Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    DX810 wrote: »
    Yes that's why I was doing cardio but according to cwolfman:

"Honestly, it all seems pretty random and arbitrary. I would look at establishing some fitness goals (not calorie burn goals or weight loss goals, etc)...doing so will help to provide purpose and structure to your training."

what he's saying is you will probably get more out of your workouts if you have a goal.

for example, i'm a runner, so i run, bike and do some strength training which complements the cardio with the goal of getting a PB next race. i focus on doing a specific number of miles per week when i'm training, increasing my distance etc.

having a focus and is good for keeping you motivated to work out, thats all.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I exercise 6 or 7 days a week - but I've worked up to that over a period of time.
    If you feel tired, recovery suffering, workout performance suffering then you need to throttle back a bit (volume or frequency preferably but try and keep the intensity).

Exercise is about health, fitness, strength and body composition - thinking of an exercise goal in terms of calorie burns is a very short term view. Do you intend to stop exercising when you get to goal weight?
    I hope not or you will slip back into the habits that got your where you are now.
  • slwebster997
    slwebster997 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about not being able to do 6 days a week, that's pretty tough going! My trainer told me to have between 2 and 4 really really good productive sessions a week and maximise yourself. I went through a phase of going 6 times a week... this happened for about 3 weeks, however I started to notice that infact I wasn't doing much at all... I was wasting time but doing slow workouts over 6 days that could have been done in 2-3 workouts. Now I try to go Monday, Tuesday, Thursdays and Saturdays... but if I feel like ive done really good workouts on Monday and Tuesday for example... then I might skip Thursday and just go Saturday. Listen to your body, as it's like a machine... if you injure it.. you'll be looking at not being able to work out for a while! But sometimes bear in mind that you need to know the difference in listening to your body and realising it needs a break and just being plain lazy! That's my problem sometimes. Keep it up though!
  • DX810
    DX810 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    TravisstockToad, I see what you mean but I still can't figure out why my workout routine seems not consistent with a goal. I would love to know so that I can fix it.

sijomial, No I plan to keep going. I'm 119 pounds now and I want to be 114, which has always been my weight but for some reason I can't get to it. I notice I want to eat more now ever since I reached my mid 30s. I also want to keep my muscles and core strong. Plus, work on my posture to prevent pains. I'm just going crazy with the intensity now to lose it fast but apparently it might not be good, I don't know.

slwebster, thank you so much for your comment. It's inspiring a lot. I think I have an idea on what you mean about figuring out when you're being lazy or 'listening to your body' but my problem is that sometimes I'm lazy and I know I'm lazy and I just decide I don't care and I seep in lol.

• DX810
    Options
    TavisstockToad, I see but I still don't know why the schedule seems to be not consistent with a goal/random. I want to know so I can fix it.

sijomial, No I want to keep going even after reaching my goal. I'm 119 pounds now and I need to reach 114. I'm so close but I can't reach it because I seem to be hungry all the time ever since I hit mid-30. I also want to keep my endurance and overall health and good posture- all good reasons to keep working out.

slwebster997, thank you so much for your answer. It was inspiring. I think I understand what you mean by differentiating between listening to the body and being plain lazy. Sometimes I feel lazy and I know I'm being lazy and decide to just not care and sleep in, lol.
  • DX810
    edited November 2016
    Options
    TavisstockToad, I see. I still don't understand why my routine seems to be inconsistent with a goal. I'm asking because I want to fix it.

sijomial, No I don't plan to stop once I reach my target. I'm 119 now and I need to reach 114. It's just a couple few pounds but I feel like I'm stuck and not moving, probably due to the fact that I feel hungry all the time compared to in my 20s. There are so many reasons to keep working out irrespective of that goal (good posture, strong core, overall health).

slwebster997, thank you so much for your comment, it was really inspiring. I think I know what you mean by differentiating between listening to your body and knowing when you're lazy. Sometimes I feel lazy and I know I'm being lazy and I decide to take a break :| which breaks the momentum.

• DX810
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I wrote my answer 4 times and it won't let me post it for some reason :/
  • DX810
    Options
    TavisstockToad, I see; well I was waiting for someone to point out exactly where the inconsistency was in the schedule so I can fix it.
  • DX810
    Options
    sijomial, no I don't plan to stop once I reach my target. I'm 119 and I want to reach 114. It's just a few pounds but I feel I can't reach it fast enough, probably because I feel I want to eat more now in my 30s compared to my 20s. There are many reasons to keep working out like good posture, strong core and overall fitness.
  • DX810
    Options
    I give up.

It's not letting me post my comments to the other people. Just imagine I did and thank you >(
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Can you swim? I have strengthened my core significantly with swimming and an aqua fitness class. No impact, great resistance, works the whole body.

Yes. I use no-impact swimming to extend how much I am able to exercise. Walking, social dancing, gardening...there are lots of ways that you can stay active while giving your body a little bit of a break from the high-impact stuff.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    TravisstockToad, I see what you mean but I still can't figure out why my workout routine seems not consistent with a goal. I would love to know so that I can fix it.

