my story

Options
MrsRaia
MrsRaia Posts: 18 Member
Though I lost most of my weight last year, and have successfully maintained for almost a whole year now (while adding a lb or two of weight loss here and there still) - I reflected back on my motivation and success today.

You see, 2 years ago around this time it was summer and I was passing by a water park type thing with my kids. I knew I couldn't go there- why? my daughter had a trach and she couldn't swim with one. But I also knew the doctors said she was getting closer to be able to have it removed (the trach). So that would mean we could do stuff like that. Though, I think I used the "well my daughter has a trach so I don't do water stuff because of her" thing to my benefit as I HATED being in a bathing suit. And I said- my goodness, I want to ENJOY every moment of her finally getting to be in the water and swimming and not have to sit there being scared of the swimsuit. And it took me a few months of mulling things over to really get that determination going (actually like 6 more months after that).

I thrusted forward with the diet around the end of February 2010 at a size 18-20 and by the beginning of August 2010 (one year after I said what I said) I was a size 10 and 50 lbs lighter - hitting my original goal.

In November 2010 she had her trach removed, by February 2011 her trach hole was closed and this summer we have been swimming EVERYWHERE. And there I stand in my swimsuit... still my imperfect body, yet a body I am comfortable in, not one I am trying to cover up with a big dress or hide completely. I am not thinking about how I look- I am standing there in awe of my daughter who finally after 5 1/2 years of having a trach can participate in swimming pools with other kids, and with HER MOM TOO!!! I am swimming around, laughing, having a blast this summer and reflecting on it all. Today especially since I watched her for the first time go completely under the water- something she would've died from before she is now happily doing. I just am so thrilled for her and not distracted by anything else like my weight!!!! So a BIG yay for that.

Since August 2010 I have only lost 6 more pounds. But still 56 pounds is something to be happy about. And I truly believe slowly but surely my "new goal" will be reached but if not - yes I'm not perfect, but I'm happy and healthy.... thanks to the changes I made in my life. And I'm so proud to be able to share this joy with my daughter! :)

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Welcome.
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    Aw, your story is beautiful! Congrats on your daughter's trach being removed, and congrats on your 56 lb loss! It truely is a lot, and you should be very proud of yourself!
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Awww what an amazing story! You sound like a fabulous mommy =)
  • KEMerriman
    KEMerriman Posts: 14
    Options
    Great Job! I am sure that your daughter is loving having you there to see her swim like she couldn't before! It sounds like you all are having a great summer! Keep it up!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you AND your daughter! :):):)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your inspiring story.
  • heatherleigh12
    Options
    thankyou for sharing you are an inspration!!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Beautiful. Just.... beautiful.
  • mrsmichellewilson
    mrsmichellewilson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    that's an awesome story....brought happy tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing
  • CatharinaC
    CatharinaC Posts: 32
    Options
    Your story gives me hope and it is very inspiring, not just for your amazing weight loss but your daughters story also..
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    As a mother of a daughter who needed a trach for the first 4 years of her life, I know how important the moment is when it is removed and they can go swimming for the first time. I also know how important it is to feel comfortable in your skin so you can enjoy the moment together.

Congratulations on the weight loss! I hope your daughter is continuing to be happy and healthy, along with her mommy!
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What a great story! Thanks for sharing with us.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story! You are inpsirational! Congrats on your sweetheart getting her trach removed!!!:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!