Weight loss after going over 1200 calorie recommendation

Options
Interesting note: I've been going over my 1200 calorie allowance, while still being cautious of my food intake, and it seems as though my body is thanking me for feeding it by shedding the weight. I honestly think that sticking to only 1200 calories, for my body type at least, caused me to go into slight starvation mode, because I lost more (even during TOM's visit and less exercise) once I started eating around 1400 -1500 cals a day than I did trying to stick with 1200 or less. For example, about 2 1/2 weeks ago I started going over my 1200 calorie limit (but no more than 1500 cals daily), and didn't track on MFP for various reasons (vacation, etc), and I still lost 3 pounds. Granted, I did not overeat while on vacation, however, I've only worked out twice in the past 2 1/2 weeks. Weird! If there is another explanation for this, I more than welcome feedback. I am not an expert, and do not think this applies to everyone, but just wanted to share this to see if others had have similar experiences. Sidenote: I really do miss my daily workout routine, and do not care about numbers on a scale if I am not toned. I would much rather be a lean 130-135, than a flabby 125. I am currently 5'2", 145 lbs.

Replies

• lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    That's Great!!! I have raised my calorie limit too:)) Great job!!
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Looks like we are about the height and weight:))
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Great work. Sometimes exercise can slow fat loss according to some sources.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Great attitude! I'm also 5'2" and ready to tone, tone, tone! I think a lot of people get that 1,200 number in their head and have the mindset that they can't go over it. When in reality, it is a starting point to still lose weight while eating healthy meals. Many people think that eating below that number will help them shed weight faster. But many of us have found that is simply not true in a lot of cases. I'm glad you found what has worked for you!!! Congratulations and keep up the great job!
  • Justcallmejenny
    Options
    good to know, i'm at 1200 as well
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It works that way for a lot of people. Less food doesn't always mean faster weight loss.

Plus, in my experience, the more you eat, the more of the weight you lose will be from fat.
  • colehook
    colehook Posts: 46
    Options
    i'm 5'5 at 156lbs and I wont budge. I also feel like i'm starving so I may try to up my calories for a week to see what happens. Thanks for your input!
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've found 1400 to be a good net for me. I had a few day where I struggled to net 1200 calories because I just wasn't hungry, but then the next day I would feel like crap, and not be able to exercise (gasping for breathe 2 mins into walking, and forget the run!). So for me, it's been less of a weigh fluctuation so much as noticing a big difference in my body and energy if I'm not around 1400 net. I think everyone is different and it is great that you have now discovered this for your own fitness.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I upped my calorie intake from 1250 to 1350 per day, and stopped losing weight. For me, I have to stay at 1250 and eat back some of my exercise calories (not all). I'm now losing 1.5-2 lbs per week again.

It really is different for everyone!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    worked that way for me too and alot of my friends. 1200 is super low and genreally only a good idea if you have LOTS to lose - like 50, 100 or more.

Also, good to know your BMR and not eat under it. The body doesn't seem to like that either. Small deficits and eating all the calories (exercised ones) seems to be the way!

Congrats on your successes!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I"ve put my calories at 1350 instead of 1200. Work for me
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Yeah... it's that way with a lot of ppl... unfortunately, many don't listen and end up hurting themselves worse because they either eat below 1200 or right at it without eating exercise cals back claiming 'I lose weight better this way'. What they don't realize is that they're trashing their insides and eventually all that loss is going to come to a screeching halt... and some of them will discover that all that weight they lost by eating too little was lost in muscle... hello, skinny-fat! **shrug** To each their own, I guess... But I congratulate you on figuring out the SMART and HEALTHY way of losing weight and I applaud you as well! Keep on the way you're going and you'll be where you want to be in no time! :D
  • CMH24
    CMH24 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Use the Tools and check your BMR. That is how many calories you would burn if you didn't do anything all day long. 1200 is great if you are trying to power the lbs down fast. I find 1350-1450 the best for me, before the nursing and exercise calories. You will lose weight as long as you're not eating 3000 calories each day! lol Enjoy your extra calories :)
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    I raised mine ... 2-3 weeks ago. Best thing I've ever done. I lost a pound. So excited
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Can't live healthy on 1200 calories if you do anything at all during the day. I upped my intake by over 400 calories of their recommendation and feel much better and have more energy. I am careful though to try to make all my calories good calories. (Today was an exception to my rule due to an unforeseen doctors visit.)

Eat healthy, exercise and drink lots of water.
  • melon_e
    melon_e Posts: 58
    Options
    I just increased my calories (changed my settings from losing 1.5 lbs per week to 1 lb per week) so I am glad to hear that others are having some success eating more. I felt like I was ALWAYS hungry with only 1200 calories a day.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i agree and i had the same hting happen to me
  • freshmenthesis
    freshmenthesis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You've got to do what works for YOU.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    YES!!! You have to eat to lose folks, it's true! I eat 1500 a day. I'm 5'5" and currently weigh 125 lbs while eating roughly 1500/day. :D
  • iamhopeful
    iamhopeful Posts: 25
    Options
    Interesting. I'm new here and at 1200 cals too. Will have to see how it goes.