Proper measurments

Options
How are the teaspoon/tablespoon measurements done on these MFP food lists? Is 1 teaspoon one exactly leveled-off teaspoon or is it what a teaspoon will actually hold?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale for all solids. Use measuring cups/spoons for liquids.

Food scales by the gram or oz will be more accurate.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I use food scales for everything including liquids. You get a more accurate measurement.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon is 5ml, a tablespoon is 15ml, if you're talking liquid measures. Generally, it's not referring to the ones in your cutlery drawer but rather the standarized ones meant for baking.

If your item is not a liquid, it's better to use weight as it's very difficult to accurately measure solids in liquid volume measuring tools. Most labels will have the gram weight in parenthesis next to the "tbsp" part (for example, with peanut butter it might say "Serving size: 1 tbsp (12g)" or whatever.)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'll put in a measuring spoon is a liquid. All non-liquids are weighed in grams on a food scale.
  • lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    So if I don't want to use a scale for everything like most everybody here does and I want to use the "baking spoons that are marked 1/4, 1/2, 1 tsp, etc., is the correct way to measure LEVELED OFF or to where it is whatever that particular spoon will hold? It's just not convenient to measure every single thing.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you're okay with not being accurate, then a level cup or spoon would be OK.

If you are stalling in weight loss or gaining weight, this is the area you will have to look at.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    lthur714 wrote: »
    So if I don't want to use a scale for everything like most everybody here does and I want to use the "baking spoons that are marked 1/4, 1/2, 1 tsp, etc., is the correct way to measure LEVELED OFF or to where it is whatever that particular spoon will hold? It's just not convenient to measure every single thing.

Leveled off. I agree with the others about weighing, but won't rehash it further.