Starvation

Options
I am kind of concerned that my body might be going into starvation mode.. I eat less then 1200 everyday! I'm also nursing but have not been logging that because I'm unsure about the amount of calories I'm using.. I'm also not hungry enough to eat that much which is really weird because I can normally eat a ton of food! Should I be concerned or is it my body just getting use to me eating less?

Replies

• corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way...your child needs you to eat 1700 calories a day MINIMUM! Nursing burns about 500 calories/day and you need 1200 calories without exercise or nursing...
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating more calories. Not only for you, but for your baby as well! It dosn't mean you have to eat unhealthy. A slice of whole wheat/whole grain bread can have 80-100 calories. Avacados and nuts are healthy and have a higher calorie count.
  • Jodi_O
    Jodi_O Posts: 32
    Options
    Producing breast milk uses 300-500 calories a day.
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you're nursing then that's reason enough right there that you should be eating more (or at least) your 1200 per day. I imagine that you're more tired than anything & would rather sleep than eat, but you have to make sure you're eating enough - for you & your baby's sake.

Take Care.:flowerforyou:
  • mizzqt2
    mizzqt2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think that you need to increase your calorie intake. I took a nutrition class last semester, and my teacher said that during lactation (breast feeding) you need to increase your calories by about 300. If you are not getting the proper amount of energy, your not giving your infant all the nutrition that they need. It is important to make sure that you are eating the right amount of calories. You also should be marking down how many times you breast feed, because that takes away calories from you. Good luck! :wink:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you are breastfeeding it's really important that you are getting good nutrition - for your baby and for you.
    I'd suggest that you talk to your doctor or child health nurse for advice as they know you and your situation.
    Not being hungry doesn't mean "don't eat" in this situation.
  • keepkickingbutt
    keepkickingbutt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I also think more calories are in order (I'm envious tho, hee hee!). If you're not feeling that hungry, a healthy smoothie made with e.g. milk + strawberries or a banana could be a good options. I sometimes also add a bit of muesli or other healthy cereal and/or a spoonful of peanut butter to the blender... it's pretty tasty! Also, and this might sound weird but is delicious: make a 2/3 size smoothie then top up with sparkling water. Very refreshing! Hope all is well for you and your newly-expanded family. :)
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    use evoo a lil in whatever you make it increases your cals by 120 per tsbp
  • jpeper1966
    jpeper1966 Posts: 79
    Options
    I am going to go against the group here. You definatelty need to eat several well balanced meals a day but calories are not the priority. Your baby needs vitamins and minerals that your body does not store. You have stores of fat but not a lot of vitamins.

If you are eating the recommended amount of all of the food groups each day and still have a calorie deficit, I wouldn't worry.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't go under 1200 calories a day ever......and definitely not everyday, and put nursing a child on top of that. You need to be focusing on what is healthy for your child and your health will naturally follow suit. Don't cause your kid to have problems later by not getting what they need now just because you want to lose some weight.
  • AshlynsMom1
    Options
    She eats every 3 hours and is growing at a very good pace.. I still take my prenatals.. I dont feel tired, i actaully feel a lot more energized.. I can't really have dairy because she has trouble digesting it.. She actaully has a doctors check up this week so I'm going to ask them and see what they say.. I am also going to eat a few more calories!!
  • Ashjoyce
    Ashjoyce Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First I say a call to your dr, pediatrician or nutrionist would give you the appropriate answer for you.
    But it sure does seem to make sense that you need to be eating at least that many calories of healthy foods to make sure you are getting the nutrients you both need. I know for me simply nursing for the first 9 months helps me shed the baby weight very quickly. And I also remember being so tired from feedings around the clock I didn't always eat what I should have and when I should have. I did however try to drink something healthy while I was nursing. 1% milk was a go to for me.

Good luck to you on being healthy and the new little one.
  • AshlynsMom1
    Options
    Sammydoddles83- first of all I am no were near putting my child in any danger! She eats like she always has, it would be completely different if my milk supply was going down and she was starving.. but it's remanded the same! Nothing has changed!! If i thought my baby was hungry or got be effected by me eatting less i wouldnt, Just because I'm eatting more healthier things to make mysel healthier along with my child seeing I am nursing is better then loading up on junk food and gaining weight!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I retract my statement about breastmilk, however, I think we can all agree consistently going under 1200 calories a day is still not a good idea apparently not for effecting your childs health but your own.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Just so everyone stops worrying so much--quality of breastmilk is one of the last things to go when a lactating mother suffers malnutrition, and I'm sure the OP is likely NOT malnourished. While adding just a protein bar, or a smoothie, and maybe a nice slice of toast with jam a day would be a good idea to boost calories for the OP's health, this baby is not going to wind up asthmatic, ADHD, or otherwise ill because mom had a couple hundred calories too few daily. Breastfeeding isn't that exact a thing, and it takes some serious malnutrition in Mom's world to render baby likewise malnourished. More often than not, a woman's milk will dry up from malnutrition (and her menstrual cycles will stop) before it will become nutritionally lacking for baby. Breastfeeding isn't just a matter of "food in-food out." That's why the 80s brought us so many pictures of emaciated, hollow-eyed women with their round, sweet-faced infants at the breast. It's not until weaning (or the loss of millk supply) that those babies begin to starve. The leading cause of infant malnutrition in hunger-stricken areas isn't maternal malnutrition, but rather a lack of breastfeeding, early termination of breastfeeding, and supplementing with formula. Or so says UNICEF.

It sounds like the OP has a good handle on her nursing--remember to drink your water, and good job knowing what foods in your diet irritate your baby. Remember that the vast majority of doctors have never taken a course in lactation or infant nutrition--if you run into trouble, seek out an IBCLC/Lactation Consultant to give you a hand.

Now, have a protein bar or a homemade smoothie. Or just add a couple of bananas and a slice of whole grain bread so folks can stop worrying. I'm sorry you got jumped--you throw a baby into the mix, and people tend to react emotionally, especially when common knowledge concerning breastmilk and nursing isn't widespread. As a society, we could definitely stand to know more about it.

Kris
  • AshlynsMom1
    Options
    Thriceshy- thank you so much! I understand and agree that I should maybe have something a little more during the day but I end up feelin sick if I eat to much or more then what I started! She has a check up and the nurse I see is a lactation consultant so I am going to talk to her.. I want to be able to be outside in the summer when my baby gets older and not be dragging around extra weight, never would I risk her health to loose weight, I'd rather stay over weight.. If that was the case. If I wasn't still taking my prenatals I would be concerned but a I was told by my doctor, the vitamins actaully give her and me most of the nutrition she needs on told of the healthy foods I've been eatting! Thanks for everyones help!!