Can I just start eating more?

13»

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    x3livox wrote: »
    Did you read that article yet?

I did! And I found it interesting! It seems like everyone is saying similar things. I don't know if I need to eat at maintenance for 2-3 weeks. Maybe a week would do the trick?

Do 2-3. Seriously, the holidays are coming up, why not just take a diet break during them?

This is what I'd recommend too. Maybe go to maintenance calories from now until after the holidays and give yourself a few weeks to just relax a little bit, (still continue to track calorie intake and continue to weigh yourself like normal though). Then after Christmas go back into a calorie deficit :)

Great job on your loss so far!
  • aneedforchange
    aneedforchange Posts: 75 Member
    When I have stalled in the past I have up'd my Calories to maintenance for a week and it worked. Different things work for different people :)
  • x3livox
    x3livox Posts: 48 Member
    If you're not losing weight over a long period of time, you are not in a deficit. It doesn't matter what calculators or MFP show you should be losing at.

Okay well I'm not really sure what you're suggesting. It's not really safe for me to eat less that 1200 calories a day so...
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    If you're not losing weight over a long period of time, you are not in a deficit. It doesn't matter what calculators or MFP show you should be losing at.

Okay well I'm not really sure what you're suggesting. It's not really safe for me to eat less that 1200 calories a day so...

If you are not losing for a month on 1300 then eating at 1200 is quite safe. I couldn't find if you say whether you use a digital food scale for everything. Do you?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    OP, you're eating at about 1400, but not eating back your exercise calories? What's your calculation for exercise calories per day?

I diet break, even upping your calories to "almost" maintenance, is not only a physical break, but a mental one. If you're logging is accurate, you won't gain weight. That's the definition of maintenance--eating to maintain your weight.

I lost 45-ish pounds, took a break for about six months and then went back and lost another 50 or so. I had no problem losing once I went back to a deficit.
  • x3livox
    gebeziseva wrote: »

If you are not losing for a month on 1300 then eating at 1200 is quite safe. I couldn't find if you say whether you use a digital food scale for everything. Do you?

I did say I use a food scale, and I eat about 1200-1300 calories a day. Plus I exercise and don't eat back those calories. I don't know what that makes my net calories, and I don't think eating 1000 calories a day is a healthy thing to do.
  • x3livox
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    OP, you're eating at about 1400, but not eating back your exercise calories? What's your calculation for exercise calories per day?

I diet break, even upping your calories to "almost" maintenance, is not only a physical break, but a mental one. If you're logging is accurate, you won't gain weight. That's the definition of maintenance--eating to maintain your weight.

I lost 45-ish pounds, took a break for about six months and then went back and lost another 50 or so. I had no problem losing once I went back to a deficit.

I don't eat 1400 calories. I eat between 1200 and 1300. My question was if I just ate 1400 a day how would that affect me.
    I try to do at least 500 calories for exercise on the days I work out.
    But thanks for sharing your experience!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    OP, what is your TDEE?
  • DebSozo
    Okay so I feel like I should clarify I have no intention of completely stopping. I still have a ways to go and I'm going to get there no matter how long it takes:)
    My question is more along the lines of
    A) my weight loss is supposed to slow down like this (although like I said it's been a while since I've seen much lbs lost). In which case I'm asking if eating about 200 calories more a day would slow it down even more or if it won't affect me period.
    B)if I should start being super strict with myself again.
    Or C) if i should just keep doing what I've been doing the past couple of weeks, and eventually my weight loss will continue on as before.

for those asking, I do log accurately. And even if by some mistake I wasn't, my maintenance calories at this weight are over 2000, which I don't even eat close to, never mind above.
    Also I do work out.

And thank you all so much for responding!

I plateaued after about 5 months of dieting and was miserable maintaining at low calories. I did a reverse diet slowly because I figured that I wanted to bring my maintenance level back up to a reasonable amount. I did not gain weight.

Next, I deliberately stayed at maintenance and did some recomp. I did not want to gain. As I proceeded with recomp my body shape changed-- flatter stomach, more definition in arms and legs, etc. My clothes fit and looked better on me even while at the same weight.

Now I plan to go back into a deficit again but intend to plan in "diet breaks" along the way to regroup. When I do take a break, I'm going to go into maintenance and eat up to but not above TDEE calories.

If it is any solace, you will likely be able to maintain your loss for the long term if you are able to keep it off for a good amount of time. The body tries to stabilize and go into homeostasis.

You say your maintenance calories are "over 2000" at your weight, but what are they exactly? It is really easy to eat up to maintenance if you don't log every bite. As you lose weight the deficit gets smaller.

First of all, try logging carefully every single thing you eat or drink. Don't forget to measure out and record drinks. They add up easily.

If you are currently eating back calories and your 1200 calories are net, then whatever device you are using might be overestimating calorie burn. TDEE calories will be higher than MFP's NEAT estimations because you don't eat back calories when using TDEE.
  • x3livox
    DebSozo wrote: »
    OP, what is your TDEE?

