Success during plateau

Options
I know some people don't believe in plateaus in weightloss but I do and am currently almost 2 weeks into one. I've been losing motivation due to the scale not dropping but I soldiered on and am officially .6 of a pound away from being out of it! Every other time I've tried to lose weight, I'd have given up maybe 4 days into it, but not this time!!! I've stuck with my calorie number, done some different exercises, and stuck with it. Hopefully soon I'll be seeing some new numbers on that scale!! Here's to not falling off the wagon and keeping on :-)

Replies

• YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Well done for pushing through!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Cheers to not giving up!

As a side note those that do believe in plateaus normally say it's closer to 4-6 weeks with no change. idk
  • karenstep
    karenstep Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I constantly plateau, sometimes for up to a month. I can be completely defeating. I've lost 30 lbs over 7 months and I can drop 5-10 in a month and then plateau again. But stick with it, I try to mix things up, change exercises, change up the diet. I was not tracking my calories for a while, I did when I started but then quit, but I'm tracking again and losing again. When I did plateau for 2 months over summer, I was still exercising 6x a week but not tracking food and probably eating too much, even though I thought I wasn't. After those 2 months the scale stayed the same but I could fit into shorts that I could not fit into at all before, so things were still changing and I could see a difference in appearance. Sometimes I'll add in an extra workout or cut out a carby food for another fruit/veggie serving for a few days. Also - changing my motivation from the number on the scale to "fitting in those pants" helped when the scale wouldn't budge. Stick with it...you'll break through!!!!
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I don't weigh myself often. I just do what I'm supposed to do. When I notice I've lost weight (measuring tape), THEN I weigh myself. Once I get to goal, then I will weigh once a week or every few days.
  • babybear_mt
    babybear_mt Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the moral support! I know I had gotten pretty relaxed with my weighing all my foods, so I cracked down more these last 3 or 4 days.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    When I plateau I eat completely different for a week, and then jump back on my meal plan. It takes determination, and self control to do that, but it has always broken it pretty quickly for me. Some times you just need a re-feed.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Two weeks really isn't a plateau, but good on you for realizing what you needed to change to get back to it!
  • Laurie6578
    Laurie6578 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    astroamy wrote: »
    I call it a stall. I have been at this for 7 months, and my pattern is stall-lose-stall-lose. I weight myself everyday and have a spreadsheet with it all. The stalls tend to be 1-2 weeks but about a month ago I had a 25 day stall, it about killed me. Last two times I lost weight I quit at about 30lbs down because of a long stall, so this time I swore I was going to reward myself for sticking with it not a weight loss goal. Weight loss is an award in itself. So when I was in my 25 day stall I decided that if I stuck with the plan until the end of that month I could get myself a pair of shoes. I stuck with it and it broke and I have a new pair of shoes. :)

This is my pattern of weight loss too only I tend to reach a low and then go up a pound or too. When the stall starts to drag out too long I get antsy but if I wait it out it always breaks and I reach a new low. I also second guess myself though and I start scrutinizing the intake more..
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I had a 7 week stall. stuck to it and am loosing again. it's so hard when the scale doesn't move ...it can be so discouraging and in the past it is where I have quit. not this time!!

down 60 now I started in may. I just started to loose again last week after 7 weeks of up amd down the same 3 pounds. here is what I did:

pointed out all my nsv to myself.
    focused on what I was doing right
    reminded myself how much better I feel...clearer skin etc.
    took out my biggest pair of undereare from before and layer my current on top...wow huge difference!

reminded myself if I give up I will end up back wearing those big underware and if I keep at it even if I don't loose I stay where I am...win win!

hang in there. ....look at progress pics!. during my 7 week stall. I still went down in sizes but it took a lot for me to see it.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    From site: http://www.barbrothersgroningen.com/bar-brother-mastery/

What most people think mastery looks like because of marketing quick fixes and commercials:

rc8fc80qx15u.jpg

What real improvement/mastery looks like:

zjjl6z670rc7.png

• astroamy
    astroamy Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Laurie6578 wrote: »

This is my pattern of weight loss too only I tend to reach a low and then go up a pound or too. When the stall starts to drag out too long I get antsy but if I wait it out it always breaks and I reach a new low. I also second guess myself though and I start scrutinizing the intake more..

Yea, me too. Two week stall, lose 4 lbs, bounce up and down 1-2 lbs for a week or two, start over. It can be very easy to second guess yourself when the stall is longer than "normal", for me if the stall is longer than 2 weeks I start to get antsy. I make a graph of my daily weights and plot a "trendline" which helps because it is always pointing down, even when the real numbers aren't at the moment.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Could it be that the plateau in the number on the scale is really just a reflection of the body gaining muscle mass? I.e., losing fat, but increasing muscle
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the moral support! I know I had gotten pretty relaxed with my weighing all my foods, so I cracked down more these last 3 or 4 days.

I just read a study that after around 6 months "dieters" tend to relax on their counting/weighing/measuring which happens to coincide with when most "dieters" have a plateau. I can't find the study again but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you plateau, you're simply not eating a calorie deficit or enough of a defecit to notice any dramatic change. Shave another 100 calories off your daily intake and the scale will begin to move again.

This can be due to several reasons. As someone already mentioned, getting too lax on weighing and measuring or potentially, not re-calculating your goals in MFP. Remember, if you lose 20lbs over the course of a few months, you need to go back into the MFP settings and recalculate so it will adjust your calories accordingly. If you're doing a lot of strength training, you could be gaining muscle weight or retaining water as your muscles repair themselves. While on the subject of water retention, check your sodium levels, if you've been consuming a lot, you could be constantly retaining water, although the scale should still shift down, if you're eating at a defecit.

There's really never a plateau for no reason. Something is always causing it. Unless you, all of a sudden, develop some freak medical condition which you've been clinically diagnosed with.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!