What do you think is the main culprit of you gaining weight?

Options
124»

Replies

• Grathiael
    Grathiael Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    jonni82014 wrote: »
    Question: Am I feeding my body or an emotion? 90% of the time. Unplanned foods that I eat are triggered by emotions. This is a struggle. Awareness is the 1st step.

I agree with awareness.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I know what it was. 1st 15 lbs was marriage/moving to a new state and not working out/eating 5-10 cookies every night with new husband. The rest of the weight was growing a small human inside of me and then providing it's only sustenance for the next year causing me overwhelming and constant hunger.
  • HungryHungrystepho
    Options
    Insulin resistance. When I was growing up we were told fat was the culprit. Remember snackwell cookies? A muffin or a bagel and a glass of juice was a "healthy breakfast". Now it seems absurd that we thought that, but that's what we were told. Those habits are hard to change. I was undisciplined and uneducated about food. Glad I got the wake up call I needed.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Too many "just a little treat because I deserve it" moments.

And portion size creep - making meals for DH who needs nearly 3000 Cals when I only need half that, I lost sight of how different out dinner sizes should be.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Lack of confidence that I could slim down
    Wondering about it instead of just getting started
  • judis100
    judis100 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    This election cycle.

Haha - so True!
    I'm another emotional eater, working hard at being an ex.
  • lalee115
    lalee115 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Laziness, complacency, fear of failing and feeling even worse about myself.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Eating too much and sitting on my butt all day
  • beginforthelasttime16
    Options
    poor eating habits
  • dhockenberry1980
    Options
    overeating, love the pasta
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Eating too much.

I used to blame my weight gain on medical conditions, medications, what others were cooking and food types, but that's all *kitten*. I've seen many here with all sorts of medical conditions lose weight and maintain it.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Eating mindlessly.
  • gwenster89
    gwenster89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Stress, first and foremost. It becomes a vicious cycle, too... if I'm stressed, I eat, and then I'm stressed about how much I eat, and so on.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I knew better, but I didn't KNOW better.
  • txtransplant16
    txtransplant16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was really active in high school and when I went to college I wasn't so much but still ate whatever I wanted. And then I turned 21 and going to the bars didn't help either...
  • florabundi2016
    florabundi2016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Mindlessly eating salty snacks while reading. Never much for sweets, but give me a book and a giant bag of chips and they were gone without me noticing.
  • JimSkipper
    JimSkipper Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The desire for flavor. We like things that taste good and when they taste good, we eat more of it. The other thing I have a problem with is having been raised to eat everything on my plate and going to restaurants where they serve too much. I am trying to start to cook at home more, but it is tough with my schedule.