Options
2»

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    lkeskih1 wrote: »
    Also how old are you?
    I'm 27. Thanks that's all good advice. I'm nervous about dropping calories, I've been reading thing that make me think I maybe my metabolism is set low because of dieting for multiple months.

Yeah I'm not a fan of going too low on calories either. Maybe you can keep those the same and just switch up the type of exercises you do and your macros ratios. I'm not an expert though, definitely do your own research.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    And if you are gaining weight your maintenance calories may be too high, you may actually be in a slight surplus. Try dropping your daily calorie goal by 100 calories and see if that stops the weight gain? Or you could keep calories the same but increase the intensity or amount of exercise. Try hiit cardio or plyometric exercises instead of the elliptical. Strength training/lifting weights is also really great for fat loss because it has an afterburn effect so you don't just burn calories as you're actively working out (like with cardio) but for hours later as well, and it takes calories to repair and build the muscle. Also having more lean muscle mass increases the metabolism because muscles require calories where as fat tissue does not. Don't worry about getting bulky either that's a myth. If anything having more muscle will make you look leaner even at the same body weight.

I find it hard to believe, given the information she has provided, that 1700 would be a surplus. I think it would be more likely she is eating more than 1700 due to logging issues. I would start there and not drop calories.

My main question is (and sorry if I missed it).....how long has the gain been going on? Because if this is just a short term thing, there are all kinds of reasons the scale may move up.

At 5'3" and 117lbs, my maintenance cals were mid 1400's (not including exercise).

OP is 5'4", 119lbs. Her maintenance cals sans exercise are not going to be much higher than that given the activity indicated by her step count. Probably around 1500. Now add some cardio. Let's say every day since OP says she does a workout video on her 'off' days. With all of that she's likely right at 1700 total IF she doesn't skip any days.

Question is, is OP actually eating 1700 gross, or is she eating 1700 net?

Also, is OP logging accurately? Because if her goal is right on target, that means slightly but consistently underestimating calories could result in slow weight gain.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Our stats are similar. I'm 31 y.o., 5'4.75" and 116 lbs. My advise would be to get started on a lifting program involving deadlifts, squats, bench, and overhead press and lift heavy enough that you can't get 12 reps in on your heaviest weight. I like 5/3/1. I have tracked my calories without trying to lose weight for several years now, before and during lifting, and before and after a pregnancy. My experimentally determined TDEE went up about 150 calories a day with regular lifting. I think if you continue to eat and track as you are now, and just add in the right lifting program it will make all the difference.
  • lkeskih1
    lkeskih1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Our stats are similar. I'm 31 y.o., 5'4.75" and 116 lbs. My advise would be to get started on a lifting program involving deadlifts, squats, bench, and overhead press and lift heavy enough that you can't get 12 reps in on your heaviest weight. I like 5/3/1. I have tracked my calories without trying to lose weight for several years now, before and during lifting, and before and after a pregnancy. My experimentally determined TDEE went up about 150 calories a day with regular lifting. I think if you continue to eat and track as you are now, and just add in the right lifting program it will make all the difference.

This seems like good advise after looking at body recomposition posts and whatnot. do you have any recommendations for starting out lifting from home? like videos or programs to follow and what kind of weights i might need. a gym membership right now is sort of impossible as all the gyms with child care centers are really expensive in my area.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    Options

This seems like good advise after looking at body recomposition posts and whatnot. do you have any recommendations for starting out lifting from home? like videos or programs to follow and what kind of weights i might need. a gym membership right now is sort of impossible as all the gyms with child care centers are really expensive in my area.

I started out lifting at home. I made myself a squat rack from this link: https://freckledlifter.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/diy-squat-rack/

I picked myself up a bar and some plates at walmart, and did floor presses until I found a bench (and a better bar and more plates) on craigslist for about $25.

You can build your lifting program here: http://www.strengthstandards.co/#/
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    Options
    I just realized that link is no longer good for the squat rack. It was similar to this one though: http://www.endofthreefitness.com/crossfit-equipment-homemade-squat-bench-press-stand/
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    edited November 2016
    Options
    This is mine4kugf10sa63v.jpg
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    And if you are gaining weight your maintenance calories may be too high, you may actually be in a slight surplus. Try dropping your daily calorie goal by 100 calories and see if that stops the weight gain? Or you could keep calories the same but increase the intensity or amount of exercise. Try hiit cardio or plyometric exercises instead of the elliptical. Strength training/lifting weights is also really great for fat loss because it has an afterburn effect so you don't just burn calories as you're actively working out (like with cardio) but for hours later as well, and it takes calories to repair and build the muscle. Also having more lean muscle mass increases the metabolism because muscles require calories where as fat tissue does not. Don't worry about getting bulky either that's a myth. If anything having more muscle will make you look leaner even at the same body weight.

I find it hard to believe, given the information she has provided, that 1700 would be a surplus. I think it would be more likely she is eating more than 1700 due to logging issues. I would start there and not drop calories.

My main question is (and sorry if I missed it).....how long has the gain been going on? Because if this is just a short term thing, there are all kinds of reasons the scale may move up.

At 5'3" and 117lbs, my maintenance cals were mid 1400's (not including exercise).

OP is 5'4", 119lbs. Her maintenance cals sans exercise are not going to be much higher than that given the activity indicated by her step count. Probably around 1500. Now add some cardio. Let's say every day since OP says she does a workout video on her 'off' days. With all of that she's likely right at 1700 total IF she doesn't skip any days.

Also, is OP logging accurately? Because if her goal is right on target, that means slightly but consistently underestimating calories could result in slow weight gain.

I actually mentioned logging in my post, so I agree there. And I said based on her information (exercising and hitting 10000 steps a day. So I still don't believe 1700 is the issue. I think it is more likely she is not really at 1700.
  • lkeskih1
    lkeskih1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I actually mentioned logging in my post, so I agree there. And I said based on her information (exercising and hitting 10000 steps a day. So I still don't believe 1700 is the issue. I think it is more likely she is not really at 1700.

I use a food scale for literally everything. I do not eat out, i prepare all of my food myself. I don't understand how I could be logging inaccurately, but if i am it's probably within 100 calories
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Obligatory:
    s4fqjtjyelia.jpg
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Did you ever describe what "creeping up" means in terms of timeline and number of pounds?
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I use a food scale for literally everything. I do not eat out, i prepare all of my food myself. I don't understand how I could be logging inaccurately, but if i am it's probably within 100 calories

That's fine. But my main question earlier is how long has this been going on. Like I said, you may have mentioned this, but I didn't see it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Do you use the recipe builder for your recipes?

Also, how do you log cooking oils/butters and the like? Can you open your diary up for us? Not that I think you're being dishonest, it is just there are a lot of BS entries in the mfp food database themselves.

Do you add exercise to mfp?