirt. Not sure how wicking the material is though. If you aren't comfortable wearing a fitted shirt, you could wear your usual loose shirt over it.

It's best you lay off exercise for a short while until it's healed, and then take preventative measures. It's easier to prevent than to cure while the causing factors are still present. meanwhile, you could focus on watching your calorie intake without exercise.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    this happens to me if I change brands of antiperspirant. Also a tighter fitting tech fabric that snugs up into the armpits will help.

You could try another brand or as gross is this is shower before bed and do not put anything on get up go for a run or workout as soon as you get up and then immediately shower the sweat away.
  • BeastofBodmin
    BeastofBodmin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I find non-biological detergent helps a great deal.
  • us1415
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Please keep them coming. I have already ordered bodyglide and will see if there is a difference.
  • us1415
    Options
    Try using a body powder. Summers Eve makes body powder made out of corn starch and not talc , you should try it.

I use Zeasorb sometimes on my armpits since I use the same on my inner thighs. Have had thinning skin on my inner thighs for 5-6 years due to using too much steroid ointments.
  • us1415
    Options
    A fitted exercise shirt would do wonders if the rash is caused by friction, just make sure not pull on the sleeves too much. I've also seen undershirts on the internet with armpit sweat pads built in if the rash is caused by the buildup of sweat itself or it reacting with the material or cleaning agents on your current exercise shirt. Not sure how wicking the material is though. If you aren't comfortable wearing a fitted shirt, you could wear your usual loose shirt over it.

It's best you lay off exercise for a short while until it's healed, and then take preventative measures. It's easier to prevent than to cure while the causing factors are still present. meanwhile, you could focus on watching your calorie intake without exercise.

Thank you. I try laying off the exercise a bit but end up doing something since I cannot seem to be able to lower my intake and I need to lose a lot of weight.
  • us1415
    Options
    Hello all,

Just came back from the dermatologist and it seems like I have Intertrigo. They have given me a bunch of new creams to try. Does anyone have any ideas for me on how I can continue to workout and keep this at the minimum?
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    If you're sitting around watching TV, reading, or at night when you sleep, try raising your arms to let your armpits dry out. You could try taking a towel to wipe the sweat from your armpits as you workout and them immediately washing, drying out, and applying cream afterward.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Had to Google it to see, but that looks exactly like what I had. I must not have had any infection, though, because mine cleared up quickly when I followed the regimen I already detailed in my previous post.