People don't really eat like that...

Options

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on here who has lost more than 100 pounds and she's just recently gone primal (to get over a seven month long plateau ) She's eating somewhere around 2,000 calories a day and still losing and the plateau is long gone. She doesn't eat just baby carrots and chicken breast either.

I've not been at it as long as she has but I typically eat a variety of foods and while chicken and eggs (whole ones!) are part of my life they are by no means the only thing there. I am not hungry and can easily sustain the way I'm eating for the rest of my life. Lots of vegetables, some fruits (mostly in my green smoothies) a variety of meats and healthy fats. I mostly avoid grains but do have an occasional grain item and I even eat chocolate now and then. It's got to be a way of life or I'll just be back where I started.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't eat like that, haha. In fact, I just pigged out on some honey twist pretzels and peanut butter, and don't feel badly at all for it. I make up for it with my long runs once a week.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I assume you're exaggerating the little-ness of the portion size, but not the content of their diet.

Some people honestly and genuinely love healthy food. Others have to stick to a strict healthy diet due to health conditions, etc. There are plenty of people who eat healthy practically all the time. It may be hard to comprehend when you're not one of them (I'm not either, although I do love grilled chicken breast!), but once you get used to it, it's not nearly as hard as it seems.

And yes, there ARE also some who are not 100% honest or accurate with their diaries...
  • Christina269
    Christina269 Posts: 110
    Options
    I think I got fat because I forgot what "real" food is.
    REAL food isn't food that comes to me through my car window.
    REAL food isn't food that contains words I'll never be able to pronounce.
    REAL food isn't food that didn't exist 100 years ago.
    etc...
    I'm only in the beginning of my weight loss efforts, but I've come to enjoy eating this way and the longer I go, the cleaner my meals become. I still splurge a bit, but in time, I would like to cut that out completely. I've been eating out or eating processed foods mostly in social situations. That's my next burden from which I want to set myself free.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Mine's open. I had Twizzlers for dessert tonight, they were delicious. But instead of normally eating the whole package while I sat in front of the computer, I ate 3, that's 1/2 a serving, and a bite of hubby's coffee heath bar ice cream. And I logged it. My biggest concern is fat and cholesterol because of family history, so I do watch those, but I enjoy eating way too much to live on plain chicken and protein shakes every day. I crave variety.
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    U can check my diary out. I eat real food that I know I'll still be eating once I hit my mark. I can't live off of yogurt and fruit. But I guess to each is own.
  • JuJuB3ans
    JuJuB3ans Posts: 8
    Options
    I don't eat crazy stuff, but I do eat way different than I used to. Mostly fresh foods and poultry. During the summer I go to the local farmer's market on tuesdays and sundays to buy fresh fruits and veggies. I make myself buy one or two things I really don't know about or have never tasted before. then when i get home i look recipes up online. it keeps it interesting. i mostly eat chicken and ground turkey (turkey burgers with goat cheese are awesome!) Since I eat ALOT of "bird" I try new recipes from health mags. What stinks is my kids won't eat most of the stuff I cook, so I end up cooking twice. The main thing I have changed that affects them also is no going out to eat. We have a "date" night once a week that's it. We used to eat out 4 or 5 nights a week and breakfast and even maybe lunch on the weekends. That has really helped me!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    3 oz. of chicken and a cup of carrots? No probably not. A large plate of chicken and veggies? Yes, that is maintainable. I eat egg whites, I eat fruit, I eat vegetables, and I eat lean meats. How is that not maintainable?

Well said!!!!

Everything about my diary is delicious and fulfilling... I love grilled chicken and veggies.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am successful. I eat food. Good for you food, and some of the "other" category like frozen yogurt, and today I had a doughnut. Sometimes I eat at fast food, but the better choices there, hopefully. Sometimes I eat out, but it's been cutting down to half a portion and I've left out most of the sides because there is just no room left for a man size meal in this small lady body and some things aren't worth it. Everything has to taste good now, or it wasn't worth it to me. I don't eat a lot of tasteless food that I mindlessly shovel in. And I cut down to one serving size at a time in smaller dishes. I measure and portion my food. I'm good at it now, so that I can eyeball the amount better. Junk food makes me feel like junk now, so that helps me learn my lesson when I overindulgence to scale back.

Most days i'm eating good, real, food. . . I've been changing by eating more fruits and vegetables. Learning to like new ones. I have been editing my recipes to tweak them healthier. I spend a great deal of time in the store making better smarter choices. I think more about if I'm hungry, if I'm full, and if a food will really satisfy me.
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I ate that way myself for 18+ mo's (up until oct of 2010) and lost 155+ lbs (lowest weight was 157 in oct 2010) thanks to it. Lots of chicken, egg whites, veggies, tuna, oatmeal, natural peanut butter, almonds & a few whole eggs. I've since added a few more foods to my meal plans, however those are still staples in my nutrition.

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You would gasp looking at mine! I had ribs for dinner and a special dessert tonight that I found on the site. Some nights I have a cocktail (or 2 or 3) and I count it in, but I eat for pleasure as well as for health. Feel free to check mine out, I've been losing nicely.