I guess it's 2060
  • x3livox
    Okay so I feel like I should clarify I have no intention of completely stopping. I still have a ways to go and I'm going to get there no matter how long it takes:)
    My question is more along the lines of
    A) my weight loss is supposed to slow down like this (although like I said it's been a while since I've seen much lbs lost). In which case I'm asking if eating about 200 calories more a day would slow it down even more or if it won't affect me period.
    B)if I should start being super strict with myself again.
    Or C) if i should just keep doing what I've been doing the past couple of weeks, and eventually my weight loss will continue on as before.

for those asking, I do log accurately. And even if by some mistake I wasn't, my maintenance calories at this weight are over 2000, which I don't even eat close to, never mind above.
    Also I do work out.

And thank you all so much for responding!

I plateaued after about 5 months of dieting and was miserable maintaining at low calories. I did a reverse diet slowly because I figured that I wanted to bring my maintenance level back up to a reasonable amount. I did not gain weight.

Next, I deliberately stayed at maintenance and did some recomp. I did not want to gain. As I proceeded with recomp my body shape changed-- flatter stomach, more definition in arms and legs, etc. My clothes fit and looked better on me even while at the same weight.

Now I plan to go back into a deficit again but intend to plan in "diet breaks" along the way to regroup. When I do take a break, I'm going to go into maintenance and eat up to but not above TDEE calories.

If it is any solace, you will likely be able to maintain your loss for the long term if you are able to keep it off for a good amount of time. The body tries to stabilize and go into homeostasis.

You say your maintenance calories are "over 2000" at your weight, but what are they exactly? It is really easy to eat up to maintenance if you don't log every bite. As you lose weight the deficit gets smaller.

First of all, try logging carefully every single thing you eat or drink. Don't forget to measure out and record drinks. They add up easily.

If you are currently eating back calories and your 1200 calories are net, then whatever device you are using might be overestimating calorie burn. TDEE calories will be higher than MFP's NEAT estimations because you don't eat back calories when using TDEE.

I don't eat back calories.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    To get back to the original question (as in the title) - why don't you try eating more and see if you start losing?
  • DebSozo
    OP, what is your TDEE?

I guess it's 2060

Okay. If your TDEE maintenance amount in fact is 2060, then try eating at 1560 to lose 1 pound a week. You will gain a few pounds quickly due to replenished glycogen stores. Stay hydrated and in a few days the water weight will start to drop back down.

Or you could add calories slowly to avoid the water whoosh up if you have time and patience. It isn't set in stone. You might have to play with numbers to tweak 1560 down if 2060 is not actually your TDEE.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Something I've noticed is that you keep saying you're eating "about" a certain number of calories. This makes me wonder how closely you're measuring your actual intake. If you're not precisely weighing and measuring everything you're eating, it can be amazingly easy to eat way more calories than you think you are.
  • DebSozo
    OP you will have to buckle down and find your true TDEE in order to weigh and count accurately for your deficit. You can't estimate or you will calorie creep up over time as you get lax.
  • x3livox
    OP, what is your TDEE?

I guess it's 2060

Okay. If your TDEE maintenance amount in fact is 2060, then try eating at 1560 to lose 1 pound a week. You will gain a few pounds quickly due to replenished glycogen stores. Stay hydrated and in a few days the water weight will start to drop back down.

Or you could add calories slowly to avoid the water whoosh up if you have time and patience. It isn't set in stone. You might have to play with numbers to tweak 1560 down if 2060 is not actually your TDEE.
    OP you will have to buckle down and find your true TDEE in order to weigh and count accurately for your deficit. You can't estimate or you will calorie creep up over time as you get lax.

Thank you so much for this!
  • x3livox
    Something I've noticed is that you keep saying you're eating "about" a certain number of calories. This makes me wonder how closely you're measuring your actual intake. If you're not precisely weighing and measuring everything you're eating, it can be amazingly easy to eat way more calories than you think you are.

By "about" I just was rounding numbers up or down by a few. Like some days I eat 1234 or some days I eat 1270. I was just trying to keep it simple for everyone. But I eat between 1200 and 1300 a day. That's all I meant by about.
  • susannekb
    susannekb Posts: 31 Member
    OP I'm wondering if your TDEE is accurate? If I pop 162lb, 5'3" and a 25 year old sedentary female into one of the online calculators I get a TDEE of 1739. If you are eating 1400/1500 calories a day you have a much smaller deficit then if you think your TDEE is 2030. This could mean any weight loss is actually being masked by water weight - you are actually losing just a lot slower than you think.
  • x3livox
    OP I'm wondering if your TDEE is accurate? If I pop 162lb, 5'3" and a 25 year old sedentary female into one of the online calculators I get a TDEE of 1739. If you are eating 1400/1500 calories a day you have a much smaller deficit then if you think your TDEE is 2030. This could mean any weight loss is actually being masked by water weight - you are actually losing just a lot slower than you think.

Well I'm 20, and I have my activity level at lightly active. I don't eat 1400/1500 right now. I eat 1200/1300. So I think my TDEE is a little higher