If energy expenditure is your only goal then it's fine...there's nothing to fix. I'm simply pointing out that there is a great deal of benefit to establishing fitness goals that go beyond just burning calories...energy expenditure is a nice bi-product of fitness, but I don't look at energy expenditure as the purpose.

I'm coming at this from a fitness point of view...from a fitness standpoint, arbitrarily doing this or that is a pretty inefficient way to train. Having fitness goals that go beyond energy expenditure and weight management open up a whole new world of fitness...it also provides structure in that you can then follow a specific protocol to achieve those fitness goals. The training protocol will dictate what you do, when you do it, at what intensity you work on a given day, when to cross train, when to rest, etc.

In my experience, just looking at energy expenditure is a pretty short sighted view and most people I know who do things just for energy expenditure don't end up sticking with it...this is obviously a negative where fitness and overall health and well being are concerned...it is also why so many people struggle with the maintenance aspect of weight management. When in maintenance, it's practically a necessity to have other goals as there is no "high" from watching the numbers on the scale anymore.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    One of the great joys I get from exercise is learning to hear my body when it speaks. Your body told you it performs better with a rest day. Pay attention to it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Ok, first things first...slow down a bit...in your thinking! It's great to be excited to start a new routine, but you need to have an eye for the long-term.
    Really, I would say that that just about everybody needs rest days. The body needs time to repair itself after being worked out. It greatly decreases your chance of injury and increases your chance of sticking with the program.
    Looking at the big picture instead of knit-picking the day-to-day can be helpful. Observing trends over time is very helpful.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I think you can be active every day if you want but like people have said working up to it is smart, so you don't burn out before you have a chance to get in the groove. If you don't want a rest day, tone down everything else to something mentally sustainable and go from there. Your idea of rest days will change over time as well - a rest day for a beginner might be a complete feet up kind of day, whereas a couple months down the line it might be an easy couple miles on the treadmill.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I give up.

It's not letting me post my comments to the other people. Just imagine I did and thank you >(

I've been having that problem for a few weeks now. What's up at MFP?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    Hello OP. A quick read tells me that your exercise program is mainly intended for you to lose 2kg which you decided you need to lose. But halfway through the program you are feeling lack of energy and are not completing the program at the same intensity level. You also mention words like petite and dancing in your past, etc. And you mention being extremely hungry when done exercising... and not immediately fuelling that hunger.

Would it be a fair assessment that even though you are now less "ripped" than you used to be in your 20s, nevertheless an independent assessment would consider you to be squarely within the normal weight for your height category?

Cause it does sound like you may be doing... too much activity for the amount of food that you're currently letting yourself have.

And without some care and attention instead of increasing your lean mass and reducing any hints of fat you've developed... which I assume is your goal... you may end up losing more lean mass than you would want to.

If my above assumptions are correct... you want small deficits. good strength building well fuelled workouts. Not random cardio to burn calories.
  • DX810
    Options
    PAV8888, that's something I thought about. It might be an 'ego' thing. I always defined myself as being someone who's weight is 50KG and deep down I wanted to stay like that. I also rationalized it as there are lots of people who grow old and still remain at that weight so why can't I? I went up to 55 and now seem to be stuck at 54. I just feel like I'll be content if I stick down to 52. I know I'm being picky but because I increase fast and also have tendency to develop cholesterol (family history) plus when I did the body analysis they categorized me as 'skinny fat'. I look skinny but I have a build up of fat that is slightly above my normal I figured the fastest thing would be to do intensive cardio. In my mind that was the logical thing to do. I didn't think of it as 'arbitrary' or 'random'.

I will try to find a personal trainer to work with me next month I guess :/
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    Your cardio activity at a large caloric deficit will reduce your weight by reducing BOTH your fat and lean mass.

For obese people the fat to lean mass ratio that they lose tends to be "favourable" lets say. Think 5:1 or better ranges (hey, I used to get 10:1 in the beginning).

However, for most people as they approach a normal weight range the loss ratio becomes less favourable. 2:1; 1.75:1, even 1:1 (and yes, in extreme cases more lean mass than fat gets lost)

On top of that there is a maximum amount of calories that can be supplied from fat stores in a 24 hour period (If I recall correctly in the range of about 30 Cal per lb of non essential body fat that is available to be lost).

So, assuming that the assessments you are going were correct (and there is no real guarantee that they were as many measurement errors exist especially when it comes to body fat determinations), you are now "skinny fat".

This is term that is usually used to describe a person in the normal weight range who is over-fat/under lean massed for their weight.

One of the traditional ways people unintentionally achieve this skinny-fat result is by doing lots of cardio and having a steep caloric deficit while losing weight.

You can see then why the same plan that often results in the problem condition would probably not be the right plan to re-mediate it! :smiley:

Please look up the threads on recomposition.

In any case, you are looking at small deficits (and yes, that would involve eating back cardio exercise burns, so you would only be doing them for health reasons and enjoyment, not fat loss) and strength training.

Sounds like you're willing to do the work; so go for it! (and I am sure others can recommend great programs though quite a few are discussed in the recomposition threads)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I do best with about 3 hour long weight training sessions a week, 2 hiit cardio sessions, and 2 rest days per week. The most I will do on a rest day is a short walk.

Most people need at least 1 rest day per week, some do up to 4. Rest is good.