Kathy
  • happymom1197
    happymom1197 Posts: 155
    Options
    Add me as a friend, and check out what I ate today':)
    Lol. I am still figuring out what works for me. I have tried every diet out there. I keep going back to a very Low calorie diet, but I am done with that now. I set my goal as -1/2 pound per week with a sedentary lifestyle. That gives me 1500 calories to eat per day. Plus, I work out and sometimes eat back every single calorie I burned. That means I will eat 2000 plus calories per day. I'm not starving, at all!!!!! I do try to take vitamins, there is so much research supporting the benefits of taking them. U should check out a few documentaries, if u have the time. Both "Food Matters" and "Fat Head" will give u a few things to think about. :) I just watched Fat Head today, and my brain is still trying to catch up. Lol
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I like how processed foods and empty carbs are now considered "real" food in our society now.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I eat a TON of food, mostly fresh fruits & veggies, legumes, nuts, seeds, and whole grains, with fish or other seafood twice a week. Today, I had sushi, which is about my only indulgence. I've lost 22 pounds in two and a half months. At this point, I'm so hooked on real food that I can't fathom going back to eating anything else for the rest of my life.
  • jenkop88
    jenkop88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just recently joined so I'm keeping my food diary pretty secret still until I get into a comfortable place, but my suggestions would be make your goal as attainable as possible. Losing 1lb. a week keeps you at a pretty decent amount of calories. Although it will take longer to lose weight, you have a higher chance of success. Other suggestions I've found helpful are drinking as much water as possible because many times when we feel hungry we are just thirsty. Wait ten minutes after eating becuase it takes some time for your stomach to tell your brain that you're full. Eat foods that stay with you like almonds, bananas, whole grains, or beans so you feel fuller for longer. Also, try to find snack foods that aren't carbs (I'm a huge fan of turkey pepperoni and cheese cubes). I have found that eating what I like in moderation and combining it with healthy, substantial choices makes me more successful. Good luck!
  • ohfong77
    ohfong77 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY agree with you. I look and see people eating 800 and 700 calories and I've been told by several certified nutritionist that it is dangerous for anyone to drop below 1200 calories because you can damage your kidneys and heart. I knew it was dangerous - just didn' t know of the real permanent things that you can do harmful by not eating enough.

I also see some people losing a lot of weight but their breakfast is a cup of coffee and coconut oil? I'm not going to eat that??

I hear your frustration - but there are people who are eating correctly and working the program. I was doing great for the first 3 weeks - I've had a yuck week this week but working to get back in the groove.

Good luck!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I love chicken and veggies! I was eating them before I was trying to lose weight just in much larger portions and lots of sauces. I think its the MOST sustainable way to lose it and keep it off actually. If all you eat is 1200 calories in junk you will be hungry and miserable all the time and then you crave junk all the time. I don't eat crazy healthy, as in I eat the whole damn egg not just the whites. But I think I eat well and it's very sustainable for me.

I know it's off topic, but there's nothing unhealthy about eggs. That's an old myth.

Thanks man...that always irks me lol.

Basically...I am happy with ANY whole food (and I even cheat...regularly). I'm not scared of fat, I'm not scared of calories, and I'm really not even scared of carbs anymore. I've lost 11lbs in 3 weeks, eating mostly Taco Bell lol.

Seriously.

I mean, I ate 1500cal for dinner tonight lol.

Also, my diet is so jacked up right now, between new work hours, trying to get my diet back clean (which is proving unnecessary, but I prefer it), raising 3 kids by myself...etc.

It's still working though...better than ever now..
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I ate 4 chips ahoy chewy gooeys today
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    LOL at the people insulting egg whites. I love them and hate the yolk! :)

Anyway, some of us (dare I say, many?) started out eating like we used to, and just lowered the portions in order to lose weight. But over time, we started implementing more healthy foods until all we craved were the healthy foods and that's what ended up filling the majority of our food diary. I used to have a planned cheat day every Friday or Saturday. Not anymore. I used to allow myself to eat pizza or a burger once a week. Not anymore. I just don't like that stuff now (except for bun-less homemade burgers, yum!). Occasionally? Yes (yesterday was my b-day so I certainly pigged out, within my cals, of course!) but it's no longer in my vocabulary anymore to say "I want some chips, gyro, Snickers, etc. today!". What you say in your OP, is the same thing I used to think to myself, while reading other's diaries, a couple months ago. But I get it now.

So my point is that although, to you, these types of foods may be unsustainable, plenty of us worked our way gradually to reprogram the type of foods we desire. Nothing more, nothing less. :)
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the people with diaries like that because I honestly feel the fullest and best after meals with mostly veggies :D BUT...I also have a lot of days where I will eat lean cuisine pizza, stouffers turkey and stuffing, or even fast food. Its an ongoing process of figuring out what works for me but I eat 100cal fudge bars every day or two, I had cake a couple days ago, arbys cheese sticks yesterday after a big workout... I definitely don't eat 'clean' and I have cheat days, but I'm still losing weight! I think the most important thing is to find balance and aim to eat more veggies and 'clean' foods than you used to.. :)