cheat meals/days

Options
jbucci1186
jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
Okay, so I was just wondering a few things:
1) Do any of you have a cheat meal once a week? (as in something pretty bad like a burger, mac and cheese, fries, BBQ RIBSSSS; extreme desserts like ice cream, cake, CHEESECAKE, those types of things).
2) Do any of you have a cheat day where you basically just eat whatever you want/don't count calories/etc...?
2) have you had success doing this? have you gained by doing this?

I have honestly NEVER done either and I have, I guess, hit a plateau and have not been able to get out of it for almost 2 months now... I was thinking maybe I should start having a cheat meal/day a couple times a month? I can't say I'm going to eat fried crap and burgers all the time, but I wouldn't mind having one every now and then since it's been over a year now...

thanks! (i hope that makes sense)

Replies

• TwinMamma09
    TwinMamma09 Posts: 140
    Options
    I usually give myself a cheat meal here and there but it normally fits with my calories so I am okay there.

I have a girl on my team at work who is going for her pro-card in figure. She is all muscle and very serious about her training.

Even she gives herself a cheat meal once a week where she goes to Sweet Tomatoes and eats anything and everything. She says that basically after 1000 calories in that meal, the body really doesn't absorb much else.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I don't like the word 'cheat'. If I want something, I'm going to eat it. I just have to compensate in other areas - like exercise more, or eat better for other meals in the day. I'm not going to be able to go the rest of my life without things I want, so there's no way I'm depriving myself now. In the past, it has only led to binging for me - my new mantra is 'have it if you want it but you have to work for it'.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I don't elect a day in the week to deliberately have a 'cheat ' day/ meal. I believe in eating right and exercising whenever i can, but hey, theres nothing wrong with having something you like every now and again. My willpower is very weak, and I really think having a 'cheat day' isn't going to do you any favours..portion size control is a better option!
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Yeah, cheat isn't the best way to describe it, even though that's what it is. I will usually have one every other week, one meal. Not day. It helps keep you sane and a lot of time reduces the desire to binge during a normal week.

I've also read that if you do a lower carb, that it's a good idea to have 1 high carb day which would include your cheat meal.
  • freshmenthesis
    freshmenthesis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I am really on track I have one meal that exceeds usual calorie, carb, fat or sugar limitations a week. (This being said, I have not been very "on track" recently.)
    Anyway, it has always worked for me in the past because it's something to look forward to and breaks the routine up a little. This being said I always try not to go toooo crazy. Maybe one "cheat" item not several together. Once you learn to make healthy decisions even your not-so-healthy ones aren't even that bad anymore.
  • RhiannonWatters
    RhiannonWatters Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't like the word 'cheat'. If I want something, I'm going to eat it. I just have to compensate in other areas - like exercise more, or eat better for other meals in the day. I'm not going to be able to go the rest of my life without things I want, so there's no way I'm depriving myself now. In the past, it has only led to binging for me - my new mantra is 'have it if you want it but you have to work for it'.
    That's how I go about it. I eat what I want, but in portions, and if I go over my calorie limit, I exercise it off. I tried dieting and it made me miserable, so I just ration what I eat, but eat the same stuff.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I cheat weekly. I have a motto 70% clean 30% dirty. I can save it up for a awesome meal (mexican meal with a fruit plate con lechera 1200 cal min im guessing) I make sure it's on a day i do insane cardio and aim for 600 to 800 cal burn and then rinse off and head over for my recovery/cheat meal. I enjoy it as a lunch and remain active the rest of the day. Finish the day with salad or other light foods. It's worked during my weight loss.
  • bac0s
    bac0s Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is where I am at... I've lost over 60 pounds eating this way. I try to eat well for the most part, I eat a ton of food for my 1400 calories a day, but I still have pizza, or burgers, and birthday cake, and ice cream, etc. Not daily (except for my Klondike bar/Skinny Cow that I have after dinner every night), but probably once a week or so. Even movie theater popcorn once every few months (my kryptonite). I just fit it into my calories for the day and adjust the rest of the day accordingly.

I don't give myself permission to eat whatever and go hog wild (although sometimes I fall off the wagon and it happens). For big holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas I do indulge a bit more, but try to still keep track of the calories and make smartish choices.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I usually have a splurge day every week or two, depending on if there's a special family event or pizza night and sometimes I count, sometimes I don't. I count if it's convenient but like last weekend there was a family reunion with lots of homemade food so it just wasn't easy to guess on calories. I also had a couple high cal desserts so I know I was way over and tried not to feel guilty as I am very good about sticking to my calorie amt most days.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    1) Do any of you have a cheat meal once a week? (as in something pretty bad like a burger, mac and cheese, fries, BBQ RIBSSSS; extreme desserts like ice cream, cake, CHEESECAKE, those types of things).
    ALL OF THEM within a single day? No... I think once a week is too much if you want to eat all of those in one day.

But if we're talking about just one or two of those... I have them more than once a week. Just yesterday I had a Big Mac meal, large size. I make sure to stay under my calorie budget though, while meeting my protein and fiber requirement. I ended up going over my usual budget yesterday; however, with the help of exercise, I did manage to stay under my maintenance calories, so I don't feel bad about it.

Portion control is your friend. If you're eating it in moderation, whether it's French Fries or a cheesecake, that's NOT cheating in my book.
  • LadyKP
    LadyKP Posts: 31
    Options
    One thing that helped me is saving one day for my indulgent cravings of the week. For example; if I was craving an ice cream, a certain restaurant, or a huuuuuge bowl of cereal, I would tell myself, "wait until Saturday, then you can have it". That way I'm not consumed by my craving. Then, on that day, I would indulge in whatever I was craving, or even better, forget about it.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    I was always taught that cravings last roughly 10 minutes. Usually I ask myself if I really, really, need it. Or kind of ask what is it about that particular thing I want. You're mind is a powerful thing, but you can control it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    great blog post with graphs and stuff here :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/grunt1/view/-your-body-loves-you-124566

I do carb/calorie cycling so that in effect is sort of "cheat meals".
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    obviously i don't intend on eating all of that in one day, i'm trying to break a plateau, i know i don't need to eat those things (and i don't even want to) i'm just trying to lose these last 9lbs.. thanks for the replies, i'll just figure it out myself.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    Interesting though...hey it never hurts to try. If you see it causes you to gain, you'll know not to do it again ;) I'd love some Japanese right about now, never bothered me before, but the sodium has got to be out of this world...when I've lost half of what you've lost I would definitely consider that for a meal I wasn't looking at the calories on :)
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    yes. every Monday, it's 40cent wing night and 5 dollar 32 oz beer night. guess who kills both?

that's right, this girl.

i pair the wings with a side salad and we're good...generally i can't even finish all of it.

it's not bad to allow yourself to eat those things as long as it's not every day or at every meal!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    yes. every Monday, it's 40cent wing night and 5 dollar 32 oz beer night. guess who kills both?

that's right, this girl.

i pair the wings with a side salad and we're good...generally i can't even finish all of it.

it's not bad to allow yourself to eat those things as long as it's not every day or at every meal!

alcohol and protein: like peas in a pod. (fat, not so much :tongue: )