Runny nose when jogging

Options
2»

Replies

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Always. Even when it's warm. Long sleeve and gloves are good. When it's warm, I probably lift the tail of my shirt to wipe (or even BLOW) my nose every quarter mile or so. Gross, but whatever. It comes out in the wash.

When it's HOT, and I run in just a bra, there's really no solution. I tried tucking some tissues in my bra once to take with me, but that ended up a sweaty, soggy, snotty mess.

I've said I'd get some old-school hankies. For years, I've said I'd get some old-school hankies. Still haven't done it. Probably never will.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    It only happens to me when the temperature starts dropping. Nice to see I am not the only one using a sleeve :D
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yup. Just when I run. A while back, I started non stop sneezing about 10mins after each outdoor run but not inside. I take an antihistamine daily now, which fixed the sneezing. I always have to carry tissues to.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Zyrtec!!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Zyrtec!!

I'm not popping a Zyrtec for something caused by condensation. It will have zero effect on my runny cold-weather jogger's nose.
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Is your nose running in all weather conditions or just in cooler weather? Mine runs clear when I exercise outside in cooler weather, but I'm usually wearing long sleeves and just wipe it on my sleeve

Yep...I am a sleeve or collar wiper, as well :) (only when exercising, mind you)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I suspect this might get better as you make progress. In the meantime, carry the tissue. If you get to the point where you can run the entire 3.5 miles and it is still happening, go see a doctor. You might have a sinus problem or allergies.
    I have known of people who tend to get more of a runny nose when running. But nobody who has to carry a tissue each and every time, or for whom it interferes with running....Course, i know mostly runners. Those other people might have stopped long ago.

Not for me it hasn't gotten better. I get a runny nose from all exercise like jemhh. No matter what I'm doing -- lifting, running, walking briskly -- my nose always runs. In fact, the fitter I've become, the worse the problem gets.

It also runs no matter the weather, and indoors or out.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    With the cold weather comes a very low humidity (a lot of the time). This is one of the main reasons why a runner will experience constant, clear nose running during a run.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    yeah, it's normal. That's why a lot of cycling glove have a soft towelling part for you to wipe your nose on. Luckily the worst of the snot dripping happens in winter when you're likely to have gloves to wipe it on. In summer you have to go for the 'invisible handkerchief' technique.
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Snot rockets are fun.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    cold makes my eyes tear up, and then my nose runs because tear ducts lead directly into your nose, like a tiny little bathtub drain.

discovered this all by myself by scratching an eyeball, and seeing a doctor who filled the affected eye with lurid fluourescent dye. my snot glowed in the dark for a while afterwards, but it was the funny looks in the post-doctor coffee shop that alerted me something was wrong.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Super common problem, especially for 40+ runners. Master the snot rocket!

A woman I run with caught herself "hawking a loogie" on the sidewalk while she was all dressed up to go out on the town. She was mortified. Gotta keep that stuff for during the run!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Snot rockets are fun.

they're even more fun on a bike. if you get the gap between knee and arm right, that is.

• bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Super common problem, especially for 40+ runners. Master the snot rocket!

A woman I run with caught herself "hawking a loogie" on the sidewalk while she was all dressed up to go out on the town. She was mortified. Gotta keep that stuff for during the run!

I about spit my coffee!!! Lol still laughing. I mostly do it in private but during a race it sometimes HAS to be done! And, each time I think to myself...hawed a loogie.

Where did the phrase come from anyway??!? Lol
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I hike steep hills, and my nose runs. It doesn't matter, hot, cold, in between. Always have kleenex in my pocket and a bandana just in case. I'm glad to hear it's not just me or old age.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I always get a runny nose when I'm running in cold weather, it's completely normal.